Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Room sharing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494170)

EmsMom 02-22-2013 04:32 PM

Room sharing

I'm dying for a third baby. DD is almost 8 and DS is 6. DH said he would want the kids to all have their own rooms. So that would mean us moving as we only have a 3 bdrm. Is it appropriate for a baby to share with an older kid? I'd feel bad making my 8yr old share with a baby. Although our neighbors have done just that, they have two little ones sharing with their 9 and 11yr olds. Just looking for opinions on this. Neither of our kids have huge rooms either.

l_Kimmie_l 02-22-2013 04:53 PM

Re: Room sharing

I would put a 6 and 8 yr old together, but not either with a baby.

Fashionably Green Baby 02-22-2013 05:05 PM

Until a month ago all 3 of my kids shared a room. They are currently 7, just turned 4, and 19 months. ODD was 3 1/2 when DS was born and he slept in our room until 5 months old and then moved to the room with ODD so she would have just turned 4. Then when YDD was born she roomed with us until 8 months and then joined the older 2 in the kids room so they were 6, newly 3 and 8 months. They did fine.

Now we have 3 bedrooms so the 2 girls share. Ages 7yo and 19 months and 4 yo son has his own room.

FernHollow 02-22-2013 05:07 PM

It wouldn't phase me at all. My almost 7yo, almost 5yo, 3yo and 18mo boys all share a big room together and love it. Before we moved to our current house our dd who was 7 at the time shared with her little brother who was a baby (the now 3yo). She adored him and loved having him in her room. He ended up in dd's room because my now 5yo was just too rowdy at the time. I had been pg with #6 (m/c) and our plan had been that if we had a girl that she would have shared with our dd who would have been 9.5 at that point. I have absolutely no problems with kids sharing rooms at all. I think the whole idea of each kid requiring their own room is a rather first world problem and a bit silly.

Nora+6 02-22-2013 05:13 PM

A few months after our youngest was born, he moved from our bedroom to his 11 year old sister's. They shared the room until we moved, about a month before his first birthday. It worked out just fine.

At the time, we lived in a cape cod style home: one level home (with basement) with a set of stairs, leading up to a large room. It was my husband and me, a 16 year old boy, an 11 year old girl, and an infant boy. We had the 16 year old upstairs, so that we could be nearer our young daughter. When the youngest was born, we certainly weren't going to put him upstairs and my daughter didn't mind sharing, thankfully.

poohbear1208 02-22-2013 06:29 PM

Our 10 year old and 8 year old share a room, always have. Our baby on the way will either share with brother, age 6, or sister, age 1 year, depending on if its a boy or girl ;) he or she will start out with the 1 year old until they are older, probably 2 or 3ish. I personally don't think kids need their own rooms- I shared with my sis for many years

Green Decals 02-22-2013 07:18 PM

We have a 2 bedroom house (though the bedrooms are huge) and all of our kids will share a room. Currently our newbie is with us, and will be until she weans, but the boys (6 and 3.5) share a room. And, for that matter, they share a bed, too. Eventually we will probably get bunk beds, but our DD will probably bed share with DS2 for a while, assuming DS1 wants his own bed by then. If not, they will all bed share. I always loved to sleep with my brother, but our parents kept forcing us into our own rooms. I always felt more secure near him, and hated sleeping alone.

sillymama 02-22-2013 07:29 PM

I am due with #4 in June and I am seriously considering putting the baby with my oldest who is 6. Then I would put my 4 and almost 2 year old together. My reasoning is that the 6 year old sleeps much deeper than the 2 year old so she wouldn't be bothered by the nighttime waking. The oldest 2 didn't start sharing a room until 2 years ago ad they love it. My oldest always said she didn't want to be alone.

I really think room sharing is such a good thing for children. The worst roommates I had in college were those that had never shared a room before. Sharing space is a valuable lesson to learn.

Fashionably Green Baby 02-22-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FernHollow
<snip>I have absolutely no problems with kids sharing rooms at all. I think the whole idea of each kid requiring their own room is a rather first world problem and a bit silly.

I totally agree. I don't have my own room and frankly I don't like to sleep alone. It doesn't surprise me that the kids don't like to sleep alone eithet

acwakip 02-22-2013 08:14 PM

I have no problem with a baby rooming in with an older sibling. That was our arrangement for quite some time.