Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Radian FF seated height? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494232)

Subversive Cupcake 02-22-2013 08:06 PM

Radian FF seated height?

I feel like I should be able to find this, but I can't...

What is the max seated height for a child in a Radian XTL? My daughter is 42" tall, 24" seated (bum to head) and I'm wondering if she's reached the max height for her Radian. She seems a bit squished, and when I took it to a car seat check they were pretty baffled in general by the "strange" car seat...

Thanks!!

Subversive Cupcake 02-22-2013 08:39 PM

Re: Radian FF seated height?

Oh! And any idea on the FF height limit for a Truefit Premier? If that is higher I'll just switch the kids seats...

lilychic4 02-22-2013 09:06 PM

The radian is outgrown by weight or when the tips of child's ears go above the shell. Diono allows shoulders over the top harness slots.
The True Fit has lower top harness slots and the seat is outgrown when shoulders go above the top slot.

The radian is pretty close in shoulder height to most of the other FFing harness combo booster seats. Only the Britax Frontier offers any significant growing room off the top of my head if you need to harness longer.

canadianbakers 02-23-2013 07:21 AM

:yeahthat: but I think the Radian only allows for shoulders one inch above the top harness slot? I could be wrong there, though... and I'm still not sure I'm comfortable with going above, but we're not close yet.

here it says:
radian - up to 57"
true fit - up to 50"

Subversive Cupcake 02-23-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilychic4 (Post 16322576)
The radian is outgrown by weight or when the tips of child's ears go above the shell. Diono allows shoulders over the top harness slots.
The True Fit has lower top harness slots and the seat is outgrown when shoulders go above the top slot.

The radian is pretty close in shoulder height to most of the other FFing harness combo booster seats. Only the Britax Frontier offers any significant growing room off the top of my head if you need to harness longer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianbakers (Post 16323387)
:yeahthat: but I think the Radian only allows for shoulders one inch above the top harness slot? I could be wrong there, though... and I'm still not sure I'm comfortable with going above, but we're not close yet.

here it says:
radian - up to 57"
true fit - up to 50"

Thanks! My daughter has always been in the high percentages, and is the size of a 5/6 year old. She's 3 and I want to keep her in the safest seat for her, but she is starting to look like she is above the shoulder slots and I'm wondering what I am going to do next.

You Tell 'Em 02-23-2013 01:54 PM

My 5.5 yr old is 46" tall and in a Radian. We used to have her in a Frontier but had to switch to puzzle seats for 3-across better. She looks like she will outgrow the Radian quicker than she would in the Frontier (harness wise). When that happens we might have to switch back seats :giggle:

momto2es 02-24-2013 10:18 AM

Can someone tell me why it would be ok for the shoulder straps to be below their shoulders in the Radian? That's what we have, and my oldest is getting close. I'd say she'll make it another 6 months or so.

But it makes no sense why everything we're told says NOT to do that, but Radian would say it is ok. It's not like the forces of nature are different just because you are seated in a Radian.:headscratch:

lilychic4 02-24-2013 03:17 PM

Diono allows it because the height of the shell is low relative to the harness slots. If the tips of a child's ears were even with the shell, their shoulder would be over the harness by only about an inch. Diono has done testing with shoulders an inch over the harness and they feel it's an acceptable load on the child based on the width of the harness slots, the stretch of the harness webbing, and whatever other factors affect shoulder load.

You are correct that they are absolutely the exception to the rule. Diono also recommends LATCH to 80 pounds and completely disregarding the weight limit set by the vehicle manufacturer because they feel they can back up their crash test data.

Other car seat manufacturers say a harness must be above a child's shoulders for FFing so the harness isn't pulling down on the shoulders when the child is moving forward in a wreck.

momto2es 02-24-2013 03:48 PM

See, my oldest has tons of room above her head in her seat, but about 1/2" until her shoulders hit the harness slot. I'd think by the time her ears got that high up on the shell, those straps would be well below her shoulders. I don't know if I am ok with that honestly, no matter what they say.