Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Help, in pain from pinched nerve in neck! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494329)

crunchymamaNY 02-23-2013 11:07 AM

Help, in pain from pinched nerve in neck!

Last week, I pinched a nerve in my neck, and I've been in such pain from it! It starts high into my neck, then radiates throughout the back of my neck, down my left shoulder, and left arm. I cannot sit, stand, type, turn my head, lift things with my left arm, carry my son, or anything! I can't drive well, and worse of all, I CAN'T SLEEP!!!! Laying down sends the nerve flaming throughout the area putting me an agony all night long. I've tried sleeping in every different position, tried sleeping sitting up, in a recliner, in bed, and on the floor with no relief. I've tried motrin, tylenol, heat and cool compresses, and going to the chiropractor 2 times with not even the smallest releif. I've even gotten a 1 hour massage (a friend help pay for it), and although the massage helped a few hours, it went right back to the horrible pain I'm in. It happened a week ago Sunday morning when I strectched, and I heard a pop. The pain was immediate, and never let loose.

I need help and don't know what to do. I can't afford to keep trying new things, and honestly, I have no brains left as I have such lack of sleep. Its pretty painful.

My husband said I should go to urgent care, but what are they gonna do? Honestly, they will just tell me what I already have done.

At least with labor, it comes and goes with the pain, but this is panic stricken straight through freaking out awful pain.

I'm apx 16 weeks pregnant. I called my midwife, and she suggested the things I already done. :(

samham 02-23-2013 12:57 PM

I would first recommend a chiropractor. If you can't afford to see one, then a soft rubber ball rubbed against wall between neck/shoulder/back will help work out kinks. When you feel it hit the hard spot, push against it a little harder. Also pulling or pushing yourself through a doorway using your arms to hold yourself up may help. So if you are holding onto sides of door frame, let your body lean through it. Same thing backwards. Hope it helps.

crunchymamaNY 02-23-2013 04:26 PM

Re: Help, in pain from pinched nerve in neck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by samham (Post 16324463)
I would first recommend a chiropractor. If you can't afford to see one, then a soft rubber ball rubbed against wall between neck/shoulder/back will help work out kinks. When you feel it hit the hard spot, push against it a little harder. Also pulling or pushing yourself through a doorway using your arms to hold yourself up may help. So if you are holding onto sides of door frame, let your body lean through it. Same thing backwards. Hope it helps.

thanks. I did see the chiro twice, and there was no relief at all. In fact, it made things worse :( Not only did I have the pain, but every time I moved after going there, I heard cracking noises in my body, and it really grosses me out. I can't go back as I just cannot take that cracking sounds.

ashliemh 02-25-2013 01:23 PM

Hi mama...I have a really great chiropractor that helped me a ton with neck pain. One thing that he suggested is to roll up a bath towel and put a hot pack in it. Then lay on it with the roll under your neck for 15 minutes. He said to lay on the floor with knees bent. This helped me so much! I did it every night for a week and my neck is so much better. I am so sorry this happened to you, neck pain is miserable! I hope you feel much better soon!

canadianbakers 02-25-2013 02:43 PM

My DH is good at finding the knots in my back/shoulders and then kneading/massaging them out - it's not comfortable, actually quite painful, but it's better than being in pain all the time for weeks, kwim?

Could your DH try to find the knot for you?

abunchoflemons 02-25-2013 02:47 PM

physical therapist & chiro

crunchymamaNY 02-26-2013 05:28 AM

Thanks ladies. It's horrible still! No sleep and this is day 10!! I'm so very tired. I'm gaining weight because I'm just not moving around, and because I'm depressed, I've ate more. Plus, being awake at night, I've gotten hungry, so I eat another meal in the middle of the night. If I don't, I get nausiated and the neck, shoulder, arm, and back pain intensifies.

My husband felt my upper back the other day and he said he actually felt lumps and it freaked him out and he stopped. Knowing I have lumps is freaking me out!

I go see my primary to get some help today. Maybe she'll have ideas. She's also an OB (just not my OB).

I had a huge exam and practical in Anatomy and physiology yesterday and I didn't even know it was for yesterday! I thought it was for wed. Man, that really upset me, and I wasn't ready for it. Plus, we had to look in 20 different microscopes, plus several models to identify things, and just bending down each thing to look at it, OWCH! My writing looked like a first graders writing at best.

I have such a busy day today, going to MOPS, then WIC, then my primary, and I have to hitail back home in time for the kids to get off the bus.