Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   FTM natural birth in hospital (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494581)

Felix3142 02-24-2013 02:10 PM

FTM natural birth in hospital

Hi ladies! For those of you who desired a natural birth in a hospital, how did you prep for it? Also, what were the reasons you couldn't go natural despite your wishes? Would you have changed anything about your birth experience? Am trying to write a reasonable birth plan and would love the input!
TIA!

EmilytheStrange 02-24-2013 02:19 PM

Re: FTM natural birth in hospital

hello there!

I prepped by choosing a hospital midwife who supported my desire to go unmedicated, preparing myself by reading and taking classes so that my husband and I could identify the transitions. I wrote up a very simple birth plan that still prolly went unread and I told the nurses on duty that we were planning for an unmedicated birth.

I honestly wouldn't have changed anything about my birth experience as it came to the hospital part. But, I was unable to relax during contractions and I would have changed that if possible. I knew I was making it harder - I read enough to know that I was not responding correctly to the contractions - but I was unable to change my response. I did not expect back labor after my water breaking and could not have anticipated the amount of pain that that particular combination produces.

For my second birth, I have hired a doula who will help me relax if I am having difficulties responding well again.

abunchoflemons 02-24-2013 02:25 PM

I did epidural with first as I had back lake but with all kids was open as my last was only natural. my friend said it helps to deny you are in labor to go longer unmedicated. i know by time i thought i wanted one no iv & not ready as time to push..... good luck.

DottieHarley 02-24-2013 02:38 PM

We did a bradley method class with a traditional OB at a hospital. DH was 100 pct on board and in the end that made all the difference IMO.
Our Bradley class spent a good bit of time on what-ifs, like lanor doesn't progress, baby is breech, csection, etc. turns out my water broke at the OB's (so no fibbing the timeline), labor did not progress, and we KNEW we were an hour or so away from a csection, so DH and I discussed and said, bring on the Pitocin!!
Oh my. Labor started with a vengeance. I literally went somewhere else in my mind. However, thanks to Bradley stuff running through my mind and DH NOT pushing, honey just get the epi, we made it through and 27 hours later DD was born.
Pushing is a walk in the @$(@&& park after contractions with Pitocin :-) and my physical recovery was lightning fast. We had a birth plan that i would describe as natural but flexible/realistic. My no 1 tip is to have your birth partner 100 pct on board. 2nd is to have an L&D nurse who is on board as well. I wish we had spoken up after a shift change brought us a non-helpful nurse. I would not change a thing (within our control) except I wish we had spoken up.
ETA PPs comment about relaxing. At a certain point I was physically unable to relax as the Pit was seriously in control :-(. I concentrated on alternately relaxing single parts of my body - for one contraction I would try to relax my upper body and let my lower tense up. Another I would try to relax just my face, or feet, or whatever. It was literally as much as I could handle but gave me something to focus on.

Raspberry Kisses 02-24-2013 02:46 PM

I planned an unmedicated hospital birth with my first and had to have a C-section after 9 1/2 hours of labor. Turns out she was breech and no one knew, not even the nurses (which I was told later should not have happened). Anyway, even though I had to have surgery, I'm glad I labored as long as I did unmedicated because it helped my body prepare to breastfeed. Because she passed meconium in utero, she was in the NICU for 5 days and the hospital pediatrician refused to release her until she had been given a bottle of formula. Needless to say, nursing was an uphill battle when we got home. I insisted, though, and ended up nursing for 23 months. :)

Just remember that things can happen that are outside of our control and it doesn't mean that you're a "bad mom." Do the best you can and don't feel bad if everything doesn't fall into place; life rarely does. You're going to be a great mom regardless of how your little one joins the world. :)

Felix3142 02-24-2013 02:48 PM

That's really helpful feedback ladies! Will note down all these points. I wanted to take Bradley classes but can't justify the cost to my husband :( we are "laboring" through the book now, which is not the same thing but still something :)

Dottie, hats off to you for surviving so long through Pitocin...that's my biggest fear, water breaking before contrax start or needing induction...really hope I don't have that bad luck! I'll ask about supportive nurses during my hospital tour and again for the delivery :D

bqmomma 02-24-2013 03:06 PM

I had an induced VBAC with my second and hired a doula to help me stay medication-free. We had a well-written birth plan and I refused to sign any consent forms for medication. When I thought I really needed relief, my doula and my husband were the best support. They knew what I really wanted and refused to let the nurses give me anything. I am so thankful I had them by my side!

Lifeisjoy 02-24-2013 03:29 PM

I highly suggest the book Hypnobirthing, really helped me stay home till I was 8 cm! Staying home as long as you can will help labor go faster. Sitting on a excersise ball helps too.. back labor is a witch! Tell hubby to rub one of those massage tools when the contrax hit.
talk with your OB about going natural and get her support, and when you get to the hospital, tell the nurses first of your wishes.

EmilytheStrange 02-24-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felix3142 (Post 16327925)
that's my biggest fear, water breaking before contrax start or needing induction...really hope I don't have that bad luck! I'll ask about supportive nurses during my hospital tour and again for the delivery :D

my labor started with water breaking and we chose not to use pitocin. We used an electric breastpump to induce labor. So, there are other options.

these are not things that I would try randomly just to try and start labor, but when you're in the hospital because your water broke and you're trying to avoid pitocin, then they become real options.

I will also be starting the miles circuit at 37weeks this time. Just to have additional relaxation options. http://www.milescircuit.com/

birdinhand 02-24-2013 04:23 PM

Lots of good stuff here. I had two totally unmedicated births in the hospital, and I had midwives who knew excatly what I wanted (which I knew, because I had such a bad experience with my first with an OB in a different town and hospital). I had a doula, my husband absolutely knew what I wanted, and I was up front with the nurses when we checked-in about what I wanted -- in a nice, conversational way.

We had a thread about this in the April DD section: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1490813