Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Where do we start? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494672)

Dancy Baby 02-24-2013 07:08 PM

Where do we start?

My husband and I just bought our first home and we move in May (yay!). We both agree we need to declutter and go more minimalist, but I have no idea where to start!

Tris 02-24-2013 07:09 PM

Re: Where do we start?

Clothes was the easiest for me to start with. Get rid of anything you haven't worn in a year. :)

Dancy Baby 02-24-2013 07:26 PM

Hmmm, I was thinking that, but I have triple the wardrobe now, from maternity clothes, post baby and nursing clothes, and regular wardrobe. We are planning to try for #2 when our ds is a year. Also, we are both in the military and have whole other wardrobes and tons of kit from that!

deezee02 02-24-2013 08:34 PM

Kitchen....

Just pick a spot. I moves fast from there

kimb96 02-24-2013 08:51 PM

Get rid of stuff as you pack. You have an opportunity to start with a clean slate in the new home.

babynme8 02-24-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimb96 (Post 16329155)
Get rid of stuff as you pack. You have an opportunity to start with a clean slate in the new home.

I agree with this. If you find stuff you are on the fence about toss it all into one box and don't unpack it. After a set number of days if you haven't had to fetch something out pitch or donate the whole box.

Dancy Baby 02-24-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babynme8

I agree with this. If you find stuff you are on the fence about toss it all into one box and don't unpack it. After a set number of days if you haven't had to fetch something out pitch or donate the whole box.

That's a great idea. We should start with the garage that is full of boxes of stuff we haven't even unpacked from our last move! I can't wait to get rid of all the crap I fell like its weighing me down.

lalaith 02-24-2013 10:29 PM

I started with clothes. Anything that doesn't fit (not maternity clothes, like things from high school), has holes/rips/tears, or that you absolutely hate and never wear.

It shouldn't be too difficult to part with those things, and it'll get the ball rolling.

Dancy Baby 02-25-2013 07:51 AM

Yup, I've decided clothes and shoes. I'm not so bad except for the shoes, DH really does have clothes from High school!

The thing is, how do you decide what to keep or get rid of if stuff still fits? Should have a max of a certain item for example? I can think if an example, race t-shirts from running that I probably have 40 of, some of them have sentimental value.

moonlightblonde 02-25-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancy Baby (Post 16330139)
Yup, I've decided clothes and shoes. I'm not so bad except for the shoes, DH really does have clothes from High school!

The thing is, how do you decide what to keep or get rid of if stuff still fits? Should have a max of a certain item for example? I can think if an example, race t-shirts from running that I probably have 40 of, some of them have sentimental value.

Do you wear them? Do you love them? Do they get used? I would probably keep 1-2 as long as it gets WORN. Take pictures? That helped my sister let go of some things.

To me 40 of ANYTHING would be too much, I don't know that I have 40 pieces of clothing in total.