Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   What is the difference between Singapore Math U.S Ed and Standard Ed? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494775)

Luvingmy4boys 02-25-2013 08:05 AM

What is the difference between Singapore Math U.S Ed and Standard Ed?

What is the main difference between Singapore Math US Ed and the Standard Ed? The standard edition has a book of tests that I can use for both editions which I like.

Are all the workbook/textbook answers in the Home Instructor's Guide?

blondeviolin 02-25-2013 09:14 AM

Re: What is the difference between Singapore Math U.S Ed and Standard Ed?

http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Primary_Math_s/15.htm

The HIG for Standards is supposed to be better. I have only used Standards and really love the HIG.

Luvingmy4boys 02-25-2013 09:25 AM

Thank you for that link!

Can you confirm that there are tests provided in the Standards Ed Textbooks? I just noticed a site that says they are included in the texts so I don't have to purchase separately.

HeatherlovesCDs 02-25-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondeviolin (Post 16330530)
http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Primary_Math_s/15.htm

The HIG for Standards is supposed to be better. I have only used Standards and really love the HIG.

This is exactly what I was going to post. :)

I use the US Edition and use the HIG and love it. ;)

I have not heard anything about the Standards HIG being better. I've only seen mine and I don't have a problem with it.

Do you know what is supposed to be better about it? I have wondered if I should switch to the Standards version. We are only in 1a (about to move to 1b). So, if we wanted to, we could switch.

7mom7 02-25-2013 10:07 AM

I appreciate this thread...I've wondered about this too. I'm pasting this quote from the link above...

"It is similar to the US Edition but has some rearrangement of topics and some added units, primarily in probability and data analysis, negative numbers, and coordinate graphing. "

So maybe the Standard version is the way to go?

HeatherlovesCDs 02-25-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7mom7 (Post 16330771)
I appreciate this thread...I've wondered about this too. I'm pasting this quote from the link above...

"It is similar to the US Edition but has some rearrangement of topics and some added units, primarily in probability and data analysis, negative numbers, and coordinate graphing. "

So maybe the Standard version is the way to go?

My understanding is that there are many people who feel this is not needed in the younger grades. Children will still learn it, but not until slightly older. I don't really know where I fall in thinking they should or should not have it at a younger age. I choose US because from what I've seen it is more popular (though that could simply be because it's been around longer) and because it is what the makers of the boxed curriculum I use suggests. They fall into the category of thinking children don't need it until later. So far, their suggestions have always been good for us. But, I have thought about changing. I'm totally on the fence though.

blondeviolin 02-25-2013 12:17 PM

The HIG in standards provides mental math practice, games, appendices with sheets, but I've heard where it really shines in instructions to the teacher. There are samples of each on the SM site.

There are answers in the HIG to workbook problems, but no tests. There ARE reviews in both the text and workbook. We're finishing up 2b and have had no need for the tests.

HeatherlovesCDs 02-25-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondeviolin (Post 16331362)
The HIG in standards provides mental math practice, games, appendices with sheets, but I've heard where it really shines in instructions to the teacher. There are samples of each on the SM site.

There are answers in the HIG to workbook problems, but no tests. There ARE reviews in both the text and workbook. We're finishing up 2b and have had no need for the tests.

I'll have to look at the examples specifically of the Standards HIG. What you say is all included in the US Edition as well. I will admit that every now and again I have to read the HIG instructions a couple times before I understand exactly what it's trying to have me do. I assumed it was just me having been out of school for so long and not at all being a teacher yet trying to teach math. :blush: I'll have to check it out on their site.

ETA - The sample pages on the website are EXACTLY the same as mine, word for word and picture for picture including the answer key. The only difference was the page number and the pages of the textbook/workbook listed to do (but the answers were the same suggesting the corresponding work is the same as well). I have the US Edition and I was looking at the Standards example online (I double checked to make sure). So, at least I feel better now that I don't think I have an inferior HIG. :giggle: I'm still not sold on which edition we should be using though.

7mom7 02-25-2013 12:33 PM

Another question, I'm certain this has been asked before...if you get the HIG do you need the teacher's guide? I'm not concerned with testing...I can tell if he's learning it or not. I think I've read that you need both the textbook and the workbook, they are both cheap so that's fine but the teacher guide is pretty pricey.

7mom7 02-25-2013 12:36 PM

Right now we have Essential Math for K...wasn't exactly sure what I'd need with the Standards and it was much more expensive for K.