Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Would you be annoyed? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494777)

kaia.aline 02-25-2013 08:21 AM

I am having a custom diaper bag made. I wanted to send in my own special fabric for a part of the bag so I messaged the seller before purchasing the listing. I did not expect a discount for sending my 3/4yd fabric (this is important later) now after taking about everything she wants me to send in the fabric for the whole bag 6yds which is fine. She is worried she won't match the fabric to my liking so I understand. However I am expected to pay full price for the bag (she typically provides the fabric for her customers) and there is not discount for the fact that I'm sending all my own fabric. I dont expect retail of the fabric off ( one of my fabrics is $35/yd) but I do think that it's unfair this bag will be more expensive for me than anyone else who buys her bag.

sojomisa 02-25-2013 08:24 AM

Re: Would you be annoyed?

I don't think I would be. Have you asked why she wants so much?

Tris 02-25-2013 08:25 AM

What is she worried about? Why does she want a full 6 yards? How does she not know how much yardage it takes to make a diaper bag?

JellEBeanDesigns 02-25-2013 08:25 AM

I feel like I missed half your post

kaia.aline 02-25-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JellEBeanDesigns
I feel like I missed half your post

There was a glitch in the app and only half my post went through lol

kaia.aline 02-25-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tris
What is she worried about? Why does she want a full 6 yards? How does she not know how much yardage it takes to make a diaper bag?

She needs a full 5yds for the bag but since the fabric I'm sending is only 3/4yd and a directional print she needs a little extra

Tris 02-25-2013 08:28 AM

Ahh got the rest. No, I wouldn't be annoyed. Customs are generally more expensive, and the cost of the product lies in the talent and time to make it, not the materials, for the most part.
Edit- I don't quite understand the material thing, does she need 3/4 yard or 5 yards?

laila 02-25-2013 08:31 AM

I would probably ask for some kind of discount. If she is not providing the fabric, and usually does than she is saving a lot of money. Part of the savings should go to you. If she is unwilling, than I'd be tempted to find another person to make. There are too many great WAHM stores here for you to settle on someone who seems like she is too lazy to match your previous fabric. What is she worried about? All she has to do is send you pics of your fabric choices for you to match it up with. Sounds a little unexperienced or just busy?!

kaia.aline 02-25-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tris
Ahh got the rest. No, I wouldn't be annoyed. Customs are generally more expensive, and the cost of the product lies in the talent and time to make it, not the materials, for the most part.
I wouldn't want to send her all 6 yards however, shipping alone :yuck:

Every bag she makes is made to order and they pick out their fabric from her selections, she doesn't do ready to ship bags

Tris 02-25-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaia.aline (Post 16330306)
Every bag she makes is made to order and they pick out their fabric from her selections, she doesn't do ready to ship bags

Are the fabric options generally $35 a yard? Most of the select a pattern types I see are of the $5 plus a 1/2 off coupon variety.