Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Talk to me about wetbags. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494784)

Jen083083 02-25-2013 08:45 AM

Talk to me about wetbags.

I need a wetbag (or two?) for laundry and one (or two?) for the diaper bag. I'm having a hard time picturing how big these wetbags are and how many diapers fit in them.

I like the idea of being able to use them after we're done with diapers for things like wet swimsuits and towels, so I think I'd like one that I wouldn't mind carrying around.

Ideally, I'd like the diapers to last through more than 1 kid, so I'm thinking about washing the covers separately (more gently) than the prefolds. So I'd have a larger bag for prefolds and a smaller bag for covers. Is that completely unrealistic? Will it make laundry much more difficult than it needs to be?

How many wetbags do you have? What kind are they? (zip? drawstring? hanging? pail liner?) And how do I get the best deal (earth day sales in april?)?

yogamama28 02-25-2013 09:11 AM

We have 3 large planetwise hanging wetbags that we have hanging on a hook next to the changing table. They hold two days worth of diapers for one baby. We also have 3 medium size wetbags that hold 5-7 diapers. We use those for daycare. We have 2 small wetbags that hold 2 diapers that we use for short outings.

abunchoflemons 02-25-2013 09:21 AM

Re: Talk to me about wetbags.

two for girl two for boy and two liners to go up and down the staIrs

Pixi6s 02-25-2013 09:29 AM

I like hanging pails, I use GEN-Y ones. I prefer one layer of PUL, versus a cotton print to pretty it up. It drys quicker, you don't have to stuff the pul back in the bag...

For wet bag I would prefer all PUL as well but I use what I have, planet wise is crazy sturdy and leakproof. I have a bummis as well that does a good job. For the diaper bag I usually just have a small diaper rite wet bag with a bungy cord.

Pixi6s 02-25-2013 09:32 AM

btw, I normally wash everything together. But there has been times that I split out the peed on covers from the normal wash. I would just put the peed on covers in the baby clothes laundry to wash with them, any poopy covers would just go in the normal diaper laundry. It reduces the # of times the covers is washed on hot, and doesn't cause an extra load of laundry.

abunchoflemons 02-25-2013 09:32 AM

draw string qwerty bags one with Velcro. I think about a for square big stop probably for suits but but sure on towels

nonipie 02-25-2013 09:40 AM

I do not like wetbags for home use. I prefer pail liners. I have 2 Planetwise and one Bummis. For the diaper bag I think I have 4-5 medium wetbags (all zippers). I just keep collecting them with each child. I really like Planetwise and Monkey Foot Designs. I pick the ones I like and I use them for everything. They fit somethink like 6 diapers and enugh wipes for each change. So perfect size for an average day to a full day out.

I also have 2 small size Planetwise wetbags for Mama Cloth. Those are great to toss in the bag for a quick trip and will hold maybe 2 diapers and wipes. I don't think it is necessary to wash covers separately. I do hang them to dry though. I try not to over complicate CD. I throw everything together and I am able to use the same diapers from my oldest child now on my 3rd.

nonipie 02-25-2013 09:40 AM

DP

webMistress 02-25-2013 11:34 AM

I like the Kanga Care/Rumparooz ones. They open wider so it's easier to put a sprayed off poopy diaper in. Using mine one kid #2 & they still look new.

lady longs 02-25-2013 12:51 PM

I use a pail liner for home use. I put it in a normal trash can with a lid next to my changing table. The lid has a button where I can open it - around that lid are cracks where the pail can "breathe". I use planet wise and have been very happy with the quality. I have 2 of these. 1 for active use - then it goes in the laundry with my dirty dipes and I can put the second one on. I do not separate any parts of my diapers.

I have medium sized wetbags - 3 of these - for my diaper bag. These hold about 3 or so diapers. I have 2 that are larger for longer days out. They hold tons of diapers - 6 or more.

I have 2 wipes wet bags. I put the wipes in wet and leave them there. Whenever its time for diaper laundry, I change out the wipes bag and wash the one that has been in use. I have never had a problem with this system.

I HIGHLY recommend NOT cheaping it on your wetbag purchases!!! You TOTALLY get what you pay for in a wet bag. If you buy good quality, they will for sure last you through one kids. If you buy cheap, you will be replacing them before your child is potty trained.

If you choose to buy used - only buy name brand and buy in EUC or better.

Brands that I have chosen to stick with - leslies, planet wise, monkey foot.

There may be other good brands, but any time I have steered away from those, I have regretted it!