Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   When the new baby comes do you let your perviously weaned toddler nurse? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1495061)

gingerpeachee 02-25-2013 09:50 PM

When the new baby comes do you let your perviously weaned toddler nurse?

When Joey came along Gustavo was over 3 years old and when he asked for some milk I squirted some in his hand, he giggled, wrinkled his nose and that was the end of that. Joey is going to be just 2 and a half and I know I'm splitting hairs, but he's still little. He self weaned at 13 months despite my attempts to keep him interested.... he was just done. Anyway so now the new baby is due in June and I'm wondering what to do for Joey. I don't feel like I need to recapture my nursing days with Joey or anything, he's just still little and I don't want to reject him or make him feel jealous of his new sibling.

sillymama 02-25-2013 09:56 PM

If they ask I let them try it. Most of the time it's a one time thing and they don't get the latch concept. Sometimes it's more than once but they usually get bored pretty fast.

momof3boys1girl 02-25-2013 10:41 PM

Re: When the new baby comes do you let your perviously weaned toddler nurse?

DS2 was 28 months when he self weaned and I was about five months preggo. I offered but he really had no interest.

jennayoung99 02-25-2013 11:40 PM

I plan to, dd only nurses once a day right now and I'm pretty sure she's gonna wean before the baby gets here, if she wants to nurse again tho I will be letting her. I'm sure there will be some jealousy there.

l_Kimmie_l 02-26-2013 10:38 AM

My DS2 was 15 months when DS3 came. He never would nurse again. He was not even interested when I was nursing his brother. I was suprised.

You Tell 'Em 02-26-2013 10:52 AM

Like PP my second wasn't interested. She self weaned shortly after turning 2 (due to me being pregnant and milk was scarce). LO#3 is a little over 2 weeks old (LO#2 is 27 months) and wants nothing to do with nursing. Since she was younger than my first was when a sibling came along I thought there would be sibling rivalry but she loves her new baby sister so much... Very protective and had said that the milk is for baby now (not her).

FernHollow 02-26-2013 11:08 AM

When my 2nd was born, my oldest was 23 months and had weaned during the pregnancy. She asked to nurse after he was born and I let her thinking she'd get bored with it quickly. Uh, no...she thought it was wonderful and ended up tandem nursing for months. She went through periods where she would just want to nurse and nurse. When any of my other kids have asked after a new sibling has been born, I have just explained milk is for babies and given them extra cuddles, etc. I have no judgement at all against mamas who tandem nurse, but I truly hated it. It didn't feel special and sweet to have them nursing together, it felt like I was trapped on the sofa all day and I did not find nursing the older child to be comfortable at all. It isn't that I'm not comfortable nursing an older toddler (btdt with no issues), it was that my hormones and mama instincts just said it didn't feel right. I am glad that I was patient enough to give dd what she needed at that moment, but I purposely tried not to put myself in that position with my later children. :goodvibes:

gingerpeachee 02-26-2013 03:33 PM

I'm just going to see how it goes. He'll probably nurse once and then give it up... I think I'm okay with that.

nana2peach 02-26-2013 04:28 PM

DS1 was 21 months when DS2 was born. DS1 wanted to drink the ninny milk like the baby, but the second time he tried, my milk was gushing, DS1 pulled back and told me he broke it and never asked to nurse again. He said it would choke him because he broke it.

DS2 was 21 months when DD was born. He wanted to nurse along with his sister, and he did so for several months. I even pumped so he could drink it from his cup. He's allergic to milk, so my milk was better than the milk he was able to drink. He would even ask me to put some baby milk into his cereal. Since I had had a c-section, I was unable to hold him while he nursed, as he weighed 40lbs. I ended up allowing him to have a bottle once a day instead of nursing him. It made it easier than a squirming 40lber on my tender belly.

ktmelody 02-26-2013 04:33 PM

Nope. I would give it to them in a cup if they asked but none ever did.