Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Oh, DH! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1495093)

Mama*Kim 02-26-2013 01:41 AM

Oh, DH!

Mine can't be the only one who doesn't have a clue how much fabric is in the house, is he? I cleaned out, purged and reorganized all my fabrics yesterday. I still came out with 5 12qt bins, 2 Sterilite 3 drawer carts, and two shelves in the laundry room cupboards. It's not that I hide it from him at all, he just doesn't have a clue. The carts are in my side of our bedroom closet. The bins are inside the laundry room cupboards with my other sewing stuff.

Please tell me I'm not the only fabric hoarder who's husband is totally out of the loop! :giggle2:

Rdesonia 02-26-2013 09:45 AM

Re: Oh, DH!

Nope... I can't hide mine. DH calls my book shelves the "Walls of Fabric". He did tell me "You must have at least 50 yards!" Um... yeah... just 50... LOL! But I intend to not buy fabric at all this year. (Unless I sell fabric to fund it.... I seriously need to purge/par down.)

Rockinmama24 02-26-2013 11:08 AM

My dh is clueless!! He knows I have fabric & several machines but he's not sure how much. Mine is kept in rubbermaids in the attic & basement. He did give a wth when I pulled out leftover easter dress fabric from our 16 yo when she was a preschooler to make a dress for our current preschooler.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

AniMommy 02-26-2013 12:23 PM

My DH had banded me from further craft related purchases (I really have my eye on one more major purchase ;). He says the sewing machine, serger, spinning wheel, loom and knitting machine (which he collective refers to as "jobies") is enough.

I saw a funny skit on quilt in a day where the wife is hiding bolts of fabric all over the house until the ceiling collapses covering the DH in fabric.

erin_c_odonnell 02-26-2013 12:28 PM

:chuckle: yeah my dh has no clue nor does he want to know lol

Fitter 02-26-2013 12:39 PM

I am the same way :)

MotherMoonPads 02-26-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdesonia (Post 16334731)
Nope... I can't hide mine. DH calls my book shelves the "Walls of Fabric". He did tell me "You must have at least 50 yards!" Um... yeah... just 50... LOL! But I intend to not buy fabric at all this year. (Unless I sell fabric to fund it.... I seriously need to purge/par down.)

Pics for proof! :giggle2:

There's no hiding mine from my DH either, although he is a TOTAL enabler. He goes fabric shopping with me routinely, and helps me pick out new prints for my store.

Rdesonia 02-26-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads (Post 16335519)
Pics for proof! :giggle2:

There's no hiding mine from my DH either, although he is a TOTAL enabler. He goes fabric shopping with me routinely, and helps me pick out new prints for my store.

Since you asked.... (But these were taken in December? I have fleece and most of my vintage polyester in totes. And other random fabric I didn't have a place for. )
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8083/8...964fc1b5a5.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8492/8...41b7df1afe.jpg
I know It's sideways. Most fabric is folded with a 6" wide ruler.

What do you think? 50 yds or so? :giggle2:

aaiya 02-26-2013 04:27 PM

My DH knows...because he's the one who had to put up the shelves to house paper boxes full of my fabric (and he's the one to scrounge the boxes from work). I AM trying not to buy anything new, though, and just work through my stash.

bfoster2000 02-26-2013 11:06 PM

Rockinmama *MIGHT* be where I am since she mentioned her 16yo, but my oldest is almost 9 (and I've got 6 since then). I've got fabric and UFO's from when DJ was a baby. It's embarrassing. I'm totally jealous of Animommy with the wheel and loom! I "only" have two sewing machines, a serger, and an embroidery machine (and close to 300 spools of thread and Heaven knows how much yarn and fabric). When my second was a baby, Joanne's and Hobby Lobby shut down locally and Walmart stopped carrying fabric. I had two baby boys and was selling a lot of crafts at the time so I stocked up on all the clearance deals. A truly embarrassing amount of fabric and yarn for pennies on the dollar. My first husband had NO IDEA how much there was (just to be clear, I was the breadwinner in the family and the one that paid the bills so it's not like I was sneaking his money or anything!) When my cousins helped me move, I didn't let them in the craft room. I don't know how many minvan trips it took me to move all my fabric and yarn alone! Then I moved to a rental house and again, that was the one thing that I did on my own...no one was allowed to help. Last spring, my new hubby helped me move into his house and I felt like I needed to let him know what he was getting into. He not only helped me move all the fabric and yarn, he's helped me figure out how to store and organize it all. He's built me shelves all around our room, built me several sewing tables, put stuff in and out of the attic whenever I ask (a prego doesn't need to be crawling in and out of the attic in GA in the summertime). He really hasn't even balked as I've gotten package after package of diaper fabric and wool yarn (we both work from home so there's no hiding the packages that come in!) since Erica was born. He always asks what's in the boxes and wants to know what I'm going to make and whether I got a good deal and whether I need him to do anything for me but that's it.

But before you get too jealous, I commented today that I wasn't really thrilled with the way the shorties I'm working on are stitching out and I may just sell them right off. He said I should sell them for the cost of the yarn and shipping...you know...$10-15 so I'm not out anything. Ummmmm...yeah. Let's talk about those car parts in the garage......