Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Anyone diagnosed early with Gestational Diabetes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1495099)

Lanasmom 02-26-2013 05:03 AM

Anyone diagnosed early with Gestational Diabetes?

I'm 10 weeks 3 days pregnant. I went to my OB yesterday for my intake appt. The nurse asked about my symptoms, and I mentioned how extremely thirsty I am. I drink probably close to a gallon of water a day, with maybe a glass of tea or lemonade thrown in. I told her that I had downed a bottle of water on the way to the appt and was still thirsty. The nurse said that wasn't normal and I needed to mention it to the doc at my 12 week appt and in the meantime watch my sugars and carbs. She also mentioned that other GD symptoms were extreme fatigue and frequent urination. Well, I am a full time teacher with a 2 year old and a 4 year old at home. It is baseball season and my whole family plays, I also work after school 2 days a week, of course I'm tired. As far as the urination goes, I'm drinking close to a gallon of water a day, of course I pee a lot.

My question is, what were your OTHER symptoms? I'm not overweight. My blood sugars with both of my previous pregnancies were low (50-60's) when tested. I haven't gained anything with this pregnancy. What is the liklihood I would develop GD this early? I was also living a much healthier lifestyle when I got pregnant this time than I was the other two times.

TIA

weesej 02-26-2013 05:52 AM

Re: Anyone diagnosed early with Gestational Diabetes?

I was GD on insulin at 14 weeks this last pregnancy. I still reverted to normal postpartum. I do have a strong history of GD though.

Sometimes LOW blood sugars are a warning precursor to having high blood sugar problems later. With your symptoms it needs to be checked out...be guess is that if you are diabetic, you are truly diabetic and not GD. I say that because of the early onset, healthy weight and lack of GD history.

Lanasmom 02-26-2013 10:16 AM

Anyone else have experience?

gabmaxi 02-26-2013 10:27 AM

I had GD with both of my previous pregnancies, last time I was diagnosed at 15 weeks, but I asked to be.

This time, I, too, was extremely thirsty and no amount of water was enough. Also super tired. Convinced my GD had started at 9 weeks, I pulled out my meter and started testing my blood sugars - fasting and post meals. Normal - totally normal.

Oddly enough, now that I'm starting to see some wacky numbers (I'm 13 weeks) after breakfast, I'm actually no longer super thirsty and starting to feel more energetic. My OB just thinks it's a combo of a dry winter and the need to take on extra fluids for blood and other first tri blahs.

Just my experience.

nalazimbala 02-26-2013 12:15 PM

Have you had any cold/allergy type symptoms? Itchy throat, drainage, etc???

3 times now as soon as I started having these cold/allergy symptoms I also had extreme thirst. I mean I would drink a huge glass of water and immediately feel the need to drink another. I just could never get enough to drink.

Lanasmom 02-26-2013 12:25 PM

No cold or allergy symptoms. I just had the nurse at the school where I teach check my blood sugar and it was 93 2 hours after eating. That's pretty normal I think. I'm just not going to worry too much and eat normally. I tried low carb/ sugar this am and last night and felt awful. I didn't feel better until I ate something sweet!

mferry2055 02-27-2013 03:54 AM

I was diagnosed at 9w5d. At my ob they do an a1c check part of first labs. Total shocker fourth child, I weigh 110 soaking wet, and no family history.

Junglebugg225 02-27-2013 05:50 AM

I was diagnosed with DD#2 around 8wks~ Having had it with DD#1, we were watching my sugar levels early. Equally important as the lowER carb/sugar instake is good protein intake!! I had to intake around 19-23g of carbs per meals, but in the morning your body is already out of wack as far as processing sugars~ Once I up'ed my proteins, I was much better off, especially in the morning.

I have family history of diabetes, but no hx (other than my self) of GD~

Junglebugg225 02-27-2013 05:56 AM

Oh! I knew there was something else too.... I have a TON of troubles with hypoglycemia right before I got pregnant with DD#1~ And I'm still having trouble with those now 9 wks postpartum with DD#2. I literally MUST eat every 2-3 hours, without fail, or my sugars will dip. Sometimes into the 40s. I don't know if anyone mentioned it earlier, as I was skimming the posts, but 80-120 is "normal"~ And anything under 70 normally tends to send your body into a bit of chaos.

And as far as the tired feeling- I would be so tired that I literally COULD NOT keep my eyes open. I never really have the thirsty sensation either, and now they are telling me my numbers are borderline type 2 (ugh) at my 6 wk postpartum.

Junglebugg225 02-27-2013 05:57 AM

Oh! I knew there was something else too.... I have a TON of troubles with hypoglycemia right before I got pregnant with DD#1~ And I'm still having trouble with those now 9 wks postpartum with DD#2. I literally MUST eat every 2-3 hours, without fail, or my sugars will dip. Sometimes into the 40s. I don't know if anyone mentioned it earlier, as I was skimming the posts, but 80-120 is "normal"~ And anything under 70 normally tends to send your body into a bit of chaos.

And as far as the tired feeling- I would be so tired that I literally COULD NOT keep my eyes open. I never really have the thirsty sensation either, and now they are telling me my numbers are borderline type 2 (ugh) at my 6 wk postpartum.