Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Support from men for NIP (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1495365)

MamaLump 02-26-2013 06:32 PM

Support from men for NIP

So, DH was telling me that on his airplane ride home from a recent work trip there was a mom nursing as he was getting off. He mentioned that he always wants to give Moms a thumbs up or something when he sees them NIP, but is afraid of coming off as a pervert. I asked what he did do, and he said n he did t do anything. It made me think, what would be the best way for a male to offer support? Especially when he is alone?

HeatherlovesCDs 02-26-2013 06:46 PM

Re: Support from men for NIP

Maybe I'm going to be the odd one, but I think a man commenting on my nursing my baby would weird me out. I mean, I totally understand what you are saying. I love when I hear about men being supportive of NIP. My husband is and I love that about him. But, it would just seem odd to me and pervish. However, now that you bring this up, maybe I would think twice before feeling that way.

I just had a thought, maybe saying something like, "My wife always nursed our babies in public too. I was so proud of her. Good for you for doing it!" I probably wouldn't be weirded out by it if he mentioned his wife.

mibarra 02-26-2013 06:47 PM

By acting natural and defending the mama if someone was being rude. Id feel uncomfortable if some random man gave me a thumsup or something ;)

finleyjudemommy 02-26-2013 07:20 PM

I was just out in public not long ago and an elderly lady commented to me how good it was that I was nursing my LO and the younger guy (grandson maybe) she was with also said how good it was...didn't weird me out but maybe it was bc she was there....

waterisntsomething 02-26-2013 07:38 PM

Justa thumbs up would be a little odd. An older man made a comment one time to me about how DS was going to grow up big and strong when he saw me nursing. I felt comfortable with that. Honestly IMO, I think you know when someone is a creep. I had this old guy come up to me at the store (DS was in a stroller, not even nursing) and ask if I breastfed. Then he said things like "I bet he never goes hungry" (I have big boobs) and asked what I did with the excess :yuck:. He was most definitely a creep.

birdinhand 02-26-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs (Post 16337222)
Maybe I'm going to be the odd one, but I think a man commenting on my nursing my baby would weird me out. I mean, I totally understand what you are saying. I love when I hear about men being supportive of NIP. My husband is and I love that about him. But, it would just seem odd to me and pervish. However, now that you bring this up, maybe I would think twice before feeling that way.

I just had a thought, maybe saying something like, "My wife always nursed our babies in public too. I was so proud of her. Good for you for doing it!" I probably wouldn't be weirded out by it if he mentioned his wife.

Totally agree, this wouldn't creep me out.

I have to admit, even as a breastfeeding advocate and counselor, I usually don't say anything because I don't want to weird anyone out. When I had a nursing baby, I always liked to sit somewhere close by and see if my little guy would nurse -- solidarity, lol.

Saraf 02-26-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs (Post 16337222)

This is a very nice advice. This wouldn't creep me out.

gingerpeachee 02-26-2013 08:58 PM

I always assume people mean the best, so if some guy says something like. Way to go mama! or Looks in my eyes and gives me a genuine smile I'll assume its in support of NIP and not because he got to see the top of my boob. Some people are more embarrassed though. I think he could probably match the type of comment to the type of nurser. I'll walk around Target with a baby stuck to my boob and a blanket over my shoulder or just pull my boob out while the baby is in a front facing ergo. So a thumbs up to me would be okay. A mom whos fighting with a blanket hiding in a corner might do better when all boobs are away with a "My wife used to nurse in public when our kids were little, Good for you!"

MamaLump 02-27-2013 06:26 AM

These are great ideas! I didn't have any suggestions for him when he mentioned it, because I agree with lots of you that I would likely be uncomfortable with a thumbs up. Which obviously he instinctively knew since he didn't do that. I also admit that even I am not very good with knowing how to offer support to other moms now that DS is weaned. Maybe when #2 arrives in June I will do the, sit near and nurse thingy. And it happens so rarely around here, save for the LLL meetings which obviously people don't need a thumbs up when you are sitting around talking about how awesome nursing is.

I also agree you can tell when someone is a creep, and since he isn't he would have that going for him, haha!

Tris 02-27-2013 06:57 AM

When I NIP I like to pretend no one knows what I'm doing so that would make me feel awkward.