Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Colic? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14956)

Trishalynn 06-16-2006 01:36 PM

Colic?

can a child have a little case of colic or are they all the same when considered colicy? my new dd (4 weeks) is extreamly fussy and hard to put to bed. during the night not too bad, but during the day we'll get her asleep put her in her bassinet and 10 mins later she's crying again. This goes on almost all day. She's always shoving her knees into her tummy and seems pretty gassy all the time. Also she tends to only poop about once maybe twice a day (she's formula fed). she doesn't like to be put down even for a second, or she cries and cries. I just don't know what to do for her? my first dd wasn't like this at her age lol, she was such an easy baby! We swaddle her, have a fan going in her room, give her a soother all the things they say to do for a fussy baby, but they don't seem to help. So anyone out here can you help me? lol I need advice on this baby!

kimb96 06-16-2006 01:48 PM

Re: Colic?

I would have her checked for reflux. That is exactly the symptoms my ds had until he was diagnosed and treated for his reflux. Poor baby :hugs:

Trishalynn 06-16-2006 02:14 PM

what is reflux?

Sarah2000 06-16-2006 02:32 PM

ok my DD has both colic and reflux. Reflux is when their formula of breastmilk which ever one you are doing does not stay down it will come up the esophagus - if she is not spitting up she could have what they call silent reflux when they do not spit up. Some signs - pulling knees up or keeping their legs straight, arching their back, crying when it is feeding time, and spitting up or projectile vomitting. My DD had all those signs there are more but those are the ones I can think of off hand. If she is on formula you might want to talk to you ped about switching to a different formula - I have tried 5 different formulas and now she has to be on a prescription formula because she also has an allergy to milk protein. She is also on prilosec because zantac did not work for her, ped medicate to try to nuetralize the stomach acid so it does not irritate the esophagus as much.
Colis is crying straight nonstop for more then 3 hours mainly occurs at night time.

kimb96 06-16-2006 02:37 PM

Reflux (or GERD) is when the valve that closes off the top of the stomach comes open after eating. It causes formula to move upward into the esophagus. Stomach acid burns the esophagus. My son initially had the silent reflux where they don't actually throw up the stomach contents but it moves up and down the esophagus. Because that valve is open when it should not be, it allows excess air into the stomach causing the painful gas. Reflux is worst when lying down flat which may explain why she cannot sleep very well. Try letting her sleep in the carseat, swing or bouncy seat.
She also may not be tolerating her formula very well. You may need to switch to another. You can give her gas drops in every bottle, that will help with the gas. It also helps to make the formula ahead of time and just warm it up. When you shake it up to mix it, it causes alot of air bubbles.

Trishalynn 06-16-2006 02:46 PM

Thanks. she doesn't spit up often and when she does its very small amounts, my first dd spit up amazing amounts of formula when she was on it lol, I considered myself lucky this one didn't. She's only thrown up once since she was born. What do I do if she hates her car seat, swing and bouncy? lol I've tried all three and she hates them just cries as soon as I put her in them. all that works is carrying her around. I have a sling and carry her as much as possible but I can't carry her all the time. I'm gonna try and find a way to prop up her bassinet so she's on an angle see if that helps. I've tried gripe water with her and oval drops but they don't really seem to do anything? what other drops are there? we do her formula ahead of time anyway and then just warm it up. I'll try switching her to another formula and see if that helps! Thanks!

amanda1188 06-16-2006 04:40 PM

I agree with the pp, have her checked for reflux. My dd was a complete nightmare until she was diagnosed at 9 weeks old. We put her on Zantac and changed her formaula to Enfamil Nutramigen and luckily it worked great , because she was a completely different baby by the end of the week.

zonapellucida 06-16-2006 05:51 PM

UGH I dealt with colic wiht Isaopdra. The sun would go down and she woudl scream and scream and scream. We put her on Nutrimagen formula and that didn't even help, it just doubled our formula cost. I have heard good things about chiropractic and colic. I would have tried it but I had a pedi at the time that woudl not give me a referal. You will live through this although it may not seem like it right now. ((((((BIG HUGS)))))) I woudl not wish a colicky baby on anyone.

OneFabMama 06-16-2006 06:32 PM

My daughter was VERY colicy when she was a newborn. And, also very high needs. She was the same way about not wanting to be put down, woke up when you put her down if she was sleeping. She would NOT sleep in the carseat (I dreaded going anywhere because she would SCREAM her head off the whole way). She wouldnt sleep anywhere but MY arms.
Look into getting a sling, or pouch those are good for younger babies. She'll sleep because shes with you but you dont have to always hold her in your arms.
My life changed forever when I purchased my first mei tei.
Take her to her ped. it may be the formula if she is gassy, and she may have reflux.
Mylicon or Little Tummies Gas Relief is good to have on hand. We went through TONS of that. For a good 6 months I gave her a dose at every diaper change. We went through it like water, but it really did help.
My baby is 1 now and just starting to grow out of it (not to scare you LOL) but shes just a high needs girl.
GL!:goodvibes: