Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Nursing to sleep? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1495996)

Camsmom13 02-28-2013 03:13 PM

Nursing to sleep?

I nurse my 3.5 month old to sleep and I have no plans to stop as long as he is breast feeding. I've been warned not to do this for much longer by well meaning friends who I think may have gone overboard on the "sleep training" books, and classes, and forums ect... What's your take on this? I think it's natural and it's what my baby needs for now. But I'm also a first time mom with no reference point and am flying by the seat of my pants ;). Discuss :)

MamaLump 02-28-2013 03:25 PM

Re: Nursing to sleep?

I nursed my son down for every nap and every bedtime for the first 8 months. Then he had to start daycare. That was a nightmare for everyone involved, especially him. I did continue to nurse him down for bedtime until he was 15 months, when it just wasn't working anymore. He thought it was playtime. It was a hard transition. It was also very difficult for dad to get him down when I couldn't be there, and would sometimes take over an hour or sometimes 2.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't go as far as to say I regret it. It was soooo nice to have him peacefully drift off to sleep in my arms.

That being said, I am going to do my best to get #2 (due in June) to fall asleep using other techniques so that DH and I can alternate who puts which kid to bed. DS still won't fall asleep by himself at 22 months, and someone has to lay with him, which honestly, I love. He will be a middle schooler before I blink and cuddles will be all but gone. I have a friend who is about 15 years my senior and her kids are teenagers. She made a comment recently when I said, "My son is a good cuddler" that was very dramatic and was of the, "What I wouldn't give for 1 more day of cuddling with my kids." She looked pretty tearful. I'm not going to worry about "having" to cuddle my kids to sleep if that is nursing or just holding. It does get exhausting when you know there is so much to get done after they are down, but honestly, I know I'll be begging for it a few short years from now.

mibarra 02-28-2013 03:34 PM

DD2 nursed to sleep until we night weaned at 13 months. It was rough for a total of 3 days, just had DH put her to bed. She's fine now. So go with what works.

LaurenAppenzeller 02-28-2013 04:41 PM

my son nursed to sleep until he weaned. my only problem with it was he wouldn't be put in the crib after he was asleep and I had to sleep with him every nap and all night long no matter how many times.I tried getting him in the crib once asleep it just never happened and he would roll out of the bed if I left him in my bed. I vowed I would never do that with the.next babe and here I am with an 8 mo old who pretty much will only nurse.to sleep. its just so natural like you said and enjoyable that its hard not too. my son who nursed to sleep now cuddles to sleep and I don't mind it at all, its nice. getting him to where he would cuddle to sleep was hard tho he just did not.know how to fall asleep without the boob. I guess I do think there is something to be said for teaching them the skills they need to fall asleep on their own although Im not exactly sure how that works either as we've never really been able to do that successfully. I've let my husband put my daughter to bed when nursing doesn't work and so he can rock her and pat her butt but I have a hard time getting her to sleep when she won't nurse to sleep. having some back up methods that your baby is used to besides nursing is helpful bc as they get older it doesn't always work.

yukipr 02-28-2013 04:56 PM

For what is worth, I nurse to sleep. Sometimes is the only way I will survive. Just remember, that you are unique, do not let your friends bring you down even thou they mean well. I never followed no book no schedule no nothing. My 4 year old is doing good and with my newborn, I am planning on doing the same thing.

I remember my husband coming home mad when we first had our daughter. For some reason that child wanted to be up until midnight. One of his co-workers had a grand-son at around the same time and he was on the "schedule". Poor child was in bed by 6 pm and slept until 6 am. My husband used to get mad because he was always talked down by his co-worker. Although I wish my child could go to bed at 6 so I could sleep, now that I look back, I would not do a thing different. We got to see stars in the middle of the night. As she grew older, her bed time was improved. By the time she was 9-10 months, she was going to be at 9!

Yarnjess 02-28-2013 05:13 PM

Do what works for you. My daughter rarely nurses to sleep, and I wish she would more often because it's SO much easier than having to put her in the wrap and bounce her to sleep, which is what I normally have to do. I don't believe in sleep training. Children will learn to go to sleep on their own eventually, just like they learn to roll over, sit up, crawl, walk, etc without being directly taught or trained. Falling asleep without help is a milestone like anything else.

l_Kimmie_l 02-28-2013 05:26 PM

I nurse to sleep and DS is 10 1/2 months old. He will only sleep on me or with me in bed. We both go down at 7:30 each night. I have no issue with this and will continue to do this till he weans. DH is fine with it too.

birdinhand 02-28-2013 06:09 PM

I nursed my kids to sleep almost every night and nap until they stopped nursing, which was 4 years old for my oldest, and 3 1/2 years for the 2nd and 3rd. I never had an issue, and up until 2-3 years, tjhey slept in my bed; once they transitioned to their own bed I would still nurse them to sleep.

They are now 13, 11, and 7 and have no bedtime or sleep issues.

Kätzchen 02-28-2013 06:13 PM

I nurse my 19mo to sleep every night...I also nurse her every time we go to the store, every time she's bored, every time she's shy...I nurse her all throughout the day at her leisure (and I treasure every second of it). :)

finleyjudemommy 02-28-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kätzchen
I nurse my 19mo to sleep every night...I also nurse her every time we go to the store, every time she's bored, every time she's shy...I nurse her all throughout the day at her leisure (and I treasure every second of it). :)

Love this!!! (Kinda like the "like" on Facebook :-) )