Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Pumping schedule (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1496154)

FrozenBooty 03-01-2013 03:18 AM

Pumping schedule

What schedule do you ladies that pump follow. Baby has a very weak latch and since he is preemie is sleepy when he nurses. He's just not getting enough from me to gain weight.

I have been pumping after feeding so I can supplement.

I pump after feeding him about 1oz out of each breast usually 4-5 times a day. The doctor wants me to nurse for no more 15 minutes then give him a bottle of breastmilk I'm supposed to see him eat 9oz a day.

I need advice and ideas how many times a day should I pump I want to increase my supply cause I'm barely pumping what I currently need to feed him.

I also want to keep nursing before feeds because I'm hoping one day to get him fully on the breast when he gets older and more energetic.

Ideas help anything?

HotPotato1010 03-01-2013 11:44 AM

Re: Pumping schedule

I think you're doing the right thing by pumping after every feeding. You could try pumping on one side while he nurses on the other. I always pumped more in the middle of the night and in the morning. I pumped the least in the afternoon, so don't let that pumping session discourage you.

You could try taking some things to bring your supply up. Oatmeal cookies with special ingredients that help your body produce more milk. (Plus, it's the best excuse to eat cookies!) :D You could take fenugreek (available at GNC) to boost your supply, or take Mother's Milk Tea (also available at GNC). Make sure you're drinking lots of fluids and try not to stress about it (I know, easier said than done).

Good luck, mama! I remember those first few weeks. {{big hugs}}

Tris 03-01-2013 11:47 AM

I pumped every feeding, so every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. 15 minutes seems really short for a newborn, have you talked with a lactation consultant at all?

Edit, I manual pumped one side while babe fed off the other, takes advantage of the auto let down and I found I could usually get 2-3 oz that way. Pumping more frequently will tell your body you need more milk.

shortcake2386 03-01-2013 11:50 AM

i pump every 3 hours, with one 5-6 hour stretch at night where i sleep. but i EP. i used to pump ever 2.5 hours until 4 months or so. i get less in the afternoons, some days my output just sucks overall(probably dont drink enough water). ive heard the more often you pump your supply will go up. oatmeal, fenugreek, etc didnt help me but domperidone did.

shortcake2386 03-01-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tris (Post 16347718)
I pumped every feeding, so every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. 15 minutes seems really short for a newborn, have you talked with a lactation consultant at all?

its normal for a preemie. dd cant suck and i was only supposed to try to nurse her for 15 minutes, after that she was burning more calories trying to get milk than she was taking in:thumbsup:it never worked for us, she just cant suck, but i know preemies who have gone to just breast feeding

Tris 03-01-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortcake2386 (Post 16347732)
its normal for a preemie. dd cant suck and i was only supposed to try to nurse her for 15 minutes, after that she was burning more calories trying to get milk than she was taking in:thumbsup:it never worked for us, she just cant suck, but i know preemies who have gone to just breast feeding

Interesting :)

FrozenBooty 03-02-2013 01:52 AM

That's what the ped said he's burning too many calories trying I've tried to pump every 2 hours today I'm not getting as much since I'm pumping more often but I'm hoping it will increase my supply.

abunchoflemons 03-02-2013 02:38 AM

how often r u feeding? i pumped every 2 0r 3 hrs i ended up with tons.... not premie though just at thaT time not experienced breastfeeder & told topump lots. now i feel like pro as i have 2 breastfed babies that have done well....

FrozenBooty 03-02-2013 11:58 AM

I was pumping 4 times a day now I'm pumping ever 2-3 hours all day and night when I feed him I also pump