Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Earning/Saving Extra Money ~~ March ~~ Think Spring!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1496208)

badmisterkitty 03-01-2013 08:58 AM

Earning/Saving Extra Money ~~ March ~~ Think Spring!!

It's a new month! Join in here if you are earning or saving extra money for anything - a savings goal, a house project, a car!

Post progress, chat with others about your ideas and goals, cheerlead anyone doing well or in need of a boost.

If you are new, post your goal and some of your plans and ideas for saving extra.

badmisterkitty 03-01-2013 09:01 AM

Re: Earning/Saving Extra Money ~~ March ~~ Think Spring!!

I realized quite recently that our garage sale is in exactly 2 months. Yikes! I have so much stuff to price and get organized. It's going to be a great sale!

My goal for this weekend is to pull out our old Nintendo and test one of the games I want to sell. It's a super rare one. Completeds on ebay were in the $600-$800 range. I've seen higher and lower, so I need to time the listing just right.

Otherwise, just a few ebay sales totally less than $100. I also sold a bunch of Lincoln logs for $20. I should keep a better spreadsheet like Kory and Lenses....maybe that should be my goal for this month.

Tiffanylamp 03-01-2013 09:02 AM

New and love the idea!

Saving Goals:

1. Buy a new sewing machine through winnings on swagbucks! I think I just need another $100 in gc and I am there! Hope to earn about $50 swagging :)

2. Saving for a new dining room table. Hope to sell a few baby items this month!

3. Keep working on my Etsy Shop! I am pleased with how it is moving along. Have sold a few things and getting lots of views. Just purchased new material to add more items so hope to have that happen by the end of this month!

wolffie 03-01-2013 10:25 AM

I'm pleased with how I did last month but I'm not sure what else I have left to sell this month. I am doing a large kids consignment sale and I'm hoping to make quite a bit there. I am not sure if I should include that in my goal though since I have never sold at this sale before and I have no idea how it is going to go. My goals for this month will be:

1. Sell $200 (not including kids consignment sale)
2. Use swagbucks more and earn $25 in amazon gift cards

Does anyone have any ideas on making extra cash without selling? I don't have much more to sell and I already use swagbucks (although, could put more effort in).

badmisterkitty 03-01-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiffanylamp (Post 16347300)
New and love the idea!

Saving Goals:

1. Buy a new sewing machine through winnings on swagbucks! I think I just need another $100 in gc and I am there! Hope to earn about $50 swagging :)

2. Saving for a new dining room table. Hope to sell a few baby items this month!

3. Keep working on my Etsy Shop! I am pleased with how it is moving along. Have sold a few things and getting lots of views. Just purchased new material to add more items so hope to have that happen by the end of this month!

Welcome, Tiffanylamp! What kinds of things do you sell on Etsy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolffie (Post 16347610)

Does anyone have any ideas on making extra cash without selling?

Excellent question!! Let's discuss it!!

I have a LOT of stuff to sell yet, so the next step isn't on my immediate radar, but I'd love to hear some ideas from others.

One thing that I do that's not selling is skim $10 off the checking account every time I use my debit card. Obviously, there are limits to this, but $10 here and there doesn't hurt too much. :)

Tiffanylamp 03-01-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmisterkitty (Post 16348332)
Welcome, Tiffanylamp! What kinds of things do you sell on Etsy?

Thanks! I sell baby blankets and hats and am looking into expanding. I have to admit it started as a hobby (love to sew and be crafty) and I figured if I could make a little cash to fund my hobby that would be great! I don't plan to pay the mortgage with my little shop or anything, but it is nice to have a creative outlet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmisterkitty (Post 16348332)
Excellent question!! Let's discuss it!!

I have a LOT of stuff to sell yet, so the next step isn't on my immediate radar, but I'd love to hear some ideas from others.

One thing that I do that's not selling is skim $10 off the checking account every time I use my debit card. Obviously, there are limits to this, but $10 here and there doesn't hurt too much. :)

I take a little out of my fun money to save too :) It isn't a huge amount, but it does slowly add up. Part of the way I hope to have a new dining room table.

I also use ebates and mypoints for online shopping (just typical stuff I buy anyway). My biggest problem is I am always forgetting to use them, but ebates has a icon that downloads to your computer and it automatically links anytime you shop, so now I don't have to remember :thumbsup:

I also am a big coin saver and cash out once a year at Coin Star for a gift card.

Those are all I can think of off the top of my head!

wolffie 03-01-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiffanylamp (Post 16348408)
Thanks! I sell baby blankets and hats and am looking into expanding. I have to admit it started as a hobby (love to sew and be crafty) and I figured if I could make a little cash to fund my hobby that would be great! I don't plan to pay the mortgage with my little shop or anything, but it is nice to have a creative outlet.

I take a little out of my fun money to save too :) It isn't a huge amount, but it does slowly add up. Part of the way I hope to have a new dining room table.

I also use ebates and mypoints for online shopping (just typical stuff I buy anyway). My biggest problem is I am always forgetting to use them, but ebates has a icon that downloads to your computer and it automatically links anytime you shop, so now I don't have to remember :thumbsup:

I also am a big coin saver and cash out once a year at Coin Star for a gift card.

Those are all I can think of off the top of my head!

I love ebates! I use it all the time and love getting my "big fat check"! I've never used my points though. I'll have to check that out. All of our loose change goes into our kids piggy banks. They love it when the "money monster" comes and leaves them treasures for their piggy's.

I have a friend who rounds down in her check register when paying bills. So let's say her balance after paying a bill is $250.44, she will round it down to $250. She's says she doesn't save a ton but every so often she will transfer whatever the "overage" is to her savings. I thought that was a great idea but I think it would drive me nuts to not have the amounts matching from my register and what the bank says. Maybe I will give it a shot for this month though.

happysmileylady 03-01-2013 02:08 PM

A quick posting here just to remind myself to update here. I am trying to save/earn money but have been a bit crazy lately with my son admitted to the hospital last month. I am swagging right now and skimming CL, I will be back in a little bit.

Tiffanylamp 03-01-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolffie (Post 16348478)
I love ebates! I use it all the time and love getting my "big fat check"! I've never used my points though. I'll have to check that out. All of our loose change goes into our kids piggy banks. They love it when the "money monster" comes and leaves them treasures for their piggy's.

I have a friend who rounds down in her check register when paying bills. So let's say her balance after paying a bill is $250.44, she will round it down to $250. She's says she doesn't save a ton but every so often she will transfer whatever the "overage" is to her savings. I thought that was a great idea but I think it would drive me nuts to not have the amounts matching from my register and what the bank says. Maybe I will give it a shot for this month though.

Oh goodness, I tried that with my checking acct, but I am terrible at balancing it and so I literally never knew how much money I actually had because I make stupid subtraction mistakes anyway;)

And mypoints is a site I found years ago. Basically sign up with your junk email and they send you "offers" Use your junk because I get about 20-30 a week (more around the holidays) You don't have to do anything with the offers, just click through and you earn "points" for checking out the website. And, I get points shopping online too. I flip between mypoints and ebates to see who is offering the best deal with cashback/points :) Oh, they also send surveys and you get 10 points just for getting dq'd. It isn't a huge money maker or anything, just a "every little bit helps" type thing.

Hoping2BaMomma 03-02-2013 06:33 AM

My ebay auctions just ended last night and my profit is $167 from cloth diapers and a pair of DS shoes. YAY. I'm so excited! I've got a lot of wool longies to sell. I never got into them and mainly used pocket diapers. I think they would sell better on FSOT here instead of ebay. What do y'all think?

DH and I talked about having a yard sale next Saturday. My parents would come over too and sell their stuff also.

I haven't really thought of a goal since I'm just getting into this. I do want to stop by Goodwill today on the way to my IL's house for anything that would be an easy sell on ebay.