Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homesteading (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   March Farm/Homesteading Chatter (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1496225)

Macyllehub 03-01-2013 09:46 AM

March Farm/Homesteading Chatter
 
March is here!

I'm excited for Spring to finally make it here. What's on your list of things to accomplish on your property this month? Are you starting seeds yet in your area for gardening? Anyone welcoming lambs/chicks/kids/calves/etc?

:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

Macyllehub 03-01-2013 11:30 AM

Re: March Farm/Homesteading Chatter
 
Well, I am happy it's March already. The last day of February was HORRIBLE for our homestead. We had a vicious dog on our property multiple times, first trying to get to our goats but I got there in time to chase it off. The next morning (yesterday), I wasn't as lucky. We had 24 hens, now we're at 10. So sad. Senseless damage that shouldn't happen. This animal is a pet and it's running free. Police and Animal Control were on site, reports filed. My heart was heavy with sadness yesterday.

aiyana4969 03-02-2013 07:25 AM

Re: March Farm/Homesteading Chatter
 
So sorry for your loss. My neighbors dog has killed a few of our hens and my rooster has had a broken leg since early fall (he's found ways to deal with it and after his ordeal I don't have the heart to put him down just because). I have a BB gun for when he comes over now that's super accurate. One pump from across the yard I guess is still enough for a sting because he takes off when it comes in contact with his hind quarter. I'll probably end up putting some electric fencing, it'll be worse than the bb but I won't have to be on hand to catch him trying to get into the chicken pen (we no longer let our girls free range either. lost too many).

This month, around the homestead I plan on praying that the snow will melt. snow thurdays, friday and still snwing off and on today, supposed to tomorrow too. Yesterday I picked up an extra shift at work since one of the other CNA's dad died and couldn't work this weekend. We had a per diem nurse that didn't know our systems (or her rear from her elbow I swear) in yesterday morning, my charge nurse lives down my way and left a little later than me and ended up totaling her truck and getting to work via ambulance, complete with backboard, neck brace, bruised face and 3 cracked ribs. Luckily it was a slooooow day because we were severaly understaffed!

Other than praying for warmer weather (and wishing I could sell everything and move to a warmer climate), not much for the homestead is planned.

slimy72 03-02-2013 07:53 AM

Re: March Farm/Homesteading Chatter
 
I'm waiting for snow to melt. I also run a teaching greenhouse at work so it is in full swing. Today I have to go buy a ton of supplies for it and then go spray because we have white fly again. We need to muck out the lambing barn today. Luckily we are all done lambing. I am still milking a sheep, but now instead of storing the milk so I can make soap and cheese I have a bum lamb that needs it. His own mom stepped on him and broke his leg and since she already had two others to raise we put him on a bottle. She's a young ewe and I"m not sure she would have had enough milk, or even if she did if he could have kept up to get it. So I have that going. My hens are laying great, and we have 5 new chicks growing good in the house. Really jealous of all those who are getting ready to start gardens already, we've got another two months before we even think about it.

aiyana4969 03-02-2013 12:29 PM

Re: March Farm/Homesteading Chatter
 
I'm with slimy, can't wait to plant and have forever to wait still. Plus I had more seed/fruit catalogues come in today as a tease.

Tris 03-02-2013 07:14 PM

Re: March Farm/Homesteading Chatter
 
Is there normally a March Gardening thread too or is this the combined version? :D

raisingcropsandbabies 03-03-2013 06:00 AM

Re: March Farm/Homesteading Chatter
 
Slimy- We got our first lamb a couple weeks ago... sneaky ewe snuck into the bucks' barn a little early. Our lambing should start in a couple weeks. DH is almost finished shearing and then we'll sort the sheep into 4 different lambing barns to keep a close eye on each group.

Oh, gardening sounds so nice... It's snowing right now as I type. :( I had a lovely vacation with Baby Girl in California... it was so sunny and warm there! Coming home to 4 boys, snow, and mudboots has been an adjustment from just 1 kiddo, sunshine, and flip flops! haha.

The day I got back, life returned to normal. Farm chores, grinding feed, sorting sheep, feeding hay to cattle. We went to an auction yesterday, but didn't see any pigs we wanted. So we are still on the hunt. It's 4-H time and so it's hindering our search for 7. DH wants to get them around 30-40 pounds, but I would like piglets. I won't nag about it... maybe he'll give in on something else if I give in on this! haha. We shall see what comes up. I'm finished reading one hog book and making cliff notes for DH. I have one more to read. We have enough corn to grind and feed them, but need to figure out what protein we want to add to the corn... I plan on calling around to some of the feed mills. This week we'll go get 11 hog panels and some medicine for one of our jerseys who's getting ready to calf. She is very old and got sick right before her last calf was born, so we are hoping to prevent that! DH will finish up shearing this week... my week away drug out his time.

Well, there are 3 gallons of milk I need to use up... hello butter and mozzerella! I plan on starting school back up with Captain Obvious today (it's snowing too much to go to church). I have some sewing that needs to get done and then we have 4 appts. this week. Not anxious to go to town so much, but what can ya do.

Macy- that is horrible! How frustrating!

aiyana4969 03-03-2013 06:23 AM

Re: March Farm/Homesteading Chatter
 
RCB: Jelous of the CA trip! I miss it out there. the warmth, the ability to walk anywhere I want with sidewalks and vehicles that didn't drive 90 around the corner with beer in hand.... the lack of snow (so tired of winter)

AFM: well a couple months ago we adopted another pup and what a huge difference between our 2 dogs. Molly our American Bullgod mix that we adopted as a pup 3 years ago has always been fairly calm (excpet when outdoors) never chewed on anything that was not hers, doesn't dig, stays in the yard, very smart well behaved girl (except when she sees a man she doesn't know, then she goes beserk and chses them off).
River, out new one is now 5 months old, almost as big as Molly and chews on furniture, walls, stairs, my nursing shoes, still would rather pee on Molly's bed than ask to go out half the time, has been diggin in the flower bed past the snow and into the mud and galloped it all through the house, drags sticks out of the woods and shreds them all over the yard and porch..... howls in her crate, goes beserk in the house constantly.... she's definitely my challanging 'child' (the dogs are referred to as our daughter's 'sisters')

Started repotting my seedlings yesterday. Dh made some shelving right under florecent lights of the proper spectrums in the spare room in the basement yesterday. He didn't care for my having them all through the laundry room. Though he'll have to deal for a little while longer because I shouldn't replant seedlings until they have their second set of leaves (which some of the peppers and the eggplant do have), some have just sprouted and others have yet to sprout. the laundry room is very toasty so I'll leave them there until they can be repotted (plus I have more to start in a week or so)

slimy72 03-03-2013 06:36 AM

Re: March Farm/Homesteading Chatter
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Macyllehub (Post 16347862)
Well, I am happy it's March already. The last day of February was HORRIBLE for our homestead. We had a vicious dog on our property multiple times, first trying to get to our goats but I got there in time to chase it off. The next morning (yesterday), I wasn't as lucky. We had 24 hens, now we're at 10. So sad. Senseless damage that shouldn't happen. This animal is a pet and it's running free. Police and Animal Control were on site, reports filed. My heart was heavy with sadness yesterday.

I somehow missed this earlier So sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies (Post 16353352)
Slimy- We got our first lamb a couple weeks ago... sneaky ewe snuck into the bucks' barn a little early. Our lambing should start in a couple weeks. DH is almost finished shearing and then we'll sort the sheep into 4 different lambing barns to keep a close eye on each group.

Oh, gardening sounds so nice... It's snowing right now as I type. :( I had a lovely vacation with Baby Girl in California... it was so sunny and warm there! Coming home to 4 boys, snow, and mudboots has been an adjustment from just 1 kiddo, sunshine, and flip flops! haha.

The day I got back, life returned to normal. Farm chores, grinding feed, sorting sheep, feeding hay to cattle. We went to an auction yesterday, but didn't see any pigs we wanted. So we are still on the hunt. It's 4-H time and so it's hindering our search for 7. DH wants to get them around 30-40 pounds, but I would like piglets. I won't nag about it... maybe he'll give in on something else if I give in on this! haha. We shall see what comes up. I'm finished reading one hog book and making cliff notes for DH. I have one more to read. We have enough corn to grind and feed them, but need to figure out what protein we want to add to the corn... I plan on calling around to some of the feed mills. This week we'll go get 11 hog panels and some medicine for one of our jerseys who's getting ready to calf. She is very old and got sick right before her last calf was born, so we are hoping to prevent that! DH will finish up shearing this week... my week away drug out his time.

Well, there are 3 gallons of milk I need to use up... hello butter and mozzerella! I plan on starting school back up with Captain Obvious today (it's snowing too much to go to church). I have some sewing that needs to get done and then we have 4 appts. this week. Not anxious to go to town so much, but what can ya do.

Macy- that is horrible! How frustrating!

Your trip sounds so fun!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiyana4969 (Post 16353378)
RCB: Jelous of the CA trip! I miss it out there. the warmth, the ability to walk anywhere I want with sidewalks and vehicles that didn't drive 90 around the corner with beer in hand.... the lack of snow (so tired of winter)

AFM: well a couple months ago we adopted another pup and what a huge difference between our 2 dogs. Molly our American Bullgod mix that we adopted as a pup 3 years ago has always been fairly calm (excpet when outdoors) never chewed on anything that was not hers, doesn't dig, stays in the yard, very smart well behaved girl (except when she sees a man she doesn't know, then she goes beserk and chses them off).
River, out new one is now 5 months old, almost as big as Molly and chews on furniture, walls, stairs, my nursing shoes, still would rather pee on Molly's bed than ask to go out half the time, has been diggin in the flower bed past the snow and into the mud and galloped it all through the house, drags sticks out of the woods and shreds them all over the yard and porch..... howls in her crate, goes beserk in the house constantly.... she's definitely my challanging 'child' (the dogs are referred to as our daughter's 'sisters')

Started repotting my seedlings yesterday. Dh made some shelving right under florecent lights of the proper spectrums in the spare room in the basement yesterday. He didn't care for my having them all through the laundry room. Though he'll have to deal for a little while longer because I shouldn't replant seedlings until they have their second set of leaves (which some of the peppers and the eggplant do have), some have just sprouted and others have yet to sprout. the laundry room is very toasty so I'll leave them there until they can be repotted (plus I have more to start in a week or so)

I"m not sure I could handle your new pup. That would drive me batty. Good luck.

aiyana4969 03-04-2013 04:49 PM

Re: March Farm/Homesteading Chatter
 
made multi grain bagels today. The consistency and taste are good, but I cut them a little thin and my oven malfunctioned again and burned them in half the time they were supposed to cook :banghead: I soooo do not want to buy a new stove, I'd rather have a cow :giggle: or pigletts or something farm related....

In the middle of making hummus, and the tahini for it. I have just a small (and VERY noisy) food processor so i'm taking a break from the racket of purereeing seseme seeds to go thru craigs list and :drif: over the livestock being added daily. It's probably a good thing most of it is so far south I'd never afford the drive to get there anyway.

Really,really miss my goats! My cousin has them and one had triplets a few weeks ago and the toher had twins last week, only one girl out of the lot but still, would have been cute as all get out!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors