Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   If you are changing curriculum now... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1496560)

cowangel 03-02-2013 02:54 PM

If you are changing curriculum now...

So, we've made the decision to change our curriculum. And we are going to do it now, b/c I feel like DS has gotten behind with what we have been doing based on some testing I've done and some testing my mom has done (she's a PS teacher so used some of their stuff).

Anyway, my question is - if you've decided to change curriculum mid-year of more than mid-year at this point and you've ordered everything...do you continue with what you've been doing until everything new arrives or do you just stop and wait on your new curriculum? Is it hard to transition? I think this new curriculum will take a little more time at first so I'm prepared for DS to put up a bit of a fight about that...I think he'll like this new curriculum better and be able to do more of it on his own...at least that's my hope...

Open to suggestions and thoughts...

HeatherlovesCDs 03-02-2013 04:41 PM

Re: If you are changing curriculum now...

Personally, I'd take a break while waiting. Then, I'd probably take another week to look over everything and get ready. I would want to take about a 2wk break to decompress and refocus.

Good job doing what needs to be done! I hope it goes really well for you. :hugs:

(We've not changed entire curriculum, but have changed math in the middle.)

2queens&1princenmyhouse 03-02-2013 05:08 PM

I agree with Heather. If you think he's not getting enough from what you are doing now, another 2 weeks of not getting much isn't going to make or break him, KWIM? I would give him a "vacation" with the understanding that when the new material comes, he will need to get back to schoolwork.

7mom7 03-02-2013 06:13 PM

I agree with the break and starting a new curriculum if you school year round. I probably wouldn't start a new curriculum this late and then take another long break for summer. Personally we school year round...I find it easier in the summer because we have fewer activities and work commitments.

RainandRedemption 03-03-2013 10:15 AM

It would depend on his age.
For ds who will be 6 in April, we are switching curriculums. We totally abandoned our books and moved on. We started with about half of the material for his new curriculum, but for the K level.

If you are starting him with the new curriculum in the same grade level he was currently working on, then I would probably just take a short break and start on it right away.

Kristi26 03-04-2013 07:09 AM

We started school back in July and will finish this school year in May. When we started, I had chosen to do Tapestry of Grace with all of my DC. We pushed through it though I felt totally lost in the TOG FOG everyone talks about but by December, as we approached our scheduled Christmas break, I still felt overwhelmed by it all so I made the decision to drop it.

I used that break to familiarize myself with the new plan, which was really just for History/Geography at that point as I'd figured things out for art and literature along the way (the only other subjects we were doing with TOG).

Because we'd already been reading along with SOTW2 for TOG, I continued with that after our break was over in January, borrowed the AG from a friend to check out, and grabbed some extra books for more meaty reading for the oldest who is in 7th grade. I also checked out the history module that best fit our time period on simplycharlottemason.com and realized we'd read many of those books so was feeling better about my new plan.

It wasn't an ideal situation switching midyear like that. I hate starting something new without researching it to death but it's what I had to do!

So if I were you, I would take a break from the current curriculum and just do a lot of reading and math review until the new one arrives. And then jump into that one! Good luck!

MommyLyssa 03-04-2013 09:07 AM

We just did this with math. We kept trying and trying, but it was NOT working. He was miserable, I was miserable, and no one was learning anything. We ended in tears most days, and after half way through the year, we were on lesson 29.

We swapped a few weeks ago, and we waited until it came. I would prefer not to switch in the middle of the year, but I was not going to suffer the rest of the year so we could re-do second grade math.

iris0110 03-04-2013 01:17 PM

I had to switch a few weeks into the year with Tharen, it was that or he was going to public school because he wasn't going to do what I had planned. We went from a school at home model with everything all laid out to something very similar to Waldorf or Charlotte Mason. Now it is midyear or a little later for most people but my oldest just finished his school year and we are changing again. I am going full Charlotte Mason for my oldest and taking my youngest along (since we were pretty much doing it anyway). It wasn't a big switch for him other than our history is changing (still not sure how comfortable I am with this history program, not thorough enough for me or something). I think it would depend on the program and how poorly my child was really doing if I was willing to change midyear.

cowangel 03-04-2013 01:56 PM

Thanks mamas. He rally is behind enough I felt like we would be repeating the same year in the new curriculum if we didn't switch now. I feel like if we switch now we might could move quickly and not be too far behind next year or at some point next year? Plus we have been struggling to make sure I feel like we r doing all that should be done during the school year. I think we will take a break...and start again when everything comes and I feel.comfortable starting it...