Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   How do you know when you've purged enough? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1496837)

Art mama 03-03-2013 03:31 PM

How do you know when you've purged enough?

I keep going through clothes and dishes and getting rid of more stuff. I feel like I'm drowning in stuff. And I haven't even started on the bathroom and art room...

tabitha84 03-03-2013 04:10 PM

Re: How do you know when you've purged enough?

I think it's a life long process. Because more stuff will always be coming in, especially with kids. So you always have to be evaluating what's junk, what's getting used, etc.

passthepickles 03-03-2013 04:15 PM

I think you just know. I have reached the point where I don't have much left to get rid of, but I have a permanent spot in my garage where goodwill things go and when something isn't being used, it goes. I am much more discriminating when it comes to bringing new things into my house or keeping things. When my kids get a "junk" toy from a friend or relative, I know that the initial excitement will wear off in a week or two and when I ask them if they have anything for Goodwill, they will inevitably hand it over. When it comes to hubby and I, we just don't bring things home anymore. We like our house the way it is and do not enjoy having to sort through clutter! If you feel like you still have too much stuff, you are probably not there yet. I have been on a minimizing kick for nearly three years and I am *just* finding the sweet spot. ;)

Blessed2005 03-03-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art mama (Post 16355004)
I keep going through clothes and dishes and getting rid of more stuff. I feel like I'm drowning in stuff. And I haven't even started on the bathroom and art room...

I feel you Mama. I was on a quest to clean and declutter our entire 1080 SF home before the arrival of baby #3 in April. I need our home to work in my favor instead of against me with another little one and minimal space. Did too much and gave myself contractions and landed on bedrest :yuck:. Now I am stuck looking at junk and depending on DH being the mom and dad, cook and bread-winner, cleaner, etc. No more decluttering is getting done until I can get back on my feet. Hopefully at 37 weeks I can bust my butt and finish the rooms that are left undone before Abel arrives. I can't stand all the crap laying around anymore!!

P!nkPepper 03-03-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by passthepickles (Post 16355126)
I think you just know. I have reached the point where I don't have much left to get rid of, but I have a permanent spot in my garage where goodwill things go and when something isn't being used, it goes. I am much more discriminating when it comes to bringing new things into my house or keeping things. When my kids get a "junk" toy from a friend or relative, I know that the initial excitement will wear off in a week or two and when I ask them if they have anything for Goodwill, they will inevitably hand it over. When it comes to hubby and I, we just don't bring things home anymore. We like our house the way it is and do not enjoy having to sort through clutter! If you feel like you still have too much stuff, you are probably not there yet. I have been on a minimizing kick for nearly three years and I am *just* finding the sweet spot. ;)

This^^^^

I started purging in 2011 & I am getting closer but only with my stuff, my 15 mo's stuff & my 5 yos stuff. The hardest part is getting my extended family on board.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

Punkin 03-04-2013 06:37 AM

When you can be anywhere anytime in your house and feel at peace by what surrounds you...and what doesn't!

I_am_Blessed 03-04-2013 07:27 AM

For me, it's a constant cycle. Currently, I am at a point where I am happy with what I have left and have no desire to purge anything else - except DH's movie collection, but he refuses to get rid of any :banghead: Over time, new things will trickle in and within a few months, I will have to go through and purge again. I would love to get to a point of nothing new coming in, but with kids/holidays/grandparents, I don't see that happening.

madebymommy 03-04-2013 07:35 AM

I'm totally overwhelmed too... I spent all weekend purging. We ended up with 8 full-sized garbage bags full of clothes and toys and clutter, to be donated today! My house is so CLEAN that I don't really know what to do with myself today, haha!

I_am_Blessed 03-04-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madebymommy (Post 16356829)
I'm totally overwhelmed too... I spent all weekend purging. We ended up with 8 full-sized garbage bags full of clothes and toys and clutter, to be donated today! My house is so CLEAN that I don't really know what to do with myself today, haha!

That's great! I love that feeling of coming home from a donation drop off, and how empty the house feels. I have a closet stuffed with 3 large bins of consignment stuff the first weekend of April, and I cannot wait until that is gone, because that closet will be empty minus a couple bins of toys we rotate out for the kids.

jessicanashville 03-04-2013 08:30 AM

I have been going through my house for the last year and I am on my second time through everything. I am just to the point where it is feeling breathable and I don't feel like I have a million things to go through all the time... I want to get to a good point and then maintain. I have the mindset I will always have things to get rid of because I have kids... Clothes they have outgrown... Toys they don't play with etc