Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Question for limited/selective vaxers (?) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497123)

ericanicole1111 03-04-2013 03:08 PM

Question for limited/selective vaxers (?)

Not looking for debate, just advice from fellow selective vaxers:

DD has her 2 mo appt in a couple weeks; & I'm a first time mom doing lots of research on vaccines. I want to kind of "double check" my work with you ladies to make sure I'm not missing anything.

DD is EBF and will only be cared for by my mom, grandmother, and DH while I work 25 hrs per week- no daycare.
As it stands I think I am going to have her vaccinated for just Dtap- only because of the Pertussis. Are there any others that you opt for??

l_Kimmie_l 03-04-2013 03:19 PM

Re: Question for limited/selective vaxers (?)

I only did dTap with this baby due to pertussis. Usually I do none until 2 yr old.

tmwmommy 03-04-2013 03:21 PM

My ds is about the same age (had 2 mo appt last week). We opted to hold off on all vaccines for now but are considering DTaP for next time. I just don't know if DTaP vax is effective or not....have been researching though. I had a reaction to DTP (vax before DTaP was used) and am a little afraid to start with it. I do have to get all of them before he starts school unless WV state laws change.

thtr4me 03-04-2013 03:41 PM

DTaP is on my list, but for the tetanus not the pertussis. If there was an infant DT, I would opt for that instead. The only other one on the list at this age is the Polio.

MMR and CP are on the list but for much much later (adolescence), although MMR may be a no-go completely for my DS1. He has had some reactions that I am not okay with, and so is not getting anything at this point for a long long time. DS2 needs a DTaP booster at some point, but we only seem to get to the doc when he is sick, and I do not do shots when kids are sick.

I would also suggest (this was my docs recommendation) that since your DD is EBF, delaying the 2mo shots until 3mo.

7 for now 03-04-2013 03:57 PM

My preemie is 3.5 months now and the doc actually recommended only doing DTaP and rotovirus for now. I delay anyway and those were the two I was considering. We live around 2 states that have outbreaks of Pertussis. My son had half of his lung removed due to a congenital defect so if he caught that it would be very detrimental to him. Same with rotovirus as he is so small and has eating issues. If he got rotovirus it would be automatic hospital admission. He is also getting RSV injections every 4 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

UVASahm 03-04-2013 04:06 PM

My son has only had the dtap until now but will be up to date by the fall bc of school.

UVASahm 03-04-2013 04:07 PM

Also my son had a horrible reaction to the shot and had big welts on his thighs that hurt him a lot. I would recommend giving your lo Tylenol before and try to have it done in the afternoon just in case. That way you won't have a screaming baby all afternoon which is what I had!

theonenonlymrssmith 03-04-2013 04:24 PM

We had planned to pass on all vaccenes except for the dtap. Unfortunately ds had an adverse reaction to his first dose so we ended up skipping the rest.
Anyways, we felt that that was the most and only important one for our situation. ( Sahm/working dad no other caregivers, ebf.)

Tris 03-04-2013 04:30 PM

I only did DTap as well, for the first year ish on both kids. I was comfortable with the decision, the Dtp/Dtap combo has been around for a very long time.

tesslouise 03-04-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7 for now (Post 16358896)
My preemie is 3.5 months now and the doc actually recommended only doing DTaP and rotovirus for now. I delay anyway and those were the two I was considering. We live around 2 states that have outbreaks of Pertussis. My son had half of his lung removed due to a congenital defect so if he caught that it would be very detrimental to him. Same with rotovirus as he is so small and has eating issues. If he got rotovirus it would be automatic hospital admission. He is also getting RSV injections every 4 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Just so you know, the CDC does not recommend beginning the rotavirus vaccine after 14 weeks 6 days. (My doc didn't know either--that's why DD#2 got the first dose.) Info here:
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwr...bile=nocontent