Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Always hungry (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497261)

Crunchymommmy 03-05-2013 03:30 AM

Always hungry

I feel like I am always hungry. About thirty minutes after a meal I feel hungry again. Little one (4 months) nurses about every 3 hours during the day but sttn. I've lost 20lbs total since giving birth. I was at 150 before pregnancy gained 15lbs during and now I'm 144. Any ideas for filling nutritious snacks. Is this just part of life now that I'm breastfeeding? I really don't want to lose too much more weight but I want to continue to nurse for at least a year longer.

Raspberry Kisses 03-05-2013 04:45 AM

Re: Always hungry

Healthy saturated fats will help you to feel full longer. Try cooking foods in raw coconut oil or grass-fed butter (organic is good, too). Avocados are wonderful and so are raw nuts and seeds. Raw milk is great, too, but I know that's controversial for some people or they just don't have access to it.

Good luck! :)

l_Kimmie_l 03-05-2013 06:21 AM

I wish I had that problem...LOL! I gain so bad by the munchies associated with breastfeeding. I agree go with healthy snacks - fruit, veggies with dip, nuts, trail mix, and granola. Cheese can be good too as long as your LO does not have a dairy allergy.

tibeca 03-05-2013 08:10 AM

Steer clear of carbs! Eat lots of protein and good fats. Remember that every time you nurse, your body releases gastric acid (which is why we feel thirsty when nursing). Eat, eat, eat.

That said, I have a friend that breastfeeding makes her lose obnoxious amounts of weight. She eats like a pound of bacon for breakfast + oatmeal with nuts and coconut oil. Then eats, literally ALL DAY LONG. Hands full of nuts. protein shakes. spoons full of coocnut oil. She now weighs just over 98 lbs despite gaining nearly 80 pounds during her pregnancy. She actually starts formula, part time, around a year for her little ones to give her body at least some break.

She is just now packing the pounds back on (her goal weight is about 125) and her little one is 14 or 15 months. Still nursing part time, but also partly on solids.

strongwoman 03-05-2013 08:13 AM

I second the healthy fats from avos, coconut oil, and nuts. I would be drinking raw whole milk and eating yogurt too if I weren't on an elimination diet! Whole fruits sliced up with any type of nut butter is great as well. Happy snacking :)

knodceo 03-05-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca
Steer clear of carbs! Eat lots of protein and good fats. Remember that every time you nurse, your body releases gastric acid (which is why we feel thirsty when nursing). Eat, eat, eat.

That said, I have a friend that breastfeeding makes her lose obnoxious amounts of weight. She eats like a pound of bacon for breakfast + oatmeal with nuts and coconut oil. Then eats, literally ALL DAY LONG. Hands full of nuts. protein shakes. spoons full of coocnut oil. She now weighs just over 98 lbs despite gaining nearly 80 pounds during her pregnancy. She actually starts formula, part time, around a year for her little ones to give her body at least some break.

She is just now packing the pounds back on (her goal weight is about 125) and her little one is 14 or 15 months. Still nursing part time, but also partly on solids.

I agree! There are women who loose a lot while nursing. I gained or stayed the same. I have to stop nursing to loose.

l_Kimmie_l 03-05-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca (Post 16361011)

I am totally jealous!! I have to diet to lose while nursing.

kittenbaby77 03-05-2013 08:59 AM

Io is 3 months old and i am a few pounds away from pre pregnancy baseline. Tummy almost back in shape (1.5 more inches to go) When i am hungry, i Snack on baby carrots, celery, fresh fruits and nuts. I have them next to where I nurse my baby for easy access. I drink lots of water to stay hydrate. I make sure to have good lean protein in my meals so i don't feel so hungry so fast. I watch the portion i eat and stay away from sweets/ carbs. ( coz when I am hungry, I crave sweets lol) I do lots of home cooking and prepare healthy meals. Freeze the meals and have it ready as needed. No excuses for me to eat junk food coz of it!

Snack idea: whole apples, almonds, nuts, celery, baby carrots...

Crunchymommmy 03-05-2013 04:50 PM

Thanks ladies, I'm making a grocery list right now. Hopefully this helps. I do admit I need to snack more healthy. I do tend to crave sweets when nursing so maybe Nutella with some fresh strawberries and bananas.

crunchycrossfitmamaof2++ 03-13-2013 07:43 AM

I'm with you op I get crazy sweet cravings and haven't found time to get back to my healthy lifestyle. It's depressing because I was a health nut while pregnant but I hit third tri and started gaining weight despite my efforts so I gave up. 5 weeks pp and I'm 5 lbs away from my pre preg weight but feel fat and bloated