Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Trying to Decide Between Two Trip Options... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497290)

badmisterkitty 03-05-2013 07:55 AM

Trying to Decide Between Two Trip Options...

Maybe an outsider look at this will help.

We are attending a nieces graduation at the end of May. It's in TX, we are in ND.

We have 2 options for this trip:

1. Drive there ourselves with all the kids (5, 2, and under 1) over the course of about 3 days with a couple of stops along the way to visit people and see the Omaha Zoo. I figure gas will cost around $600, plus we'd need hotel rooms for about 4 nights at est. $100/night. We can bring some food, but we'll eat out some, too. I estimate the trip to cost about $1500.

The cons.....taking 3 really young kids on a long car trip. The cost of taking 3 kids on a long car trip.

2. MIL has offered to fly just DH and I down to her home in TX (no kids). We would do some sight seeing for a couple of days near the coast, then take a day to drive to the graduation and then drive back to ND with her. The airline she uses only flies a few days a week, so we're looking at about 7 days away from home. We'd pay for a portion of the gas to return home with MIL, plus probably 2 hotel rooms. We'd eat out a little bit, too. I estimate this trip to cost less than $500. That's a $1000 savings. No brainer, right? No.

The cons.....being away from our kids for 7 whole days. This never, EVER used to be a problem for us. I don't know why it's suddenly an issue. But it's a huge issue for me.

There are a couple of alternatives....

Fly down on a different day with just enough time to drive with MIL to the grad, then travel back with her to ND. She wants to take us sight seeing so badly, though.

Take the baby with us and leave our older girls. Except then it's not a vacation at all....just parenting in another place. And what will the girls think if we trot off with their brother and not them?

Skip the whole thing altogether. Okay, so that's not an option, but it seems like the easiest option at the moment.

Is there anything I'm not seeing here? I'm not particularly looking for people to chime in with "I would never leave my babies for that long," but if you think it would be helpful then go ahead. The trip is happening one way or another, I just can't make a decision on how we want to proceed.

Thanks, if you made it all the way through and have something to offer. :)

bluedaisyma 03-05-2013 08:11 AM

Regardless of my feelings about leaving my kids, I would def take them. It sounds fun! We have taken our kids on long trips even at young ages. Books on CDs, car games, fun snacks.... :)

sry 4 abbrev, im 1 hnd-ed typng & nak frm my iPhone

kbstanley3 03-05-2013 08:16 AM

Re: Trying to Decide Between Two Trip Options...

To me, whether I took them or just went with DH would depend on how the kids would do with us gone for 7 days. Who will they be staying with? Is it someone they see on a regular basis and would be comfortable with?

badmisterkitty 03-05-2013 08:26 AM

yeah, forgot to include that....kids would stay with grandma and grandpa, going to school & daycare as usual. My sister would maybe take my oldest for the weekend. Yes, I trust them all.

kbstanley3 03-05-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmisterkitty (Post 16361073)
yeah, forgot to include that....kids would stay with grandma and grandpa, going to school & daycare as usual. My sister would maybe take my oldest for the weekend. Yes, I trust them all.

Well, then as long as you think they'll deal with it okay then I'd be inclined to just go with DH and enjoy the savings/mini vacation! You could always do something fun with them when you get back, like go to the zoo or a museum. :goodvibes:

Leanbh 03-05-2013 09:20 AM

I would take the baby. Long car trips can be miserable. Not sure how old or near 3 your #2 is and she ? is without you, so might depend on that. If just gone 2 and clingy then that might be a deal breaker.

badmisterkitty 03-05-2013 09:30 AM

The older girls love to go to grandma's house. Since having 3 kids, we just don't get out much anymore. When we DO get it, it's just for a few hours. We left the little guy overnight once and I guess he slept horribly, which may have been coincidental, but who knows. Even when the older girls do sleepovers at grandma's, we keep the baby at home with us. Mostly because he's still little, but partly because we don't want to overwhelm them, though they really would be just fine. It's a courtesy thing, mostly.

*sigh* I don't know. The kids would probably travel fine. We've taken overnight trips before and it just seems like so much of the work falls directly on me. I'm busy enough at home, but multiply that by 3 when we try to go anywhere. It's a poor attitude on my part, but the idea of schlepping 3 little kids across the country just makes me tired thinking about it.

kbstanley3 03-05-2013 11:49 AM

IDK, honestly I do think it would be unfair to the girls to just take your DS but IDK your family dynamic so I can't be the judge of that. I think the baby would probably be fine after the first day or two, as long as the grandparents don't mind working with him. I know how you feel, I'm trying to go to school full time, DH works a full time job, and we have 3 little ones as well. As much as I'd miss my kids, I would be lying if I didn't say that a 7 day trip with just DH and me would be great. With 3 kids, these opportunities don't come often!

kbstanley3 03-05-2013 11:51 AM

And I know what you mean about all the work falling on you! Taking a trip with 3 kids is usually way more work than just staying at home, which is fine; but it's nice to relax sometimes, too.

Marbie 03-05-2013 12:21 PM

It sounds like you really don't want to do the road trip. If, like you said, the kids would be fine without you for 7 days, doing a cheap vacation without them sounds wonderful. I can understand why you wouldn't want to leave your baby though, and I think your girls would understand if you took just him with you. So that might get you the best of both worlds: cheap, less stressful trip + not leaving your baby.