Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In April (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Would You Bother? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497380)

BiskMama 03-05-2013 11:37 AM

Would You Bother?

Trying to keep a cat out of the baby’s things? I have most things in babies nursery set up, crib, changing table etc, and one of my cats is obsessed with the changing table. My computer desk is also in the nursery for space reasons for now, so every time I go in the nursery, their Bisk (the cat) is, jumping up on the change table and settling in for a nice couple of zzzzs. Up till now, I’ve been jumping up and pitching her off onto the floor and shrieking “NO!” But it’s getting really tiring because she’ll do it every five minutes, and mamas, I don’t mind telling you it’s getting old. My husband is much more casual about it, “it’s a cat, you can’t keep her from doing what she wants.” “When you have your back turned, she’ll go rite back to doing the forbidden thing.”
I love my cat, and enjoy having her with me, so banning her from the room entirely isn’t going to work, I just want to try and keep babies things clean. FYI I do no about not letting cats in the crib with sleeping babies because of the slight risk that the cat could lye on the babies face and suffocate her, so the crib will always be off limits, but do you think I should keep making a fuss over the changing table? My hope is if she’s on that one piece of furniture, she won’t have any interest in getting into anything else.
What would you do or suggest?

KendallMarie 03-05-2013 11:51 AM

Re: Would You Bother?

The only place i wanted to train the cats to stay out of was the crib. Not because of the old wives tales about cats and babies... but because we've had a history of inappropriate illumination on soft things like bedding.

I set the crib up very early and invested in Ssscat Deterrent http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751025

It's proven a super great training tool. It works when you aren't around to reinforce the behavior you want... it also means you aren't the "bad guy" because because you don't do anything the sprayer does so they can't associate it with you easily. I put it at one end of the crib so any motion in the crib would set it off. They no longer show any interest in the crib and it took very few encounters with it before they learned... like 2-3 times max. Defiantly worth the cost.

Mom2Connor 03-05-2013 11:56 AM

Yes I would make a big deal out of it. Cats poop and pee in a litter box and then walk all over babies stuff.

kcannon 03-05-2013 12:10 PM

I would keep the door shut to baby's room. Cats love to go where you don't want them to. :giggle:

EmilytheStrange 03-05-2013 12:41 PM

Nope, I don't worry about it at all.

The cats initially loved loved the crib, the changing pad, the glider, the bassinet, etc. I even have had cats sleeping in the high chair. The only place they never went was the swing.

For the crib and the vibratey chair, I'd just put a blanket down when baby wasn't in them so the cat hair was contained. When it was time for baby to use it, I'd toss off the blanket and the under was clean. I never cared about the changing table though - never any issues of excessive cat hair on baby butts or anything :)

I shut the door when baby is sleeping in the crib/bed to keep cats out while baby is using the apparatus, but don't really see the point when baby isn't. The cats tend to lose interest on their own pretty rapidly after baby arrives. Except the changing pad... there was almost always a cat napping there.. I'd even lay the baby on top of the cat and the cat would try to stay... must be really comfy.

mibarra 03-05-2013 01:31 PM

For just the changing table I probably wouldn't. Like you said, a crib, seat, swing, anything baby would sleep in or spend an extended amount of time in, now way. :)

canadianbakers 03-05-2013 02:36 PM

We never bothered with forcing the cats out of baby's things. None of our cats ever bothered sleeping in the crib/bassinet when baby was in there - too noisy and squirmy, I assume!

leyash 03-05-2013 02:49 PM

i hate the cat even sitting in MY chair. but... that's because i think cats are gross. so yes, when the time come, i will do everything i can to keep him out of baby's things. if that doesn't work, he will be banned out of the room. cat feces is not something i care to have all over my brand new baby's stuff.

canadianbakers 03-05-2013 03:19 PM

I do understand the ick factor... but at the same time, my babies are all laid on the floor from the beginning, for diaper changes, tummy time, and just laying on a blanket to stretch out. Obviously, my pets walk and sit and lay on the same floor. I can't keep them off that, so I don't stress about keeping them off anything else either.

EmilytheStrange 03-05-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianbakers (Post 16362930)
I do understand the ick factor... but at the same time, my babies are all laid on the floor from the beginning, for diaper changes, tummy time, and just laying on a blanket to stretch out. Obviously, my pets walk and sit and lay on the same floor. I can't keep them off that, so I don't stress about keeping them off anything else either.

agreed

I watch carefully at the beginning to make sure there's no actual allergy going on and then I worry less.

but, like I said, I keep blankets on the things the baby sleeps on so the cats are on the blanket.. and then take the blanket off when it's baby's turn. so, the cats aren't REALLY laying where the baby will lay.

personally, I'd be fine if my new kiddo had a cat allergy and we had to get rid of the cats. But, since we own the cats, I sorta gotta take things in stride.