Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTA - Trying To Avoid (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Is a short LP a problem if you're not ttc? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497575)

jeebee 03-05-2013 11:06 PM

Is a short LP a problem if you're not ttc?

I've always had a short LP, and I guess it is caused by breastfeeding. Maybe, I dunno... I was always on the pill, got pregnant right away with my first child, then i have charted in between my following two, but was always breastfeeding, so i really have no idea what my normal cycle is like. I haven't really had problems getting pregnant, even when my previous cycles have been <8 day lps. I guess the months that I fell pregnant maybe i had higher progesterone levels or just randomly got an early implanter or something.

Anyway, is it anything to worry about? I am on my 9th cycle back and my 16 month old is still BF. It's seriously annoying having a 3 week cycle. I don't want to get pregnant, but I chart to avoid and to keep track of things. Now I am wondering if I just have a short LP in general, since it doesn't really seem to be straightening out over time. Is there anything to be concerned about in terms of hormones etc?

Yarnjess 03-05-2013 11:42 PM

Re: Is a short LP a problem if you're not ttc?

Since you're still breastfeeding, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If your LP is that short when you're not breastfeeding it would indicate a hormonal imbalance. I'm of the opinion that hormonal function is important, and would attempt to rectify it through diet. Breastfeeding throws your hormones into a whole different arena as far as what's normal, though. From what I understand a short LP is pretty normal while breastfeeding.

Bella Catalina 03-06-2013 12:05 AM

^WSS. The hormonal imbalances can affect all sorts of things.

I also have a short LP. Mine is typically under 6 days while nursing, then goes to around 7-8 days when I wean. I also tend to ovulate late, so I get a 28 day cycle most months. I also agree with dietary changes, but be extra careful if you don't want a surprise. My youngest is the result of changing my diet that cycle--it seriously happened that quickly. We started a Whole30 (think paleo with no added sweeteners or grains) and within the week, I not only ovulated on CD 15 (pretty much unheard of for me), but ended up pregnant. I was hoping it would help my LP, but I didn't expect it to happen so fast or change my O date.

jeebee 03-06-2013 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella Catalina (Post 16364548)
^WSS. The hormonal imbalances can affect all sorts of things.

I also have a short LP. Mine is typically under 6 days while nursing, then goes to around 7-8 days when I wean. I also tend to ovulate late, so I get a 28 day cycle most months. I also agree with dietary changes, but be extra careful if you don't want a surprise. My youngest is the result of changing my diet that cycle--it seriously happened that quickly. We started a Whole30 (think paleo with no added sweeteners or grains) and within the week, I not only ovulated on CD 15 (pretty much unheard of for me), but ended up pregnant. I was hoping it would help my LP, but I didn't expect it to happen so fast or change my O date.

Wow! I really am going to look into this diet thing. My LPs start off at 3 days for the first few cycles, up to about 7 days after 6 cycles back. I have been ovulating earlier and earlier. The months I fell pregnant with all of my 3 I ovulated on day 17. This month I don't know for sure but going on cramps and EWCM I ovulated on cd15-17. My cycles have been around 21-24 days the last few months. I am on cd21 and spotting. It feels like I constantly have my period, and that really sucks. Thank god for lunette.

jeebee 03-06-2013 02:15 AM

But thanks for all your help, it is reassuring. Now I only have to wait another year or so before I know what my 'normal' cycle is, LOL. And hopefully I don't fall pregnant in the meanwhile!

sharon_k 03-09-2013 05:49 AM

Just reading because I find it interesting & wanted to know for myself. Jeebee we were in same due date forum I think, or on the TTC forum together back at the end of 2008/beginning 2009....where did the time go?

l_Kimmie_l 03-09-2013 06:03 AM

It means you have either low progesterone or are not ovulating very strong. It really is not an issue if you are not TTCing. It could be a problem later if you want more kiddos, but I honestly would not worry about it now. I also had LP issues for quite some time. It was only a problem for getting and staying pregnant.

hannahransom 04-16-2013 08:55 PM

I believe it does, yes, I actually was just thinking I need to write an article on this.
Essentially, progesterone helps balance out the effects of estrogen in your body. Unopposed estrogen isn't good, it's the stuff that causes crazy cell growth and such (think cancer). You want your precious progesterone :)
I don't know if I can link anything yet, but check out http://holistichormonalhealth.com/20...ocrine-system/
and you can follow the site for a better article soon :)

JustSomeChickVee 05-17-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l (Post 16376514)
It means you have either low progesterone or are not ovulating very strong. It really is not an issue if you are not TTCing. It could be a problem later if you want more kiddos, but I honestly would not worry about it now. I also had LP issues for quite some time. It was only a problem for getting and staying pregnant.

I'm not really sure what you mean by strong ovulation, could you clarify?

I have a cycle that is between 27 and 31 days. 31 days was my longest and only happened once, they tend to be 27 and 28 days long. anyway, i ovulate around day 18, which sucks. I had some blood testing done due to some other issues i was having (i literally had everything tested,) and my hormones seemed normal? but i wasn't 100% sure how to interpret them...

this test was done on day 22 of my cycle.

serum testosterone 36, free testosterone .5, dhea-sulfate 197.2, estradiol 108, progesterone 8.8

I have a sticky/creamy BIP and my CM doesn't get very wet feeling when I O. i just gets clearer. and my BIP CM sometimes stretches but is always white.

Not sure what to even think lol.