Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   3rd Day of OCPT - DD still scared (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497766)

cpamamma 03-06-2013 06:27 PM

3rd Day of OCPT - DD still scared

My DD is 27 months old, and we are on day 3. I allowed my DD to wear pants most of the day today. She is very good about knowing when she has to pee and wanting to run to the potty (with a bit of my help/direction). However, she is terrified of actually going. She is fine to sit, and could sit for over an hour so it's not a fear of the actual potty. Just a fear of going.

She cries and screams through every poop and pee - sometimes it takes 1.5 hours to get one pee out. She asks to hold me hand, rocks back and forth on the potty, jumping on and off, telling me her tummy hurts. Then, suddenly she goes and says "I did it!", asks for her reward (one chocolate chip and one mini marshmallow), and agrees she feels better. Sometimes she only lets a tiny bit out, and that's after holding it for 3-5 hours (no rewards if she only goes a tiny bit)! She only had one accident today, and stopped herself after a small dribble, but this seems crazy!

Today she has gone pee 3 times and poop once. Even though she has been using the potty for three days, the fear isn't getting better. What can I do to help her relax? At this point I don't know how we could everleave the house!

WinterBaby 03-06-2013 06:42 PM

Re: 3rd Day of OCPT - DD still scared

We used OCPT too. Although we didn't have that situation, I wanted to say hang in there! It was difficult in the beginning, but it gets better! It's a whole new experience for your DD. Maybe you could give her something to distract/relax her while she is on the potty like a puzzle or small toy.

cpamamma 03-07-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinterBaby
We used OCPT too. Although we didn't have that situation, I wanted to say hang in there! It was difficult in the beginning, but it gets better! It's a whole new experience for your DD. Maybe you could give her something to distract/relax her while she is on the potty like a puzzle or small toy.

Thanks. The main problem with distracting her is that she stops trying to pee. My husband is wanting to give up. But he was able to calm her last night by holding her hands and looking in her eyes while telling her it was ok. All of this over pee? Maybe she truly isn't ready. Will try thru Friday and see.

WinterBaby 03-07-2013 08:04 PM

Re: 3rd Day of OCPT - DD still scared

Have you checked the OCPT forum? Maybe someone there has good advice for this situation.
In terms of distraction, if she really does have to go and is willing to sit and play for a while, would she finally go?
How much is she drinking? Could you up her fluids a little to see if it's easier to pee then? She might be someone who doesn't have to go often.

cpamamma 03-07-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinterBaby
Have you checked the OCPT forum? Maybe someone there has good advice for this situation.
In terms of distraction, if she really does have to go and is willing to sit and play for a while, would she finally go?
How much is she drinking? Could you up her fluids a little to see if it's easier to pee then? She might be someone who doesn't have to go often.

Thanks. Yeah have checked the OCPT forum and it does seem there are others in my situation but with no resolution yet. Today she woke up with a dry diaper and didn't pee for an hour and a half after waking. That was 13 hours! Today after nap she didn't pee till right before bed. I did give up and put a diaper on her but she still didn't go. She ended up asking to go on the potty even tho she had a diaper on.

I have decided to remove all distractions and moved the potty from the living room to the bathroom. Also decided that I will stay out of the bathroom as much as possible to not give attention to this crazy game she is playing. I am trying to up fluids but she is on high alert and saying no to everything. Even watermelon!

Just trying to offer fruit as snack and have water and juice out. Is peeing three times in one day even healthy? It's way less than when she was diapered and much less than me!

Thanks for hearing me out be cuz I am going crazy!