Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Would you take her out of preschool? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497782)

Subversive Cupcake 03-06-2013 06:32 PM

Would you take her out of preschool?

My daughter goes to a play based preschool. I wanted a play based, as I can't afford the tuition on the Montessori's around me. :banghead: I found a place, loved it, my daughter loved it, etc.

I was really hoping for her to make friends, for me to meet new moms, for her to learn and grow. But the year is almost up and I'm just fed up of the place. The moms are cliquish, all know each other because their older kids have been going to school for years together. The kids range in age from 6-11 months younger than my daughter. So, there is no interaction between them and my daughter (not to mention that they all hang out with their older siblings together so they play together and unknowingly exclude just her). There has been a teacher change, multiple student changes, and the addition of another day of class that only I didn't participate in (as in MWF instead of just MW). I don't feel like she's learned very much at all.

We only have two months left (April and May), and I'm considering just taking her out. Especially after today, I heard the teacher saying "lellow" instead of yellow.

I'm just so frustrated. Is this what I have to expect from a "good" school?

tazzae 03-06-2013 06:50 PM

Re: Would you take her out of preschool?

:hugs: It doesn't sound like you or your daughter are getting what you wanted out of the preschool. I know it's no consolation, but I've found school communities can be hard to break into--socially speaking--for new families. It's taken 3 years at my daughter's current school to feel like I "fit-in" with the parent community. I also sympathize with you when it comes to dd's classmates having older siblings and existing relationships that are difficult to break into.

Preschool is optional; if it's not working, I say take her out. Perhaps you could find a local homeschool group or mother's club with regular activities?

escapethevillage 03-06-2013 08:55 PM

If it's only preschool, I would. She doesn't have to "learn" anything in preschool. She just has to be happy, make friends and have fun. If she's not making friends, I would say it's not working for her or you.

I sent my daughter to a pre-K so she would have the experiences, and because I was holding her out a year of school. (she was going to start Kindergarten at 6) But, while it was an AWESOME preschool, she really didn't get too much out of it...not for what I paid for it. She got much, much more out of gymboree, and dance class. She still has friends she made when she was three at gymboree. She still has every single one of her friends from dance class, and the girls are all 20 years old now.

Heck.. I'm even facebook friends with girls I met 17 years ago. But, I can't remember a single name of her friends from preschool.

delphinium 03-06-2013 09:01 PM

There are other options besides play-based and montessori. I would look around for other options for next school year. In the meantime, hook her up with some friends and take her out and read to her a lot and play games.

7mom7 03-06-2013 09:59 PM

We pulled DS out mid-year of pre-k. I have really high expectations if I'm going to pay that much for something and it was nothing but a source of frustration for me. We also had issues with teachers teaching things incorrectly...how to hold a pencil, form letters, etc. We've only had one playdate with a friend that DS met at school and that was after I pulled him out. The mom was the only other mom that I really connected with. I agree with PP that your money would be better used for dance class or some type of other activity.

CarrieMF 03-06-2013 10:08 PM

Does your dd want to keep going? Are the older siblings there during class time? I don't see much in your post that is about your dd or that she doesn't want to go.

Subversive Cupcake 03-06-2013 10:55 PM

Thanks. I guess that is the gist of it. I just don't feel like it's doing much but be a place she's away from me for 2.5 hours twice a week. I have a mom's group I'm part of but we haven't had many play dates because she's in preschool during most of them. I guess we'll think about it some more.

monkeymama07 03-07-2013 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subversive Cupcake (Post 16368450)
Thanks. I guess that is the gist of it. I just don't feel like it's doing much but be a place she's away from me for 2.5 hours twice a week. I have a mom's group I'm part of but we haven't had many play dates because she's in preschool during most of them. I guess we'll think about it some more.

Id pull her out and take her to playdates, story hour, play places, playgrounds etc... To make friends and socialize.

I_run_with_scissors 03-07-2013 06:00 AM

id pull her personally. Sounds like this school just isnt a good fit for your family, its only preschool so no biggy IMO. Id opt to take her to story time, play dates, the park ect instead

PurpleDaffodil 03-07-2013 09:04 PM

I worked in a preschool, staff don't just leave for no reason., this would be a big flag for me