Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Do you keep toys "to grow into?" (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497857)

mrspopo 03-07-2013 01:51 AM

Do you keep toys "to grow into?"

I've purged tons of stuff (former nanny and foster parents, now parent to my own 1 year old). Most of the kids I worked with were much older, so a lot of what I have is geared towards older kids. I hate getting rid of things that I think might be a hit down the road. I developed quite a reputation as the "fun" nanny that always brought something cool - shadow catcher, spin art, fuse beads, bouncy ball making kit, pop up tents etc... Most of my nanny things are geared towards 4-12 year olds.

Her interests have changed so much that I never know what she'll be into. How do you know which items to hang onto? And my collection of stuff was gathered over time and with ridiculously awesome prices at garage sales and whatnot. So yes, I could replace these things but I don't think I'd ever be able to buy it for super low prices again (and it would drive me crazy to sell something for $10 then later re-buy it for $30!)

Bhavana 03-07-2013 03:28 AM

Re: Do you keep toys "to grow into?"

Such classic items as the ones you have listed......I wouldnt let go. If you have storage space, then I wouldnt attempt to minimize at all. If she isnt into it years fm now, you can always sell it later on too.

sweetest 03-07-2013 07:16 AM

I've gotten rid of most of the toys my older kids played with (so far the only thing I wish I had kept is my Tupperwear sorter toy...)

The things I have saved through multiple children are things I plan to keep for my grandkids:

Ostheimer figures (I buy these for the kids but they are really mine!!)
Lacing beads/boards
3 wooden puzzles
Vintage Fisher Price record player
Wooden blocks

The only thing I'm not sure about is our Hess Truck collection... my mom has been getting them for DS1 since he was little (I think we have 7 years worth). I hate how much space they take up and that they make noise (of course we can leave the batteries out...) but they are such cool cars! Not sure what I will do once DS2 is done with them... they would be nearly impossible to replace since there is a new one every year...

badmisterkitty 03-07-2013 07:51 AM

Tough question. I guess keep them if you truly think you can't replace them. Chances are, by the time you want to replace them, you won't even remember what they originally cost OR something newer and better will have come along. And it's hard to know what kids will be into down the line, too. Like back in the day, I bought Little People because I thought all kids liked them. Except mine didn't.

If you want to meet in the middle, pick a couple of favorites and keep those and go with the flow when it comes to picking out new toys. Also, if you do Christmas and birthdays, you can ask relatives to give some of those cool older toys to defray your costs.

I can relate to wanting to save money, though. It was a hard transition for me to let go of things that wouldn't get used for upwards of 5 years or more, knowing I would need to do some replacing later. And it's not like I don't have the storage, because I do, but if navigating stored things is stressful then it's not worth keeping things that won't get used.

Take it with a grain of salt, though....I have a small shelf of board games that haven't been played since we had kids 5 years ago.....but I've kept them because I know we will someday....and I know replacing a scrabble game is pretty easy, too. :)

tallanvor 03-07-2013 08:58 AM

Depends on what it is. You mentioned fuse beads and bouncy ball kits. Those you can buy at the craft store for cheap. Even cheaper than the bouncy ball kit would be to buy a package of 8 bouncy balls from the party section at Wal-Mart. We have had a great love of bouncy balls here, and have done both. The ones from the kit dry out after a few weeks. The fuse beads, I would consider keeping the boards. I would really only keep the things that seem to be hits with a wide range of kids.

Amandamama 03-16-2013 02:08 PM

Lego, Thomas trains, playmobil, that kind of stuff, I'd keep. Craft kits tend to dry up though. You could donate what's still good & buy if your kids are into that stuff later, or get as gifts.

moonlightblonde 03-17-2013 10:08 AM

I don't. I need to get rid of more. My almost 5 year old and almost 1 year old play with the same things most of the time. Wooden trains, wooden blocks, legos(obviously the baby is too little),a couple play silks and a couple of dolls are good. Dd1 has a small bag of dressup clothing she got for Christmas in her room too.

NewMommy6111 03-17-2013 11:27 PM

I had been keeping these, but finally decided to let it go with one of the recent toy purges.
There are plenty of opportunities to replace those things. Let go. You were the fun nanny and you have those memories, you don't need the toys. You and your child will find things to enjoy together in the years to come.