Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Going from 13 hrs sleep straight to very little... HELP PLEASE (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497863)

O'sMommy:) 03-07-2013 06:33 AM

Going from 13 hrs sleep straight to very little... HELP PLEASE

Okay so here's what's going on... My 9 month old son has suddenly started waking up not long after we put him in bed. We hold/rock him to sleep around 8pm and he's usually down around 8:30 for the night. He has been sleeping through the night since he was about a month or so old; about 13 hr nights. Recently, he's started waking up nearly as soon as we put him down and he won't go back down... We have to hold him to be able to sleep (he sleeps in his crib). I've tried cosleeping but he will not sleep with us and honestly, I'm not a huge fan of it anyway (just personal preference). We obviously aren't sleeping well bc we are having to sleep on the couch or in the recliner; both of which are very comfy but not for a full night's sleep for sure. At first I thought he had a stomach virus bc he was having a LOT of BM's but now he's not. He did this Saturday night for my husband and I and since I had class on Monday, we asked my in laws to keep him Sunday night for us and he did the same thing for them. I got him back Monday after class and he slept all night with the exception of getting up for one bottle (no big deal AT ALL). He did good Tuesday night as well but last night he's back to being up all night screaming pretty much. I don't really think its night terrors for some reason. I think he's having some sort of gas pains or something bc he's crying like he's hurting or something. I've started giving him gas drops with his nighttime bottle but he's still doing it so gas drops aren't working. Any suggestions or ideas as to what's going on?

Sorry so long. TIA.

Manderzthegr8 03-07-2013 06:51 AM

Re: Going from 13 hrs sleep straight to very little... HELP PLEASE

Teething or growth spurt? Those would be my guesses. My DD didn't start really sleeping through the night until just before 1.

If you check and it appears to be teething I found that the Hylands teething tablets really helped us.

Hope things get better for you!!

dudleypippen 03-07-2013 06:52 AM

Is he teething? We have huge problems with sleep right before a tooth erupts. Good luck mama with whatever it is, hope you get some rest soon!

UVASahm 03-07-2013 06:59 AM

I would vote teething as well. My son is 13 months and sleeps through the night except when he is getting a tooth. The way you can tell is when you pick him up, does he stop crying right away or within a minute or so? If he doesn't, he is in pain of some sort.

Also is he pulling up on stuff? A lot if gross motor development happens around 9 months so they start to regress sleepwise.

O'sMommy:) 03-07-2013 07:43 AM

Thank you all so much. He still doesn't have a single tooth so I guess that could be it. I'm a ftm so I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. :/

O'sMommy:) 03-07-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudleypippen (Post 16368731)
Is he teething? We have huge problems with sleep right before a tooth erupts. Good luck mama with whatever it is, hope you get some rest soon!

So this totally doesn't pertain to my question but my sons's name is Owen as well and my grandfather's name was John and I'd pondered his middle name being John but went with another. :)

O'sMommy:) 03-07-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UVASahm (Post 16368738)
I would vote teething as well. My son is 13 months and sleeps through the night except when he is getting a tooth. The way you can tell is when you pick him up, does he stop crying right away or within a minute or so? If he doesn't, he is in pain of some sort.

Also is he pulling up on stuff? A lot if gross motor development happens around 9 months so they start to regress sleepwise.

He has recently started pulling up and is trying to walk. He does walk behind his walker and such. If that's the problem, any clue as to when I could expect it to subside some?

O'sMommy:) 03-07-2013 07:51 AM

Just for the record, he turned 9 months today and goes to the dr tomorrow for his 9 month check up. I will definitely be asking his dr. I was just checking to see if anyone may have some insight.

EmilytheStrange 03-07-2013 08:27 AM

Google '9 month sleep regression'. Very normal, very common.

Babysleepsite is a good result, moxie is another. You'll see tons of results because it's a very typical developmental milestone.

That being said, you should find a ton of solutions on those websites, so even if it's normal, there are ways to help.

This is one regression my daughter skipped (thankfully since her 4 month one went all the way to 7 months). Some children will experience them, some won't.