Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How should I go about this? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1498188)

PrettyinPink89 03-08-2013 08:08 AM

How should I go about this?

Hey there!

I am going back to school in the fall for 8 hours per week split evenly between two days. My DS2 will be about 7-8 months old and I am worried that I will lose some of my supply if he misses a feeding on those days. Is that a possibility? If so, do any of you have any ideas on how to prevent that from happening?

TIA!

HotPotato1010 03-08-2013 08:43 AM

Re: How should I go about this?

Pumping will help you maintain your supply when you're away from him. Anytime he would nurse, you should pump.

Do you have an electric breastpump? It might be a good idea to invest in one. If you have health insurance, check with them to see how much they cover. Under Obama's new health care changes, health insurance companies must cover breastpumps.

I would also suggest you nurse him right before leaving, and right when you pick him up. Ask the babysitter/daycare to try and not give him a bottle within an hour of when you're supposed to see him. That way, he's hungry when he sees you and you can nurse him well.

1healthylady 03-08-2013 08:57 AM

Maybe take a 20 minute break halfway through those 4 hours. Let the professors know what's going on too so they'll be more willing to work with you if you miss any instruction. He'll probably be hungry during that time, so you could send either a bottle or solids, depending on what he's eating at the time and ask the care provider to feed halfway through your absence. If it's just twice a week you should be able to get by with a manual pump. I have the Avent manual and I like it soooo much more than my double electric Ameda! I'm actually using it this week while working full time, so 4 pumps a day, and I'm getting more from it than I was from the Ameda in less time. The electric just wasn't stimulating enough anymore. But that's a whole 'nother story...

PrettyinPink89 03-08-2013 09:35 AM

I just bought a manual pump, hopefully that will be enough. I checked with my insurance and they said that our plan does not include a breast pump unless he was a preemie etc. I will definitely try to take a break. I know that there is a 15 min. window between my two classes, but running to the next class would take up all that time. Any idea about how much he will be eating solid wise around 7-8 months and how often will he be nursing? It has been 6 years since I have had a little one, so I do not really remember :blush:.

l_Kimmie_l 03-08-2013 09:47 AM

So you will be in class for two 2 hour blocks 2 days per week with just enough time to get to class between them?

Here is what I would do. At 7-8 months old your supply is well regulated, so that is good. Bring your pump. Speak to your 1st class professor before you begin classes begin. Leave class 20 min early each day and pump. You and the professor can get you a note taker for that last 20 min of class. Most will probably be recapping. Get a notebook with carbon paper/copying capabilities for the student you select to note take for you. This allows them to just rip out the page and hand it to you with no extra work. You can go to the Students with Disabilities office to ask for the notebook and explain why you need help. I am sure they will help you and provide the note taker paper. Your professor will help you get an inclass note taker. I did this and it worked out great.

PrettyinPink89 03-08-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l (Post 16373371)
So you will be in class for two 2 hour blocks 2 days per week with just enough time to get to class between them?

Here is what I would do. At 7-8 months old your supply is well regulated, so that is good. Bring your pump. Speak to your 1st class professor before you begin classes begin. Leave class 20 min early each day and pump. You and the professor can get you a note taker for that last 20 min of class. Most will probably be recapping. Get a notebook with carbon paper/copying capabilities for the student you select to note take for you. This allows them to just rip out the page and hand it to you with no extra work. You can go to the Students with Disabilities office to ask for the notebook and explain why you need help. I am sure they will help you and provide the note taker paper. Your professor will help you get an inclass note taker. I did this and it worked out great.

Just about. Each class is about 85 minutes and my travel time from home to school is 1 hour total (there and back).

Thank-you all so much! :)

mysticmomma1879 03-08-2013 10:00 AM

I don't think you will need to pump at all. Pump at your convenience for they'll you will need to send with him.

l_Kimmie_l 03-08-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrettyinPink89 (Post 16373407)
Just about. Each class is about 85 minutes and my travel time from home to school is 1 hour total (there and back).

Thank-you all so much! :)

If the total time is 4 hours then I might not pump at all unless I notice an overall dip in supply. By 8 months they can go up to 4 hours on their own without nursing. If you are worried - I know I get supply nurvous - then I still suggest what I said above. Make sure to have a thermal lunch bag with cooler pack with you as well to store the milk so it stays good till you get home.

PrettyinPink89 03-08-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l (Post 16373432)
If the total time is 4 hours then I might not pump at all unless I notice an overall dip in supply. By 8 months they can go up to 4 hours on their own without nursing. If you are worried - I know I get supply nurvous - then I still suggest what I said above. Make sure to have a thermal lunch bag with cooler pack with you as well to store the milk so it stays good till you get home.

That is my biggest issue. I would hate to lose some of my supply over those 4 months :/.

tibeca 03-08-2013 10:13 AM

The school MUST accommodate you. So talk to your counselor. I forget which office is required to help you. But just keep asking, until you find the right person.