Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   teaching kids life skills (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1498368)

corinne76 03-08-2013 06:11 PM

teaching kids life skills

ok DS mamas. You all know everything and have the best ideas so....

What are you doing to teach your kids life skills?

Do you use actual lessons? Charts? games?

TIA

RainandRedemption 03-08-2013 06:39 PM

What skills are you talking about specifically?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

corinne76 03-08-2013 06:55 PM

Re: teaching kids life skills

I guess things like household skills, what to do in an emergency, peer pressure, strangers

DottieHarley 03-08-2013 07:06 PM

:popcorn: for ideas. If mamas in the know could add, what age you started at, for different things, please?

Hungry Caterpillar 03-08-2013 07:15 PM

I can't necessarily speak to the ones exactly you are asking for. But, my husband and I aim to teach our children these "life skills" before they leave our home.

How to do laundry
How to cook simple meals (roast chicken, pasta, etc)
How to read the fine print on a credit card application
How interest on a credit card actually works
What a mortgage is, down payments, interest rates, and fine print
Different types of savings and investments (401k, IRA, Roth IRA, savings account, bonds, stocks)
How to write a resume and cover letter
How to negotiate a car loan or what to look for when car shopping
How to read labels on foods and what ingredients are whole and what are fake
What to do in case of fire, break-ins, earthquakes, etc
How to do basic home maintenance
How to do very basic car maintenance

For peer pressure - I think this will be something that organically comes out in conversation while talking with them and will evolve as they age.

mimi57 03-08-2013 07:17 PM

For household:

My 8yr old can do simple cooking (scrambled eggs, hot dogs, etc.), start the washer and dryer, run the vacuum, sweep and mop, and do general clean up chores, folding everyone's laundry and putting away her laundry. (Not that she does all these things on the same day!)

My 6yr old can do the sweeping and vacuuming, cleaning up toys, putting away her laundry.

My 3yr olds can pick up their toys, pick up trash off the floor and throw it away, clean up their room (with some direction) and clear their dinner plates.

My 1yr old can clean up his toys with direction.

EmilytheStrange 03-08-2013 07:38 PM

I find this a good website:

http://www.montessori.org/index.php?...th-6&Itemid=71

and this:
http://www.dailymontessori.com/montessori-activities/

~Laura~ 03-08-2013 08:00 PM

With regards to household chores, I just have them 'help' from a young age. They think it's fun and while it does take longer to accomplish things, I feel that it's important. I try not to be a teacher, just a mom showing my kids what I do.
Most other skills just come up. I see a fire on the news and talk to my kids about it. Same with strangers, bullying, etc. A lot of times I use books, Berenstain Bears has a great book about strangers.
As I teach my kids math, I include lessons on coupons, etc. My kids go shopping with me and we just talk about why we buy something and how to save up our money and spend it wisely. Kids are curious and will ask questions. I try to just answer them simply and honestly. As they get older, I plan on going more in depth with money planning.
My DH is super handy and a mechanic by trade, so he's constantly explaining those things to the kids. He takes the time to show them how things are done and lets them help.
You could try to do lessons but honestly kids retain things better when they are having fun and want to learn. Talk to them constantly about why you are doing things.

tallanvor 03-08-2013 08:10 PM

We teachthings as I think about them and feel my kids are old enough to do them. Right now, here is where we stand...

12 yr old
clean kitchen (fully, including stoneware and cast iron)
clean the bathroom
laundry
vacuum
few simple dishes (grilled cheese, quesadillas, scrambled eggs, noodles, veggies)
peel and slice raw veggies
weed and harvest a garden (really good at tomatoes and green beans)
make a shopping list for specific meals
follow a recipe
make fudge and bake a cake (including making the frosting)
simple sewing
crochet
cross stitch (not sure that is really a life skill)
she's learning to knit
use the phone
research stuff on the internet
ask people for help when out and about
read a menu and order food
shoot a gun (including everything that goes with it, except possibly cleaning it)
read a map
address an envelope

10 yr old
laundry (still working on it, but he's getting there)
fully clean the kitchen (also including stoneware and cast iron)
vacuum
clean the bathroom
reheat food
fix himself a sandwich
read a map
make local calls (not sure he knows about dialing a 1 before the area code on a regular phone)
research stuff on computer
read a menu and order
ask for help when out and about

Just turned 6 yr old
unload the dishwasher and partially load
sweep a floor (with help)
put laundry away

They can all 3 dust and clean their rooms. They can all take care of a dog or cat (including cleaning the litter box). The youngest is now getting started on learning more about the computer. I haven't done enough with the younger two in many areas, though somewhat the youngest just isn't ready. This summer we are going to start working more with DS (the 10 yr old) on cooking basic things. He is quite timid about the stove.

bluedaisyma 03-08-2013 08:13 PM

Everything we have done just came about naturally. My kids do chores from a young age. As we go shopping, I chat about looking at the "per unit" price vs price on tag, when we go to PO I explain what I'm doing....I'm a talker and also a doer so I talk about everything we do and engage them in doing it.

Even the 9 mo old helps me stir dinner and the 2 yr old made dip today, put his hand over mine to slice peppers, regularly makes the rice in the rice cooker and switches the laundry etc with help.

sry 4 abbrev, im 1 hnd-ed typng & nak frm my iPhone