Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Pumping in the car (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1498555)

mommaroo2Lou 03-09-2013 12:59 PM

Pumping in the car

This summer I am going to doing an internship where I have to drive out to rural areas for half the day to do outreach among migrant farmworkers. DS will be 6 mos old and with daddy for 9-10 hrs. I am think I am going to have to pump while driving as some of the drives will be really long and its not like I can ask farmworkers if I can pump in their bathroom or something. What supplies should I get? Does the pumpease work well? other good brands? Ideas on ways to store the milk (it will be really hot sometimes)? any other tips? This will be my first time pumping for an infant for an extended period of time so I am worried there are things I am not thinking of. Thank you!

HotPotato1010 03-09-2013 01:54 PM

Re: Pumping in the car

I have an Ameda Purely Yours. It's a great pump, easy to use and clean the parts, assemble, etc. It has a strong suction. It came with a car adapter to plug it in my car. I used a hands-free bra which was essential. The only problem was that the pump was so good that it blew the fuse in my car. :( Maybe go with a manual pump?...

For storage, it depends on how long the milk has to be out. The CDC gives some detailed guidelines HERE. I would get a cooler, some ice packs, and breastmilk storage bags. It's easier to keep the milk cold if it lays flat in a bag. You can lay the ice packs on top of the bags of milk.

MDever 03-09-2013 02:05 PM

Hands free pumping can be tricky depending on your breast size and shape. I have heard of several mamas doing it but I can't to save my life:chuckle: You need a few trial runs to be sure.

KailuaMonkey 03-09-2013 02:46 PM

Any pump can work handsfree with a pumping bra. I have never tried it while actually driving but I have pulled over and pumped many times.

CASMama711 03-09-2013 02:50 PM

I did it while my twins were in the NICU an hour away from our home. I pumped going to and from the hospital every day. For me, any double electric pump with a car adapter worked and I just pulled down my shirt over the flanges and zipped a snug fleece jacket around everything to hold it in place while I drove. I used Medela breast pump wipes to clean the parts after each use. You'll need a cooler with lots of ice packs in the summer. Be sure to store it on the floor of the car, out of the sunlight.

shortcake2386 03-09-2013 03:17 PM

I pump and drive. I had to get a battery pack box my car plug couldn't handle the pump and the fuses got blown. I don't have a pumping bra. I just wear a nursing bra with shirt in top and use my left arm to hold the flanges in place. Easy peasy.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

dncegrl 03-09-2013 03:26 PM

I pumped on my way to and from work. I didn't have a "pumping" bra..I just bought a clearance cotton sports bra and cut holes for the phalanges and they held in place. I wore a spaghetti strap so I could have easy access. I used a battery pack for pumping.

abunchoflemons 03-09-2013 03:47 PM

medela pump with car charger and cleaning wipes. I users insulated lunch box with ice packs.

IowaGold 03-09-2013 07:40 PM

I pumped while driving several times a week for several months. I am large chested but had no problems with a handsfree bra. I used the Pumpin' Pals shields with my Medela PISA. I would get hooked up before I left then when I was done I'd unhook the tubing. Sometimes I'd undo everything other times I'd wait until I reached my destination. At first I'd wear a nursing cover but got over that really quick! I decided if someone cared to look, so be it (you really couldn't see much with the handsfree). I used a cooler and ice packs to keep the milk cool.

jaelynsmommy61607 03-09-2013 07:52 PM

I love my pump ease. As far as pumps I'd get a Hygeia. The lbi model has an internal battery. I didn't think it was that big of a feature until I got one! I charge it once a week a d use it all week.