Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Do i keep pumping? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1498603)

babyike2011 03-09-2013 05:55 PM

Do i keep pumping?

Dd is just 5 weeks and I was ep'ing as she was early, had low blood sugar and jaundice...therefore she had formula and bm in bottles for a week. She (we) have finally got this breastfeeding thing going and she hasn't had a bottle in almost 2 weeks!!! My poor boobies are still filling up like crazy so I have been pumping a couple times a day still. If I stop pumping will my supply still build? I'm just afraid to lose my milk!!!!

keen1981 03-09-2013 05:56 PM

Nurse your baby 12x a day u will be fine. Pumps didn't always exist :)

babyike2011 03-09-2013 05:59 PM

Lol...true:) I failed bf'ing last time so I'm afraid of failing again...but she's growing good and not getting formula. Will my tatas stop feeling like boulders??? Lol

keen1981 03-09-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyike2011
Lol...true:) I failed bf'ing last time so I'm afraid of failing again...but she's growing good and not getting formula. Will my tatas stop feeling like boulders??? Lol

Yes :) when everything adjusts :)

jaelynsmommy61607 03-09-2013 06:09 PM

No need to continue to pump. I did pump every morning when I was on maternity leave. It helped build a stash for when I went back to work.

babyike2011 03-10-2013 09:58 AM

I do have a freezer FULL of milk:) but I guess thats not a bad thing. I don't plan on returning to work full time or at all for a few more months so I should be ok:) thanks ladies

kittenbaby77 03-10-2013 04:32 PM

My freezer is getting very full too lol! U can donate some of your extra milk later ;). I would slow down on the pumping to just pump in the morning to freeze if u have enough. Afterall, the more u pump, the more milk u will make. Focus on feeding the baby on demand and pump to released engorgement

l_Kimmie_l 03-10-2013 04:55 PM

Re: Do i keep pumping?

I loved having an over supply and huge stash. I had a low supply to begin with this time and struggled to nurse. I say pump all you can, especially if you are going back to work. I couldn't pump enough at work and my baby STTN so I lost my supply with my 1st.

R&S Mommy 03-12-2013 08:56 AM

As long as you are always nursing you will have enough to feed your baby. If you are trying to build a freezer stash then keep pumping to comfort.

4MileLove 03-13-2013 01:22 PM

7 months in... I pumped a ton when i was maternity leave. Making 12-20oz each pump. Fast-fwd to 5 month pp and I had a terrible issue with blocked ducts due to all the milk I was making. My baby was also slow gaining weight from the hind/foremilk imbalance. If I could go back I'd pump just as often for less time. I stopped the extra pumping at 4m pp and only pumped when I was away from the baby, with the exception of a morning pump... and my baby started gaining so much more weight. I even gained so much more time in the day. I have a FULL deep chest freezer of milk and I'm sort of grateful for it but then again, I'm scared to take from the freezer and not replace with the same amount of milk. Using the freezer supply is a slippery slope that may lead to a lower supply. I should mention, everyone is different.