Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Children of different genders sharing a bedroom? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1498629)

tink90 03-09-2013 07:05 PM

Children of different genders sharing a bedroom?

So, my older kids are a boy (7) and a girl (5), and I also have a LO who is 5 months, but he'll be sleeping with us for quite a while.

So my older 2 share a room and I was wondering if there was an age at which it becomes "not ok" for that anymore. I was even thinking of having my youngest share a room with them once he's older.....maybe even others if we have them.

I prefer to be minimalist in our monthly expenses, and I am going to be a SAHM and I don't want my hubs to have to work 2 jobs, so we prefer it this way so we can spend lots of time together as a family enjoying our children. Maybe in the future we'll be able to afford a bigger place, but not if hubs goes into ministry like he's thinking about :giggle:

Anyway, so opinions on them sharing room....ok? To what age? Suggestions if you've done this too please :goodvibes:

crunchymamaNY 03-09-2013 07:51 PM

Re: Children of different genders sharing a bedroom?

My kids shared a room at that age too. 1 boy age 7 at the time, 2 girls age 5 and 1. We had just moved and had to redue the other bedrooms, so we only had 2 bedrooms for the 5 of us for several months. They loved it, but it was hard on me because they talked a lot LOL!

Anyway, I think once they hit 5th grade or so, they may want their own rooms.

I will tell you now that my kids are (boy) age 13, (girl) age 11, and (girl) age 7 love spending weekends in the same room together by choice. I let them because it keeps them close, you know? I find nothing weird about it, and I wish my mom let me and my brothers enjoy weekends having "campouts" in our bedrooms.

crunchymamaNY 03-09-2013 07:52 PM

Oh and my youngest who is almost 3 usually ends up sleeping with DH and I.

Amandamama 03-09-2013 07:56 PM

Mine still shared at that age. We stopped when we started fostering. We rearranged the whole house and the adults moved into the den, gave each big kid a room, & foster littles share with our youngest.

erin_c_odonnell 03-09-2013 08:01 PM

When my oldest was 7 we stopped having them share rooms (2 yrs apart boy then girl ). I think by 8 it's time to split genders but that's my opinion. My brother and I shared growing up and I remember about that age noticing differences so yeah. Now we have a boy room and a girls room. Older son will share with younger in about 6 months (9 yr old and 1 yr old) and girls (almost 7,5,3) share.

raisingcropsandbabies 03-10-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amandamama (Post 16378859)
Mine still shared at that age. We stopped when we started fostering. We rearranged the whole house and the adults moved into the den, gave each big kid a room, & foster littles share with our youngest.

Keep a watchful eye, Mama. I had foster siblings and we shared rooms and some things happened at night. That's a lot of hours unsupervised. Don't know how old your foster kids are (4+, I would be worried), but just a word of hard learned advice. Take care!

lisathib123 03-10-2013 06:53 AM

Our kids have always had a "girl" room and a "boy" room.

mimi57 03-10-2013 07:31 AM

I had 4 girls in a row so we didn't have to deal with this for a long time. My son is just about to turn 2 and currently shares a room with the twins who are 3yrs old. The twins are about to move in with their older sister so we will have 1 girl in one room, 3 girls in one room, and ds in one room. Not sure where we will stick the baby girl yet. Makes the most sense to put her in with the 1 girl but I don't know.

mommyinthesun 03-10-2013 09:16 AM

My kids are 11(girl) and turning 6 this week (boy) and they prefer to share a room. We do have a room for each of them, but neither likes sleeping alone. I'm sure it'll change sooner rather than later for DD, but for now its that only time of day they don't bicker :giggle:

If I felt anything inappropriate was going on it would stop immediately, but really I'm not concerned or weirded out by different genders sharing a room.

mommy24babes 03-10-2013 10:58 AM

My older 2 6&8 share a room by choice.

I don't think there is a magic age. If when they get bigger and want privacy they can change in the bathroom. No big deal to me.