Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Okay, back to work 2mrw, how does this milk storage bag thing work? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1498681)

ericanicole1111 03-10-2013 07:07 AM

Okay, back to work 2mrw, how does this milk storage bag thing work?

Maybe this is a stupid question; but how does this work?

I am back to work 2mrw. DD is just about 8 weeks and I will be at work for 5 hours while she stays with my mom.

So today do I put some of the frozen storage bags in the fridge to thaw? How many OZs?

Once thawed how long can they stay in the refrigerator?

Too prepare- place thawed storage bag in cup of hot water until warm, right?
What if she runs out of thawed milk, is there a way to quickly unthaw the frozen milk safely?

cuddlebunny_24 03-10-2013 08:52 AM

Re: Okay, back to work 2mrw, how does this milk storage bag thing work?

As for the ounces, it really depends on how often/much baby eats. Previously frozen milk is usually good in the fridge for at least 24 hours. As for thawing frozen milk...... at the day care we take a container (storage bowl type) and put water in it microwave the water for a few minutes and then put the bag of frozen milk in the water after it has been warmed up. Usually takes no more than 5 minutes to thaw depending how hot the water is coming out of the microwave and then when thawed, put in bottle and feed baby (after testing temperature of course.)

HotPotato1010 03-11-2013 04:06 AM

I would send 10 oz. of breastmilk, to be safe. Since you're only gone for 5 hours, the baby might only take 2 small bottles of 4 oz. each. This all depends on your baby. After a week or so, you'll get to know how much milk your daughter is taking and you can adjust. Try and nurse her right before you leave for work, and right when you get home.

You should freeze the breastmilk in small-ish quantities so you're not wasting any if the baby doesn't drink it all. At the beginning, I was freezing milk in 2 & 3 oz. portions. Now that my baby is 10 months old, I feel more comfortable freezing in 4 & 5 oz. portions.

Take 10 oz. of breastmilk out of the freezer the night before and put it in the fridge to thaw a little bit. Then the next day, it's a little faster to heat up for your mom. Breastmilk can thaw in the fridge for 24 hours.

The safest way to thaw a bag of frozen breastmilk is in a bowl of warm/hot water. There is no other faster way. That's it.

Good luck at work, mama! Let us know how it goes!

Nerissa 03-11-2013 06:15 AM

Good luck. I would do fresh if you can--just easier

As for frozen-- like others said pull it out the night before. I always put the bags into another container JIK there is a leak so I don't waste anything. They are thawed by morning. I usually make the bottles up so they are ready.

As for how much-- that will take some adjustments at first since every baby is different.

I went back to work when DD was 8 weeks. It took some tweeking but she takes 3 3.5oz bottles while I am gone. Daycare has it down so that she takes her last bottle and then is ready to eat when we get home. For me that is one less pumping session.

Since you are only gone 5 hours--if you feed right before you leave the baby may only eat once (3 or 4 ounces) and then be ready to eat right when you get home. Personally I would aim for that so you don't have to pump as much.

ericanicole1111 03-11-2013 10:05 PM

Thank you so much ladies! My first day went well. I nursed her right before we left in the morning, she ate 5oz with my mom, and I nursed her as soon as I got back.

I never knew freezing could kill some of the nutrients so will def be doing fresh as much as possible now. & I believe I read from Dr Sears that after the 8 days if fridge you can move to freezer?

Love, love, love breastfeeding and so thankful it is working out so easily for me :)

Sarah-B 03-11-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericanicole1111
Thank you so much ladies! My first day went well. I nursed her right before we left in the morning, she ate 5oz with my mom, and I nursed her as soon as I got back.

I never knew freezing could kill some of the nutrients so will def be doing fresh as much as possible now. & I believe I read from Dr Sears that after the 8 days if fridge you can move to freezer?

Love, love, love breastfeeding and so thankful it is working out so easily for me :)

I really don't think it will last 8 days in the fridge then you can freeze. I think it is best to freeze it immediately if your going to freeze it at all. I think 3-4 days in the fridge is max.

Also a tip to tell your mom would be to check the zip seal right before heating to make sure it is locked. And when she puts it in the water drape the zipper end of the milk outside the bowl or sink.

Congrats on ur baby and breastfeeding it is wonderful :)

HotPotato1010 03-12-2013 04:02 AM

So glad your first day went well!

Nerissa 03-12-2013 06:37 AM

Glad your first day went well. I keep milk in the fridge for 5 days before freezing. I wouldn't do 8.

Every Friday I freeze the extra from the week. Which is usually Thursday and Friday pumping sessions. I pump at least once in the morning on Saturday and Sunday and that gives me Monday's bottles.

I like to have that extra in the fridge JIK something happens and someone would need to make an additional bottle. Much easier to just pour out 4oz than to find a bag in the freezer w/4oz and defrost.