Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Detergent smell in carseat cover :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1498936)

lina81 03-11-2013 08:36 AM

Detergent smell in carseat cover :(

I just bought a used carseat, and the previous owner very nicely washed the cover for me the night before...I wish he hadn't, because it now smells like scented detergent and I am very sensitive to scents. I have not had much luck getting detergent smells out in the past, and I need some ideas! I soaked it in citric acid and then washed it and sunned it dry, with no difference. Hmm...it just occurred to me that maybe a soak in bac-out would help? I was really happy to find this particular seat used and I'd hate to have to buy another now (or spend $80 on a replacement cover)!

ETA: I'd appreciate no comments on the fact that the carseat is used. That is my business, thanks!!

mumtothem 03-11-2013 08:52 AM

Re: Detergent smell in carseat cover :(

I thought you weren't supose to wash car seat covers.

lina81 03-11-2013 09:16 AM

I've never heard that. A lot of times they say don't machine wash. How else would you clean one?

mommyfrog 03-11-2013 09:18 AM

You can wash the cover, just not the straps. I'd be more worried about buying a used seat. Unless you know the people really well and trust them to tell you the truth, you don't really know for sure that it hasn't been in a crash, had the straps washed or been abused/misused in some other way.

s@hmommy 03-11-2013 09:23 AM

I would do a vinegar wash, it has always gotten smells out for me!

yukipr 03-11-2013 09:26 AM

I do wash mine.... Try vinegar. Leave it soak in water-vinegar mixture then wash as usual. Air dry only. Hope it helps.

Mom2Connor 03-11-2013 09:45 AM

You can wash covers, but not straps. That said, you shouldn't ever use or buy a seat from someone you don't trust your childs life with. People will lie through their teeth to make a buck.

TalkinBoutMyGirl 03-11-2013 09:59 AM

May just take time. Can you sit the cover out in the sun? I did that once and the smell stayed in my car for probably a month. Yuck!

lina81 03-11-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yukipr (Post 16383023)
I do wash mine.... Try vinegar. Leave it soak in water-vinegar mixture then wash as usual. Air dry only. Hope it helps.

I'll give it a try :) I have had very mixed success with vinegar in the past...it seems like it doesn't work so well in hard water. Maybe I need to up the vinegar content and add some borax.

lina81 03-11-2013 10:14 AM

Yeah, the sun is my favorite method. It often works if you leave things out long enough, but stuff fades, too :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl (Post 16383188)
May just take time. Can you sit the cover out in the sun? I did that once and the smell stayed in my car for probably a month. Yuck!