Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Refrigerator Oatmeal? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499044)

graceworks 03-11-2013 01:57 PM

Refrigerator Oatmeal?

Saw a refrigerator oatmeal recipe on Pinterest and googled around and found a few more. Its oats, yogurt, milk, and fruit and/or sweetener mixed and then soaked overnight in the fridge, and then you eat it cold out of the fridge.

I can't decide if this sounds delicious or gross. The pictures look pretty good but I can't imagine it being much more than a mushy, gooey glob.

Has anyone had it and can comment?

I made a batch of yogurt that turned out a bit grainy (I figured out my error) and I don't want to waste it so I'm trying to figure out uses for it. I figure maybe the texture in refrigerator oatmeal would mask the slightly grainy texture of my yogurt.

Resellmybelle 03-11-2013 02:02 PM

Re: Refrigerator Oatmeal?

I do this often, I use vanilla almond milk. It is delish! I make it in a mason jar. It makes a nice snack before working out too.

You can make a yogurt bread, I like this recipe.

va703 03-11-2013 03:47 PM

I've made it, I liked it and DH loved it. We did several flavors....I can remember blueberry and raspberry off the top of my head.

tesslouise 03-11-2013 04:55 PM

I've made it and I love it. But you definitely want some chia seeds (or ground flaxseed will work if you like the flavor--chia is flavorless) to help it set up.

mommaroo2Lou 03-11-2013 07:21 PM

It is awesome, like dessert for breakfast. I've made a vegan version too and it was excellent. I've done all the ones on the yummylife.com. My favs were the tropical, the blueberry maple and the banana chocolate. The only one I didn't care for was the pumpkin, but maybe thats just cuz I feed my dog so much of it that I associate it with dog food.

tesslouise 03-11-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommaroo2Lou (Post 16385329)
It is awesome, like dessert for breakfast. I've made a vegan version too and it was excellent. I've done all the ones on the yummylife.com. My favs were the tropical, the blueberry maple and the banana chocolate. The only one I didn't care for was the pumpkin, but maybe thats just cuz I feed my dog so much of it that I associate it with dog food.

Not just you, I've made pumpkin-PB refrigerator oatmeal and it tasted...healthy? Pumpkin is really pretty bland IMO. My fave is blueberry maple as well.

Hungry Caterpillar 03-11-2013 08:59 PM

I make the banana cocoa one for my husband and he adores it. We add a few (like a dozen) chocolate chips as well. We omit chia seeds because I've not found them at my local grocery.

It's almost like an oatmeal pudding. I'm not sure how else to explain it, but he really loves it.

If you do a banana one, I recommend not putting the banana in while it steeps. It makes it a bit funky. We just slice it in before eating. Or add fresh raspberries for Raspberry Cocoa. MMMM

gghmommy 03-12-2013 07:58 AM

to chime in, I've done the refrigerator oatmeal too, always good and you don't even have to have the yogurt if you just use milk. Preserves on it are yummy, you can just make jars of oatmeal, then add flavors as you eat it - I'd make a few day's worth at a time. Did this for DD last summer- great to take in the cooler when traveling too, always something hearty I knew she'd eat any time of day. (she was about 18 mos).
I've also made something from called swiss fruit salad. It's similar, but you make a big bowl - oats, milk, honey, then you chop up whatever fresh fruits you want. The lady I got the recipe from regularly did oranges, bananas, apples (shredded), plums, and nectarines. it was delish! Some like to microwave for a few seconds so it's not so cold, but I always like it fresh out of the fridge- like desert for breakfast!

wyldcat 03-12-2013 09:14 AM

LOVE refrigerator oatmeal..have tried it many ways...the most import thing not to forget is a pinch of salt...makes a huge difference imo....forgot it once and it tasted blah

graceworks 03-12-2013 02:16 PM

ok you've sold me and I will be trying this!! thanks everyone!