Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community -

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - (
-   Breastfeeding Support (
-   -   vitamin D (

gghmommy 03-12-2013 10:08 AM

vitamin D
how do you give it to your babe, before or after a feeding? how long do you continue drops and can I take anything that gives it to baby through breastmilk? (I figure not, but this would be so much easier for me)

tesslouise 03-12-2013 11:19 AM

If you take several thousand IUs of vitamin D every day and are not yourself so deficient that your levels need to "catch up," baby will get vitamin D from your breast milk. Kellymom has references.

mibarra 03-12-2013 11:57 AM

I just did drops whenever. They are sweet and my babies loved them.

manniewcu 03-12-2013 01:03 PM

Re: vitamin D
I was told to take 2000iu of Vitamin D each day while BFing in addition to my prenatal vitamin that I still took. I never had to give my baby anything else.

crunchycrossfitmamaof2++ 03-13-2013 08:26 AM

I was told to use the drops. Why do they need the vitamin d supplement though? My pediatrician was vague

l_Kimmie_l 03-13-2013 11:28 AM

I never used the drops. My pedi recommended it, but I happily declined.

mommaroo2Lou 03-13-2013 01:33 PM

I used the drops the 1st time but not this time. The doc said to just put a couple drops on my nipple before latching. I would think that in some places it might not matter so much but for a winter baby living here in Chicago, there is almost no Vitamin D getting made naturally from sun exposure. Today is the first sun I've seen in at least a week and it is too cold and windy to take a babe out. *sigh* I miss CA.

waterisntsomething 03-13-2013 01:53 PM

When DS was little we were out in the sunshine for enough time every day. Now that he's older I am giving him cod liver oil for his teeth but it has a lot of vit. D in it.

pinktoes 03-13-2013 02:03 PM

In the northern half of the U.S. it's very difficult in the winter months to get sufficient Vit D from the sun. Kelly Mom does explain it well but note even if mom isn't deficient (and MANY women are) very little is passed through to the breast milk.

With more and more benefits being researched, or if you tend to use sunscreen religiously, it's a good idea to supplement.
I supplemented just from the dropper. Or when I bottle fed I added a bit to my breast milk.