Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Non-biased BF info (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499291)

KendallMarie 03-12-2013 09:29 AM

Non-biased BF info

Are there any good sources of non-biased BF info? I'm finding as my due date gets closer my enthusiasm for BF is dropping off a little. I suspect it's fear of the unknown. I'm trying to read up on it... make myself more comfortable with the idea again.

But i have to be honest the sites with the heavy biased towards BF I find really off putting. Are there any sites that are less "YOU MUST BREASTFEED 100% NATURALLY ALL THE TIME" and more "here's information to help you breastfeed?"

I guess i really just want the "how to"-s not the propaganda.

Van1300 03-12-2013 09:36 AM

I've always found the kellymom.com website helpful. Full of research and evidence to back up what might be propaganda to some

UVASahm 03-12-2013 09:41 AM

Re: Non-biased BF info

There are some really great books that you can get at the library as well. I can't remember the titles but you can search while you are there and pick up one that looks like a good fit.

MakingHome 03-12-2013 10:01 AM

This is my favorite book-- the Nursing mother's companion. There may be some "pro bf" info but its almost all how-to and troubleshooting.

Nerissa 03-12-2013 10:04 AM

Do you have any friends that BF or a local LLL that you can visit or join their FB group.

For me the best advise/reassurance I got was from my BFF. She had two kids before I did and she choose to BF both. I was still scared and not all that confident but with a supportive DH and a good local LC I did okay.

The more kids I have had and more support groups I have found the better/more relaxed have become.

The best advise I received was if you think something isn't right seak help (in person) right away. Breast feeding may be uncomfortable at first as you get use to it, but it should not hurt/be painful/cause bleeding--if it does there is a problem. Don't let well meaning people tell you you should just tough it out.

LaughingPeaMama 03-12-2013 08:48 PM

ME! haha I just have a bit of experience attempting to BF the first and successfully BF the second past a year.

With the first I was so overwhelmed and so 100% breastfeeding that I set myself up for failure. For some reason I do not produce enough milk to feed my babies exclusively and when I have to pump it drops even more. So when I had the issue with my first and started the cycle of more formula etc it made it worse and I felt like a failure. I ended up pumping exclusively for 6 months, gave her what I had stored for the next 3 months and supplemented with formula as needed. I felt horrible but I knew I did my best with what I had.

With DS I started out early with a LC and got lots of encouragement. I made sure I nursed him ALL THE TIME and we did great with me taking domperidone and letting him nurse as much as he wanted. I did supplement occasionally if I missed a dose of the meds but didn't see the supply drop until I had to go back to work and start pumping. I made myself a pact that I would continue to let him nurse as he wished and would supplement formula as needed and not worry about the rest. It has been a complete different experience. DS LOVES nursing and uses it as a comfort. I get to know that he's getting all the breastmilk possible and we aren't stressing over it. I am still nursing him at least 2 times a day and pumping when I can.

Formula-you are not a bad mom if you use formula!!! I will say that both my babies could not tolerate similac at all. It gave them horrible gas and they had reflux so it made the reflux worse. If you notice tummy troubles try a sensitive formula or a soy formula. Also if you are nursing cut back on how much milk you drink and be careful about gassy foods. Other than that I was lucky and we didn't have any food sensitivities.
Unless you are using organic, the store brand formula works just as well, although some stores have organic too. Babies r us, target, cvs, and walgreens all get their formula from the same manufacturer so it is safe to switch between these. They don't have an organic though.

DONT stress....stressing is your worst enemy. Whatever choice you make will be the right one for your family.

wow didn't mean that to be so long

anne_josh 03-13-2013 01:18 AM

kellymom.com is great. I have found LLL to be a mixed bag--some of them are really down on assistive devices like nipple shields or supplemental nursers. I feel like anything that helps a baby bf is worth a try..

evasimone 03-13-2013 06:24 AM

Honestly I would go to a LLL meeting and find a decent Lactation consultant prior to delivery. I called and spoke with LLL leaders multiple times and I found them level headed and helpful. I actually had one LLL leader recommend a nipple shield (is the only way I can breastfeed DD so saved our breastfeeding relationship) so not all of them will be against them. The LLL forums have a lot of people who are "no excuses lactivists" IMO and when your struggling that attitude isn't helpful.

nursenmom 03-13-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakingHome (Post 16387303)
This is my favorite book-- the Nursing mother's companion. There may be some "pro bf" info but its almost all how-to and troubleshooting.

I totally agree, this book was awesome! I knew I wanted to breastfeed but was scared of how hard it would be and this book helped me through everything. I would highly recommend it.

Are you looking for more "how to" or "why"?

BTW while it is often a learning process for most moms and/or babes, especially in the beginning once you get things figured out you won't regret it. It is amazing for so many reasons.

KendallMarie 03-13-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerissa (Post 16387315)
Do you have any friends that BF or a local LLL that you can visit or join their FB group.

For me the best advise/reassurance I got was from my BFF.

I've had a look at the local LLL groups... I may be being very biased myself... but I took one look at the areas they meet in and said not a chance. My experience with mothers from those neighbor hoods have been less then pleasant. Lets just say they think rather highly of themselves.

And only two of my friends have kids... one BF but was done over 5 years ago. And the other... well she's so negative about her attempt at BF that she's only just stopped short of telling me I shouldn't even try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nursenmom (Post 16390143)
Are you looking for more "how to" or "why"?

Just the HoW To-s... like a technical guide. I've tried a few books and lots of sites and I'm just so tired of the uber lactivist statements. They just bother me to the point that I won't finish reading and so don't learn anything.

I know the Why's... all health benefits etc aside the financial reason should be a huge one for me.