Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Laid back nursing? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499505)

marenmccoy 03-12-2013 10:10 PM

Laid back nursing?

I've been looking at resources to help me be successful with bfing this time around and just read "Breastfeeding made Simple: 7 Natural Laws". Mostly it was stuff I've already heard, but I was really surprised by this idea of "laid back" nursing. I had never heard of anything but the standard upright, pillows, football hold etc. stuff. Even from the IBCLCs I consulted last time. So I guess my question is...really? It seems too easy somehow. What's your experience?

Raspberry Kisses 03-12-2013 10:19 PM

Re: Laid back nursing?

After my C-section, I got up every 2-3 hours to nurse my daughter and change her diaper. I got virtually no sleep and my health really suffered. :sadno: When she was about 4 months old, a friend told me about the Arms Reach Cosleeper... Best investment *EVER!!!* I was finally able to nurse my daughter without getting out of bed. I just laid on my side and she laid next to me to nurse. I was able to doze lightly and put her back in the cosleeper when she was done. I finally started getting sleep/rest again! :yay:

I'm not sure if that's what your book means by "laid back," but it's what worked for us! I hope you have a better experience this time around. :)

marenmccoy 03-12-2013 10:24 PM

Well, yes that's part of it, but the surprising part to me was the idea that this could be done exclusively from day one and might actually be better in the beginning to help with latch etc.

birdinhand 03-12-2013 10:42 PM

Laid-back breastfeeding, biological nursing, or baby-led breastfeeding are newish terms for something we have "discovered" lol, about our baby human mammals. We used to think our babies were dorsal feeders, that they needed to be on their backs. But as we looked to other mammal babies, we wondered if these helpless human babies could be more like their mammalian counterparts regarding instinct and reflexes -- other mammals don't need lactation consultants. As we studied the reflex responses humans are born with, we discovered these engae bet when baby is on his or her tummy, so we are actually stomach feeders (like almost all mammals). When a baby is on his or her tummy, there are close to 20 reflex responses that kick in to help the baby either get to the breast, latch to the breast, or transfer milk. Think about a baby on his or her back and how they startle -- it is not the position they are most comfortable with.

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

I have issues with this video clip -- optimally we lay the baby between the mom's breasts, skin-to-skin, and allow the baby to choose what side to go to. I don't know if they left the mom's shirt on, for modesty? but skin-to-skin helps the baby's reflex responses kick in better. You do get the idea about how the positioning goes anyway: http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

I have a ton of very pricey videos I have purchased that still, to me, do not show what I wanted families to see (Suzanne Colson, where the clip comes from, and another one by Kitty Franz and Christina Smillie, and a few others). I was so unhappy with them all I actually just made my own with my sister and her baby, and that's what I show in my classes. Even on youtube I can't find anything I like, plus I hate the side-bar clips that are usually ****ography-related.

It makes sense, and many IBCLCs will agree we have overcomplicated how we have taught breastfeeding byt saying, this is the this hold, and you have to hold your baby just like this, and basically making it procedural, step-by-step instructive thing versus letting the baby actually use the skills they are born with -- they are not helpless if they are put into a position where they can access those sequenced behaviors.

kittenbaby77 03-12-2013 11:58 PM

When my lo was born, his latch was poor. He was sleepy the first night that I had to wake him to eat...then he started sucking non stop even thou I didn't have much milk/ colostrum. He kept sucking and as soon as I take him off, he would cry. He would be on the boob all day from 7am to 1pm then all night cluster feeding. I napped 1-2 hours total within the first 3 days after giving birth.

What kept me saint was the side laying position to nurse him. I could relax and nap a little bit while nursing him. I continue to keep lo near for the next month coz he ate every 2-3 hours. Very lack of sleep but doable.

I had invited every nurses who took care of me in the post partum unit to check my "latch on" position. With latch on mastered, breastfeeding has been easy. ;)

evasimone 03-13-2013 01:09 AM

I pink sparkly heart laid back nursing. It's one of the thing that saved my breastfeeding relationship. It's so comfortable and my DD really enjoys it. I was taught the cross cradle and football hold, my DD would fuss and my back was uncomfortable.

It took me a few times to get it to where I felt really comfortable. My problem was that I started out with an angle too low. One of my favorite places to breastfeed is my car because the seat reclines! :giggle: but I have a nest of pillows set up in the corner of the sectional for the other times.

Eta: I didn't do this from day one because I didn't know about it. I started at 6 weeks or so.

crunchycrossfitmamaof2++ 03-13-2013 07:22 AM

I'm going to try this! Hadn't heard of it before but it makes sense

Tris 03-13-2013 07:36 AM

Oh neat I did that anyway on my own. :)

AngelElle 03-13-2013 08:00 AM

My LC told me about this and it worked like a charm. For the first three months I had to EP because we just couldn't latch and then would either cry or fall asleep. I remember in my emotional postpartum haze looking at my DS and DH cuddling and being comfortable and me being ready to cry because pretty much all our interactions had been failed feeding attempts that typically ended up in tears (mostly his, but not always :) ) We had an endless parade of nurses helping in the hospital for days before I asked for the pump. It took several times of just letting him snuggle on my chest before he went for it. It was life changing to not be constantly pumping, washing pump parts, bottle feeding, washing bottles. So yes, I'm a big big believer in laid back nursing!!!

HotPotato1010 03-13-2013 08:12 AM

birdinhand explained it perfectly! Laid-back nursing is basically when you kind of lay back and place the baby on top of you. I had to nurse DD1 this way because she had terrible reflux and had to be upright when nursing.

It took a couple tries to feel "right", but I really enjoyed it.