Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   dishwasher cleaner (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499658)

homebirthmom 03-13-2013 01:29 PM

dishwasher cleaner

I have a 2-3 yr old LG washer and its not been washing very well... so I did a clean with charlies, and one with a conventional market cleaner to just wash the inside w out dishes... well my dishes are still coming out with crud on them.
I used to use the expensive cleaner: the block with the ball in the middle
now Im using trader joes (omg so cheap and worked really well) but now my dishes are covered in gunk again. like fine dirt.
so I am now using biokleen and it seems worse again (bought cause it was on sale)

gah! what to do?
we have literally taken all the pieces out to wash them but there is a fine screen in there we cannot clean. and I can see bits in it. I am just wasting water and I have to use it daily with 7 people in the house.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 03-13-2013 01:39 PM

Re: dishwasher cleaner

A friend of mine says she put 1 cup of vinegar on the bottom of the dw and runs a cycle, no dishes. I haven't tried it yet but plan to.

homebirthmom 03-13-2013 01:54 PM

i did that too. poured in 1/4 bottle. but can certainly do it again!!

briggsy13 03-13-2013 02:04 PM

i'd do a quick search on Pinterest and see what comes up for deep cleaning dishwasher. Also can you tell if the water is getting hot? If your element for heating the water isn't working then it is trying to clean with cold water vs hot that will make cleaning a lot harder. Hot water alone will melt a lot of dirt and crud off.

homebirthmom 03-13-2013 02:05 PM

yes water is really hot and it steams for about 20 minutes after cleaning. must be a sanitary thing.

briggsy13 03-13-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebirthmom (Post 16391893)
yes water is really hot and it steams for about 20 minutes after cleaning. must be a sanitary thing.

bummer that would have been a pretty easy fix. Maybe email the company?

lakemom 03-14-2013 06:47 AM

Have you googled the problem? I was having problems with my dishwasher and dh found a step by step tutorial on how to take it all apart and clean out some place in the bottom that was clogged. We had glass (from the kids breaking glasses/bowls in there and not cleaning it out properly) clogging the spot where food particles are supposed to go down and get ground up (I think we ended up replacing a part that the glass ruined) so they were just getting recirculated and depositing a sand like residue on everything.

manniewcu 03-14-2013 07:24 AM

When my parents got a new dishwasher they were told to never use the pre-made tabs or packets. My in-laws were told the same thing when they were having issues (the tabs were the culprit). Those things have way too much soap and you don't need that much. It could be a reason you are having issues.

adrianev83 03-14-2013 07:29 AM

I clean my dw by sitting a glass measuring cup filled with white vinegar in the top rack & running it without anything else in there.

You could also look up "descaling dishwasher"

homebirthmom 03-14-2013 09:15 AM

its all silver on the inside. will that make a diff? I do see white specs in it sometimes, but when I use powder I have tried both methods of using more and less soap.

I will certainly google the issue. never thought of it. thanks
I only have about 7 of those squares left so I would like to use them up. for 2 yrs they worked great. just recently, its seemed we have half a load still dirty so I have to wash glasses and bowls by hand
perhaps we are just overfilling it w dishes