Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Can PUL be fixed once damaged? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499708)

joyfullyliving 03-13-2013 03:39 PM

Can PUL be fixed once damaged?

It's a long story how I ended up with these diapers, so I won't go there. The situation is that I have some BG 3.0 that have taken a beating. I'm going to replace the hook and loop. I worry about some of the PUL, though. It fails sometimes. Can I do anything to "re-waterproof" these? I want to put them on FSOT, but I don't want to sell a worthless diaper. The inserts are super. (Tempted to keep them.) I'm hoping someone can tell he what to do. Thanks!

Momma2Nick 03-13-2013 04:11 PM

I got some Bummi's covers several years ago from a friend and she said they probably weren't waterproof anymore but that I could buy waterproofing spray from Walmart, spray them down and let them dry for 24-48 hours. I did it and it worked perfectly. Is the PUL completely non existent? Not sure if it just has holes, if the spray would help or not. Could you use them as swim dipes if that doesn't work, or just in the house double stuffed when you're home?

ducky5306 03-13-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momma2Nick
I got some Bummi's covers several years ago from a friend and she said they probably weren't waterproof anymore but that I could buy waterproofing spray from Walmart, spray them down and let them dry for 24-48 hours. I did it and it worked perfectly. Is the PUL completely non existent? Not sure if it just has holes, if the spray would help or not. Could you use them as swim dipes if that doesn't work, or just in the house double stuffed when you're home?

Good to know!

joyfullyliving 03-13-2013 05:54 PM

I have plenty of diapers. DH has no idea how many some people have when says I need an intervention. :giggle: I may try spraying them. It's going to be challenging since they are pockets. Selfishly I'd like to sell them if I can. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mayghan 03-13-2013 06:24 PM

Re: Can PUL be fixed once damaged?

What kind of spray is it? I have BG 3.0s too, I have 7 of them and they are on kid #3 of being used as night time diapers (so basically once a week use other than lately when little miss decides to poop 3 times in her freshly put on night diaper lol). The PUL looks terrible but haven't leaked (yet!), I'd like to keep using them with #3 and possibly #4 if we have another but Im sure they will start leaking soon enough! I'd like to buy spray so Im ready to go!

BinahYeteirah 03-13-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyfullyliving (Post 16392721)
I have plenty of diapers. DH has no idea how many some people have when says I need an intervention. :giggle: I may try spraying them. It's going to be challenging since they are pockets. Selfishly I'd like to sell them if I can. Thanks for the suggestion!

Just keep in mind that you must disclose the fact that you sprayed them when you sell them. If they had to be sprayed to prevent leaks, I'd probably label them as having "bad PUL." I've never used this spray, but I've heard that it will eventually wash out. I'd be pretty upset to buy diapers only to have them go all leaky on me after a few washes.

Alaga 03-13-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayghan
What kind of spray is it? I have BG 3.0s too, I have 7 of them and they are on kid #3 of being used as night time diapers (so basically once a week use other than lately when little miss decides to poop 3 times in her freshly put on night diaper lol). The PUL looks terrible but haven't leaked (yet!), I'd like to keep using them with #3 and possibly #4 if we have another but Im sure they will start leaking soon enough! I'd like to buy spray so Im ready to go!

I'm assuming just traditional waterproofing spray? I used to use it on my hiking boots before I bought waterproof ones. Prob by shoe care items at the store....?

kittenbaby77 03-13-2013 07:37 PM

Cottonbabies suggested atsko spray but it only protects the diapers for maybe 30 washes then u will need to spray again. It does contain chemical... Not sure if if is good for babies...

Momma2Nick 03-13-2013 07:49 PM

It's waterproofing spray I got in the camping section at Walmart.

makingmemories 03-13-2013 09:17 PM

Interesting! If it is very small holes, sometimes a little run in the dryer can help seal them up again. If nothing else, I think you could use them as swim diapers!