Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   when to start pumping?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499817)

birdseye 03-13-2013 09:35 PM

when to start pumping??

I am due with my first lo in June. I plan on taking 8 weeks of work, but it may be 6 weeks due to finances. How soon after the baby is born do i start pumping, and how often? Also, when do I introduce a bottle so DH can feed him while I am at work?

I already have a medela pisa and all of the supplies I will need.

Thanks!!!

Tris 03-13-2013 09:48 PM

Re: when to start pumping??

I started pumping after my supply steadied, about a week or 2? I would manual pump one side while babe was nursing off the other, she would fill up on one side at a time for awhile so I was able to build a stash this way, as well as get used to pumping and take advantage of the let down.

Jleigh8289 03-13-2013 09:58 PM

Subbing! I've been wondering about this too. I always start pumping when my supply started to drop, but if you start pumping right away would it be better in your supply in the first place?

hopeangelmomof5 03-13-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tris (Post 16393539)
I started pumping after my supply steadied, about a week or 2? I would manual pump one side while babe was nursing off the other, she would fill up on one side at a time for awhile so I was able to build a stash this way, as well as get used to pumping and take advantage of the let down.

This.

Also, when my baby was first born she would eat on one side and I would leak out of the other-sometimes up to 2oz per feeding!!-and I would catch that with a bottle and freeze it.

HotPotato1010 03-14-2013 03:55 AM

I started pumping around 2 weeks.

You might have to return after only 6 weeks? Sheesh, mama, I'm sorry, but I know the feeling. If the baby will have to start bottles at 6 weeks, I'd start early with introducing a bottle. Maybe give 1 bottle a day starting around 3 weeks or so. (Both of my kids had a really hard time taking a bottle at daycare and I wish I had gotten them trained on it sooner.)

birdseye 03-14-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotPotato1010 (Post 16393900)
I started pumping around 2 weeks.

You might have to return after only 6 weeks? Sheesh, mama, I'm sorry, but I know the feeling. If the baby will have to start bottles at 6 weeks, I'd start early with introducing a bottle. Maybe give 1 bottle a day starting around 3 weeks or so. (Both of my kids had a really hard time taking a bottle at daycare and I wish I had gotten them trained on it sooner.)

I know...6 weeks isn't nearly long enough. I ended up in the hospital a few weeks ago for 5 days for asthma and ended up taking 3 weeks off of work. I used all my vacation hours. i will have maybe a week of vacation, then FMLA kicks in. I won't get paid once FMLA starts and I am not sure we can financially do more than 6 weeks. I'm upset about it all, but trying to accept it and plan the best I can.

evasimone 03-14-2013 09:05 AM

The LC told me a method that keeps it simple without taking tons of time or giving you an oversupply. In the morning like 3-5 a.m. only feed baby on one side. Either pump the other while feeding or right after for 15-20 minutes. An hour later offer the baby the other breast and pump the other. The morning you have the most milk so baby should be satisfied and you'll probably get 3-5 oz. From doing that.

Or you could end up doing what a previous poster suggested. Hold a bottle underneath one breast while the baby feeds on the other. I would catch usually 1 oz. On one breast and another ounce on the next and since I did it with both breasts I ended up with hind milk and foremilk.

If your baby isn't having latch issues I'd offer a bottle around 3 weeks. My DD takes a bottle great because she was introduced around 2 weeks (I had to pump for a while). But I never gave her a pacifier because I was afraid it would give her more trouble with her latch. I've been trying since 7 weeks and can't get her to take one.

Best of luck with your maternity leave OP. I hope you can end up with a longer one.

va703 03-14-2013 09:20 AM

I usually start pumping at about 1 week, once per day in the morning, to build up my freezer supply for when I head back to work. I have unpaid maternity leave, too, I know how hard that is!

Nerissa 03-14-2013 09:55 AM

I have returned to work at 6, 7 and 8 weeks with my kids. I did not start soon enough with my first, I just assumed I would always be able to pump enough at work, yeah didn't happen.

So with #2 and #3 I started pumping at week 2 or 3 depending on how everything is going. I feed one side and pump the other a couple times a day. Everything goes in the freezer.

l_Kimmie_l 03-14-2013 11:26 AM

I started pumping right away. I would feed baby on one side and then pump the other side. I did this from day one and was able to BF my LO, pump exclussively full time for another LO, and have a freezer stash for me. I would introduce the bottle at 3 weeks once per day too.