Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Does anyone else have a child who NEVER shuts up? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499907)

theonenonlymrssmith 03-14-2013 10:08 AM

Does anyone else have a child who NEVER shuts up?

I ADORE my son. He will be 5 in just a few weeks. And I love that he's so imaginative but seriously he will literally talk for HOURS non stop about his latest "invention" and he will talk sun up to sun down without taking a breath. is there any way to get him to be quiet without breaking his spirit?? Obviously I don't want him to always be quiet, but this incessant chatter is about to drive me bonkers. I need tips on dealing with a chatterbox!

rumblepurr 03-14-2013 10:10 AM

Re: Does anyone else have a child who NEVER shuts up?

LOL, this reminds me of the "quiet" game. Whoever is quiet the longest wins :giggle2:...

Dory 03-14-2013 10:10 AM

No tips here. But I can commiserate. My daughter (newly 5) is like this. She doesn't stop. She's also an arguer. She asks a question, if we tell her no, she goes straight into all the reasons it should be yes, so quickly you'd think it were a prepared statement. She just talks all.day long. Even in her sleep.

theonenonlymrssmith 03-14-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dory
Even in her sleep.

Yes, this too. Even in his sleep. Maybe someone else will have some tips for us!!

Malenkaya 03-14-2013 10:13 AM

My daughter is like this. She will be 5 in May. You can tell her numerous times she needs to be quiet, it doesn't make any impact. I work from home in a setting that is supposed to be professional (people on the other end of the phone expect me to be in an actual office). She wants to say hi to anyone I'm on the phone with - which doesn't fly for work calls. And she talks to EVERYONE when we go out. Literally.

She also talks all the way through meals and when we are trying to watch a TV show. That doesn't bother me as much, but it drives DH up the wall.

foggierbard9 03-14-2013 10:15 AM

My son turns 6 in September and he doesn't stop talking, ever...he talks in his sleep too. He was a late talker and didn't say more than 3 or 4 words before he turned 2, but when he started talking it came out in full sentences and hasn't ceased.

PBAki 03-14-2013 10:16 AM

I totally sympathize...DD1 is non-stop from the moment she wakes up. We feel bad because we tell her to please just stop talking for five minutes ALL the time which never works. We're hoping DD2 will be a non-stop talker so they can entertain each other :laugh:

Kmomto2 03-14-2013 10:18 AM

Yes! My 6yo dd drives me NUTS! She talks and talks about nothing. I feel so bad ignoring her but I have to to keep my sanity some days. The quiet game doesn't work, she has figured that out and just says "I loose" and continues to chatter or sing. LOL, I guess one day I will wish that she would talk to me.

l_Kimmie_l 03-14-2013 10:19 AM

My son will be 5 in May and NEVER shuts up. He has PDD NOs and did not even talk till he was over 2. He caught up! He does not sleep at night and talks all night too. At his school they use a chart. It has a talking voice, a whisper voice, and a no talk voice card. He velcros the appropriate voice to the card and has to follow it. At home we use a bean bag. If he has the bean bag he can talk, if not he has to be quite and not talk. It does not always work, but it is getting better.

Mama*Kim 03-14-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBAki
I totally sympathize...DD1 is non-stop from the moment she wakes up. We feel bad because we tell her to please just stop talking for five minutes ALL the time which never works. We're hoping DD2 will be a non-stop talker so they can entertain each other :laugh:

Aside from the fact I have DSs, not DDs, this is totally us. DS1 runs a million miles an hour every waking moment. He also has habits of talking really loud or speaking with very broken speech with both drive me nuts. You can tell his brain is moving faster than his mouth and... he... starts... talk... ing... like... *look at my car!*... this.