Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Would anyone want this? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499936)

mainlobster101 03-14-2013 12:33 PM

Would anyone want this?

We bought a used vehicle a couple of years ago and it has had one problem after another. We finally had enough of it so we purchased a NEW minivan and have spent the past few months finishing paying off this used vehicle, intending to sell it to carmax or something to just get whatever we can out of it.

The car has one main problem- the catalytic converter needs to be replaced which is about $2000 to get the correct one. This causes the check engine light to come on and it won't pass inspection without replacing this part (its been out of inspection for about a year now and has just sat in the driveway). We know carmax won't give us much for it so we thought about GIVING it away to someone.

Would anyone even WANT this car or do you think they would just be offended that we even offered? There is a family in particular we are thinking of who currently sold their newer car and are just using an older vehicle and sharing it. I assume they sold it to get rid of the car payment. It would take $2000-3000 for them to get the car fixed, inspected, and USABLE but not perfect. And then I can't promise that another little thing might not need to be fixed here and there.

We could also just donate it. I just wanted to see what other people think about maybe offering it to that family.

Thanks!

ahoward89 03-14-2013 01:08 PM

Honestly, I would just donate it. It might end up being a burden to your friend and then they would have to figure out what to do with it. Tough question. Good luck!

acwakip 03-14-2013 01:10 PM

Not all states require inspection. Do you live near another state that doesn't require it? If the car is loud due to the converter issue you might still have trouble unloading it. I wouldn't be offended to have someone offer such a gift but don't take it personally if the turn it down. :) It is really nice of you to think of them.

Sent from my not-so-smart-phone

briggsy13 03-14-2013 01:18 PM

Re: Would anyone want this?

I see listings on craigslist for cars like this. If that is the only problem then yeah for $2000 to have a running car would be great for someone. I'd post it and see if someone needs/wants it.

mainlobster101 03-14-2013 01:20 PM

We are near another county that still requires inspection but not the emissions part which is what the car would fail. I think the family actually lives in that county... hmm.

Kandii03 03-14-2013 01:26 PM

We just had a situation. For awhile we could only afford to put 600 in here and 500 in there and while it all added up to waht could have been a good downon a new car...it was atleast spread over time and we could better afford that. But this last time it was just too much to be worth fixing, especially knowing that in all likelihood another 6 months from now it would be somethign else. We actually scrapped ours. Its somehting to look into. Look into about how much it would affect your next years taxes and how much you think you will get for it...verses hwo mcuih you might get if you srap it and get cash in hand (perhaps to add to your down ona mini). Some dealler might even give you 500 for it and scrap it themselves takign whatever parts they find useable on it.

Rdesonia 03-14-2013 02:24 PM

DH said that if a person is handy the part would only be $100. He says it is not something you need to (typically) remove the engine for. It is often under the car near the muffler. He assures me it is an easy fix. (He told me if he bought me a Chilton's manual, I could fix it! Granted... I have actually done minor repairs to cars such as fix radiator hoses and such.)

He said even if the part was $300 or so ... a person could always go to a junk yard and get it for about $20. (Again they just have to shimmy under the car to remove the part.)

He said you *might* have to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or so (charge it up since it has been sitting) & drive it to reset the check engine light. He said the biggest issue would be getting the check engine light to reset. The car would also need to have all fluids changed after sitting that long before it was driven. (oil change, brake fluid, etc) Heet put in the gas tank (in case there was a moisture build up) and the tires inspected for dry rot.

He said it would take less than $200 to get it running if the person was mechanically inclined.

Rdesonia 03-14-2013 02:24 PM

DP grinch got me...

Call Napa or an auto parts store to get the exact cost of the part & let the family know what it will cost so they will know upfrnt.

P!nkPepper 03-14-2013 02:34 PM

Depending on if you need money yourself & how heavy the car is, you could part it out then scrap what's left. We did that with our old Tahoe. DH made $500 for scrap after making quite a few hundred on parts.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

AniMommy 03-14-2013 02:38 PM

I would donate it to goodwill or the like rather than give it someone that I was friends with. I had a series of POS cars that needed 2 or 300 to fix every few months. It wasn't until I got a new car that I realized that I wad spending the same amount of money on payments but at least it wasn't a surprise when it would happen.

Plus charities use the car to train workers and then sell the cars to make money for the charity. Or get money for scrape value.

If you sell it in craigslist there's no harm as long as your honest about what's wrong with it.