Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help for a friend (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499939)

mommabritt 03-14-2013 12:40 PM

A friend of mine has a little boy, 4 weeks old, and she is still hurting while nursing. She is trying to ind a lactation consultant near us to meet with but it's tough.

I know many of us have endured pain for weeks and maybe months, but I don't think she'll last that long. She almost gave up last night. I am thinking latch/position issue but she says he's on correctly. She isn't comfortable with me checking, although I've got lots of nursing experience and have coached three girlfriends into successful nursing.

What can I do? Any ideas?

Nerissa 03-14-2013 12:47 PM

Re: Help for a friend

I thought my latch was right-- I had nursed two other babies without issue but she left me sore and bleeding within a week. The LC helped me tweek it just a tiny bit and Oh my Goodness the difference. DD was just a little to high. It took someone else watching from the front to see. When I looked from the top it looked right to me.

She defiantly needs to seek help ASAP. Like the LC and the LLL members told me---It should not hurt, uncomfortable at first, maybe but hold my breathe pain--no.

mommabritt 03-14-2013 12:55 PM

I'm glad you figured it out. And I completely agree, sometimes the smallest little tweak changes the whole thing. Quite amazing really.

She's tried different positions.

She is wondering if she can stop the session after 10 mins or so and offer a paci to see if he is just looking for sucking comfort. I can't see this going well for milk production but she is desperate.

She has two other children through adoption whom she didn't nurse. They are wonderfully happy and healthy and I think she wants the experience, but she's not against stopping if its frustrating. I really want to help her be successful.

***Btw- i am not anti formula, my ds2 was ff after 5 weeks because that's what we needed to be happy. I just meant that I don't know how strong her will to nurse is and sometimes we need that will. I hope that doesn't sound insensitive.

gghmommy 03-14-2013 01:28 PM

I'd maybe also try to pump some so that she or dad could give a bottle maybe once or twice a day. I've been battling oversupply issues and letdown has been quite painful, but passes. Also, now at 5, almost 6 weeks, I'm not having as painful letdown and not so sore nipples. My pediatrician suggested pumping and having dad give a bottle once a day to give me a little extra sleep! (she nursed and pumped for 3 kids while working, so it's not like she's trying to shove formula on anyone, just knowing a well rested mama makes for a happy mama). Is she using lanolin? Can she ask her pediatrician or nurse from their office to check her latch- sometimes a medical professional is more comfortable to see your lady parts than a friend. Try a nipple shield? Does she have anyone helping her with her other 2 kids? maybe some alone time with newborn may offer her a little extra rest and not having the distraction or stress of keeping up with another 2. My hospital also offers to have LC see you when you deliver - I saw someone about 3-4 times in hospital to make sure I was doing things right and we were getting a good latch. I can also call them anytime for questions and advice (have done so twice about oversupply already). I'm sure if I really needed it, I could go see them at hospital in their office with baby if there was no one else I could see/get advice from. I'm just trying to think of anything I can! Hope she gets some relief and enjoys it soon. I know I love when things go well and we have a peaceful session and just cuddle afterwards. good luck.

mommabritt 03-14-2013 01:59 PM

She is pumping, she return to part time work in two weeks so building supply. Dad feeds bottles about every other day.

No oversupply, or letdown issues. Just general nipple pain.

I haven't thought of the nipple shield. Im usually hesitant to recommend it bc my ods was hooked on it and we never nursed successfully without it for 13 months, that sucked. I know a few other women IRL who've had similar experiences. Helps with the pain initially, then refusal issues when trying to go back to the nipple.

birdinhand 03-14-2013 02:28 PM

Check out the thread on here about laid-back breastfeeding -- this may help her.

abunchoflemons 03-14-2013 04:07 PM

Sounds like latch. Which ways does she do it? My boy now would breastfed and it was sore like really dry so try lansinoh. After a few Weeks I was better. I wanted to cry everytime baby ate if I was new to breastfeeding baby I might have stopped. Glad I didn't. He loves to eat.

mommabritt 03-15-2013 10:25 AM

She has mastitis. :( Going to treat that and hopefully the pain will subside.

l_Kimmie_l 03-15-2013 10:30 AM

Too bad she has mastitis, but glad she found out why she was having so much pain and can get it treated. Hope things improve greatly and fast for her.