Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Food Sensitivity or not? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1500012)

Sarahknavy 03-14-2013 02:31 PM

I have having so much trouble with my newborn. I feel like I might have overactive letdown on one side. She pops off and is fussy a lot when nursing. I try nursing her on top of me and it helps a little but not much. She is very colicky. Doesn't like to be swaddled, not a huge fan of the sleepy wrap, doesn't like the swing, doesn't even like to be held sideways. The only way I can get her to settle is bouncing on a yoga balletic her upright and SOMETIMES rocking cest to chest.. Her poop seems normal to me. No rashes or excessive spit up.

So ... What do you think I should try now...

abunchoflemons 03-14-2013 03:01 PM

Colic. Usually extra spot up is hint or stools for DOS sensitivity.

l_Kimmie_l 03-14-2013 03:52 PM

Re: Food Sensitivity or not?

I say gas for sure. They have such sensitive guts at that age. Might be silent reflux. Mine had it.

birdinhand 03-14-2013 05:39 PM

Could just be a fussy baby :(. They make those, you know. I don't read anything that sends up a red flag. One thing about swaddling -- it isn't meant for every baby as it tends to "shut down" babies. There are also studies that link swaddling to overheating, SIDS, hip dysplasia and even other illnesses, as well as early swaddling interferring with breastfeeding.

BUT, when you have a fussy baby, this can be a very real tool if it works for you, calms your baby, and helps you guys adjust and get by! So, are you sure you are swaddling tightly enough? I know I pretty much disagree with the whole philosophy FOR A HAPPY, NON-FUSSY INFANT, but have you watched Dr. Karp's video? He does a good job of showing effective swaddles.

I know I am all kinds of two-sides here, but there have been many studies that show it isn't what babies were meant to do (do other mammals swaddle their young?). So routinely I don't advise it, but when push comes to shove and you are in coping-mode, you have to do what works.

ducky5306 03-14-2013 05:54 PM

Both my kids thought swaddling was torture! My little one was pretty fussy those first few weeks I liked the gripe water and gas drops they seemed to help. I also had over active let down and over supply so that had to work itself out. It passes quickly mama.. Hugs

Sarahknavy 03-14-2013 06:04 PM

I definitely know how to swaddle. My son was swaddled on top for 8 months! She just doesn't like her hands tied down. We learned this at the hospital and I have tried again a few more times since then.

I sure hope it passes soon. There are sections of last night I don't remember. I am so exhausted!

The Fancy Pansy 03-14-2013 06:27 PM

Sounds like silent reflux to me!

birdinhand 03-14-2013 06:57 PM

If you think it may be reflux, you could talk to your doc about a trial of medication to see if that iproves things -- often families notice baby gets relief within days of medication, as the erosion heals.