Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Why is ground beef never on sale anymore? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1500280)

graceworks 03-15-2013 01:18 PM

Why is ground beef never on sale anymore?

It used to be that ground beef would go on sale maybe once a month for between 2.39-2.89 and I would always buy a big thing to make various meals. I haven't seen it on sale in MONTHS. I will only buy the store-ground meat, not those rolls of meat.

Anyone know what's up with it never being on sale anymore? Is it like that where you live too? (we are in northern NJ)

We are getting sooooo tired of chicken and I'm longing to make a good chili or taco or meatball or meatloaf! My budget is super tight and ground beef is great for thrifty meals but not so much anymore...

Tiffanylamp 03-15-2013 01:39 PM

Re: Why is ground beef never on sale anymore?

I *think* this past summer was really hard on cows (drought = no green pastures) and they actually have a little bit of a shortage. I read that because of this beef prices will be high this year.

Just googled and found a short article http://economy.money.cnn.com/2012/12/14/beef-prices/

Hope this helps:) And, if you find it on sale you might want to stock up;)

Mama2ManyBoyz 03-15-2013 01:54 PM

There are always good sales around Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day. I stock up then, enough to get to the next holiday. Then at Labor Day I bought like fifty lbs. Next time I need to wrap it better. It's starting to get freezer burn. ETA: My local Meijer had it for $1.99 a lb, sometimes $1.88 but even some of the other local stores ran the sales as well.

MrsCrafty 03-15-2013 02:13 PM

ITA with Tiffany. We farm and luckily early rain meant our crops were ok, but even 20 miles away entire fields were just dead. So feed prices sky rocketed and if you can't afford to feed your cattle you sell them off. So prices for meat were probably better in the fall/winter, and now that so many slaughtered their animals early the supply isn't as great. :goodvibes:

my2sweets 03-15-2013 02:22 PM

Yep, the drought is forcing beef prices up. I use ground turkey-have for years-and no one ever knows unless I tell them lol Its better for you and here cheaper then ground beef. Maybe look into it? :goodvibes:

ambieone 03-15-2013 02:47 PM

We are military and luckily they freeze and then mark down the ground beef that needs to be sold quickly. I can get 1.5lbs of store ground 93% lean beef for around $2.50 or so. I check every time I go to see if they have any. Do any stores where you at do this?

Fwiw, I can totally taste the difference between ground turkey and beef. But if you like ground turkey its a good idea.

cherylchoo 03-15-2013 02:56 PM

I have not seen ground beef on sale for less than $3/lb in months. I only buy the discounted ones that are about to expire.

frugalmomof2 03-15-2013 03:11 PM

I know Sam's has 10lb of 90% for $28.99 regularly.

Mags462 03-15-2013 03:12 PM

I started a thread like this 6ish months ago :giggle:

It FINALLY went on sale about a month after i complained and i bought 12lbs.... we are now down to the last 1.5 lbs.... so i am hoping i can snag some on sale again soon.

and my food saver kept my beef freezer burn free :)

P!nkPepper 03-15-2013 03:36 PM

In February I bought 20 lbs at $2.20 a lb. In NE Ohio we had 3 different stores put it on sale in a 2 week period. My family typically uses 2 lbs at a meal unless it is spaghetti (then we use 1/2 lbs). We also have had loads of meat sales. I would have bought more but my DH has yet to clean our moldy deep freezer. He let it mold (didn't clean/dry it before our move) so he cleans it.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k