Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   International (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Anyone in Thailand? :) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1500681)

epanouie 03-16-2013 09:54 PM

Anyone in Thailand? :)

Anyone in Thailand? and using cloth diapers?

vatblack 03-16-2013 09:59 PM

Re: Anyone in Thailand? :)

No, but I used to live there and my clothes was washed by hand (by someone I paid). If you live in an apartment building you pay for laundry and they use machines.

Do you have your own washer and dryer? Some of the upscale apartments had those.

ETA: I was not ever close to being a mom there and I never, ever thought about it at all, so I'm no help. Just trying to imagine how you'd do it?

epanouie 03-16-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vatblack
No, but I used to live there and my clothes was washed by hand (by someone I paid). If you live in an apartment building you pay for laundry and they use machines.

Do you have your own washer and dryer? Some of the upscale apartments had those.

ETA: I was not ever close to being a mom there and I never, ever thought about it at all, so I'm no help. Just trying to imagine how you'd do it?

I appreciate your thoughts!! :) I live in the sunny, dry southwest US currently and am just trying to imagine how drying them would work especially...I can hang them out for an hour here and they're totally dry. There I know it is hot and humid most of the time...:)

vatblack 03-16-2013 10:16 PM

Okay, the lady who hand washed my clothes hung them out to dry. My clothes were never machined dried. But I did not live in a classic apartment. I lived at the back of a family owned house and it was their worker who took my laundry for extra cash.

Some apartment buildings have communal laundromats too. I simply never used any of those things because I just used the services. If you live in an apartment and you are lucky to have a sizable balcony, you can probably line dry it on there.

Depending on the day, I don't think it takes too long to dry, but it isn't as fast as in a dry climate (also lived in Israel and the difference in drying time is remarkable).

Are you going to live in Bangkok? All the information I give you might be totally different if you live outside the main part of Bangkok. The further out you live, the bigger spaces you can rent for affordable prices. Bigger places, more space for hanging laundry and probably more likely that you will have good access to a washer and dryer.

epanouie 03-16-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Okay, the lady who hand washed my clothes hung them out to dry. My clothes were never machined dried. But I did not live in a classic apartment. I lived at the back of a family owned house and it was their worker who took my laundry for extra cash.

Some apartment buildings have communal laundromats too. I simply never used any of those things because I just used the services. If you live in an apartment and you are lucky to have a sizable balcony, you can probably line dry it on there.

Depending on the day, I don't think it takes too long to dry, but it isn't as fast as in a dry climate (also lived in Israel and the difference in drying time is remarkable).

Are you going to live in Bangkok? All the information I give you might be totally different if you live outside the main part of Bangkok. The further out you live, the bigger spaces you can rent for affordable prices. Bigger places, more space for hanging laundry and probably more likely that you will have good access to a washer and dryer.

Oh yes, this is excellent information...thank you so much!! :) I truly appreciate it!

vatblack 03-17-2013 08:07 AM

I just thought of something. If you have space inside your apartment, you might want to hang inside and put a fan on it. There are very effective standing fans in Thailand for very cheap. The wind from the fan helps things dry faster and then you don't have to worry about hanging it out in the pollution of the city.

epanouie 03-17-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

I just thought of something. If you have space inside your apartment, you might want to hang inside and put a fan on it. There are very effective standing fans in Thailand for very cheap. The wind from the fan helps things dry faster and then you don't have to worry about hanging it out in the pollution of the city.

Genius!

Shimpie 03-18-2013 10:44 AM

Thailand native here. Well sort off. I've lived in the States since I was two. I was born in Bangkok and visit family every few years.

My family has a maid who does the laundry. Maids are commonplace even for middle class Thai families. Washing machines aren't ubiquitous the way they are here, but they are increasing in number. Dryers are rare, and most people hang their laundry to dry. Even with the humidy and contant rain during monsoon season, clothing dries fairly fast. With the possiblity that your diapers may have to be hand washed and air dried, thick cotton and hemp inserts may be a challenge.

epanouie 03-18-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimpie
Thailand native here. Well sort off. I've lived in the States since I was two. I was born in Bangkok and visit family every few years.

My family has a maid who does the laundry. Maids are commonplace even for middle class Thai families. Washing machines aren't ubiquitous the way they are here, but they are increasing in number. Dryers are rare, and most people hang their laundry to dry. Even with the humidy and contant rain during monsoon season, clothing dries fairly fast. With the possiblity that your diapers may have to be hand washed and air dried, thick cotton and hemp inserts may be a challenge.

Thanks a bunch for your input!! :)

kimb96 03-18-2013 08:02 PM

I lived in Thailand for 3 years. We just moved back about 18 months ago. Even in the humidity, clothes dry in a couple of hours. We had maid who did our laundry and I did it on weekends. You can have a front loading washing machine similar to here in the US but they are much smaller. I don't think it will be a problem using cloth. I would wash them in the washer and hang them to dry. We also did the drying rack in the house with a fan on rainy days. It works ok but it does take a lot longer to dry than when you have them out in the sun.

Where will you be living in Thailand?