Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Help me understand... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1500853)

mommadeeof4+ 03-17-2013 03:31 PM

Help me understand...

why is there such a HUGE pricetag on some baby carriers? is the fabric expensive, are they hard to make or what?? i think what equally baffles my mind is that so many mamas have multiple super expensive carriers! i joined the fb babywearing swap page and i am embarrassed to list my basic gauze wrap because everything else on there is 100-500+ dollars. i LOVE babywearing, love love love it but i guess i just dont get the hype over these expensive carriers, then again maybe i would get it better if i could afford them? i "invested" in an ergo and waited for a sale, coupon and saved money up for a while to purchase it so i am turned off by the high prices to be honest, partially because we could never afford one (and so i get a little bratty when i see one i love for 300$ and it seems like every other mama posts a stash shot with 10 of them in different colors :giggle:) and partially because i just dont see why they are any better than a simple quality wahm made mei tai or wrap you can find for under 50$?

jessicanashville 03-17-2013 03:41 PM

Re: Help me understand...

I don't understand it either. I would like to have a woven wrap for the functionality and I never will because I can not force myself to spend an entire electric bill on one. Sadness.

Check out hyenacart...there were two on their last night..one was at $300+ and the other one was $600+. I could get a new dishwasher and a riding lawn mower used for that!

A WAHM could make some serious money making them and even selling them for $50 or $60 I am sure the fabric is salty but there is no way the cost that much to make

squirrly 03-17-2013 04:37 PM

I don't have any expensive carriers, either. My personal budget is pretty slim. And that's ok! I've tried some spendy ones, though, courtesy of friends who do have them and our group library. Our library has a spendy WCMT, and it is definitely worth more money than a basic Babyhawk (not that there's anything wrong with BH - I have one). The fabric is just softer, it's more supportive without being heavy or stiff, etc. And, it IS a really high quality WAHM-made WCMT. Most of the conversions are WAHM businesses.

As someone who sews a LOT, the work required to make a WCMT is hefty. And, because those wraps are expensive (and often hard to find), their materials cost is higher than something like BH. Also, the liability insurance a carrier maker needs to carry and the cost of safety testing their carriers isn't insignificant.

It can be tough if the carrier you want is way out of your budget, but there are plenty of awesome carriers (of all types) in every price range - wraps included. Some of the really rare handwoven wraps may be out of reach, but there are other really lovely and functional ones out there.

If you want a woven wrap at a lower price, check out LennyLamb. Their brand new prices are pretty reasonable, and we have a leader who has (and loves) one of their cotton/bamboo blends. We're probably going to add one to our group library soon.

Mommadee, not sure where in MA you're located, but if you want to check out our group library, we'd love to have you! http://www.bwiboston.com. We have a meeting on Wednesday.

Fashionably Green Baby 03-17-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrly (Post 16405303)
I don't have any expensive carriers, either. My personal budget is pretty slim. And that's ok! I've tried some spendy ones, though, courtesy of friends who do have them and our group library. Our library has a spendy WCMT, and it is definitely worth more money than a basic Babyhawk (not that there's anything wrong with BH - I have one). The fabric is just softer, it's more supportive without being heavy or stiff, etc. And, it IS a really high quality WAHM-made WCMT. Most of the conversions are WAHM businesses.

As someone who sews a LOT, the work required to make a WCMT is hefty. And, because those wraps are expensive (and often hard to find), their materials cost is higher than something like BH. Also, the liability insurance a carrier maker needs to carry and the cost of safety testing their carriers isn't insignificant.

It can be tough if the carrier you want is way out of your budget, but there are plenty of awesome carriers (of all types) in every price range - wraps included. Some of the really rare handwoven wraps may be out of reach, but there are other really lovely and functional ones out there.

If you want a woven wrap at a lower price, check out LennyLamb. Their brand new prices are pretty reasonable, and we have a leader who has (and loves) one of their cotton/bamboo blends. We're probably going to add one to our group library soon.

Mommadee, not sure where in MA you're located, but if you want to check out our group library, we'd love to have you! http://www.bwiboston.com. We have a meeting on Wednesday.

All of this.

mommadeeof4+ 03-17-2013 05:23 PM

glad i am not just being a brat about it all LOL. i just see these GORGEOUS rainbow prints and i fall in love! i am going to sell one of my gauze wraps since i have 2 (got one as a gift after i already bought myself one) and try to find a mei tai with the front panel thingy in a somewhat similar print if thats possible, then i will have my ergo, 1 wrap and 1 mei tai which is more than i really need but i like having options :)

mommadeeof4+ 03-17-2013 05:24 PM

we are in andover, pretty close! thank you so much, i had no idea there was a local babywearing group!
Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrly (Post 16405303)

mommadeeof4+ 03-17-2013 05:25 PM

wow, that is just nuts and for me too i could find much better more important places to spend that money!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessicanashville (Post 16405106)
Check out hyenacart...there were two on their last night..one was at $300+ and the other one was $600+. I could get a new dishwasher and a riding lawn mower used for that!

bluedaisyma 03-17-2013 06:06 PM

Expensive fabric, hard to find fabric and as people said, things like a wcmt are made by one mama, sometimes with a lot of customs, etc. I have seen some cashmere wraps go up to $1000. Thing is, they hold their value or increase. I only buy used carriers and would rather spend more for a better quality used one than a poorer quality new one. And if I count the hours I wear a baby a day up through age 3 or longer, it's pennies a day or less! Just like ppl pay $1000 for a bugaboo stroller.

sry 4 abbrev, im 1 hnd-ed typng & nak frm my iPhone

Fashionably Green Baby 03-18-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedaisyma
Expensive fabric, hard to find fabric and as people said, things like a wcmt are made by one mama, sometimes with a lot of customs, etc. I have seen some cashmere wraps go up to $1000. Thing is, they hold their value or increase. I only buy used carriers and would rather spend more for a better quality used one than a poorer quality new one. And if I count the hours I wear a baby a day up through age 3 or longer, it's pennies a day or less! Just like ppl pay $1000 for a bugaboo stroller.

sry 4 abbrev, im 1 hnd-ed typng & nak frm my iPhone

The last part hit it exactly for me. I don't use a stroller and so an expensive carrier is my stroller. I wear my kids constantly and into toddlerhood. In fact DS is 4 and still gets worn when we need to walk alot or if it is really busy because he gets nervous (sensory issues). People don't think much of a 2-300 dollar stroller and my carrier serves that purpose.

I also like variety for different situations and temperatures. I still covet a woven wrap ( a nice one) but right now I just have 2 moby style wraps (1 really stretchy, one just sorta stretchy), a gauze wrap that I made, 2 Mai tai's, a maya wrap ring sling, and the ergo.

The only one I paid full price for was the ergo.

mommadeeof4+ 03-18-2013 07:22 AM

you know that is so funny i never thought of it that way! we have a 5 year old chicco umbrella stroller that i have used like 2x with my last 2 babies since i am always wearing them so if i had wanted a double or triple stroller or something i would easily spend 100$ used nevermind the cost of one new so a more expensive carrier can be justified much better when that is the case!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby (Post 16406878)
The last part hit it exactly for me. I don't use a stroller and so an expensive carrier is my stroller. I wear my kids constantly and into toddlerhood. In fact DS is 4 and still gets worn when we need to walk alot or if it is really busy because he gets nervous (sensory issues). People don't think much of a 2-300 dollar stroller and my carrier serves that purpose.

I also like variety for different situations and temperatures. I still covet a woven wrap ( a nice one) but right now I just have 2 moby style wraps (1 really stretchy, one just sorta stretchy), a gauze wrap that I made, 2 Mai tai's, a maya wrap ring sling, and the ergo.

The only one I paid full price for was the ergo.