Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Michigan or Wisconsin Family Vacation (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1501122)

sizzlemom 03-18-2013 01:07 PM

Michigan or Wisconsin Family Vacation

Looking for some good family vacation spots in the Michigan or Wisconsin area. We have gone to the Wisconsin Dells for years and now that the ENTIRE extended family wants to go, I just cannot imagine spending that much money on rooms there for 17 people!!

I am looking for someplace where there is plenty to do. There are 7 kids, all boys, raning in age from 1 - 11.

Any suggestions?

raymark 03-18-2013 01:09 PM

Re: Michigan or Wisconsin Family Vacation

Mackinac Island is great. I prefer visiting Michigan over Wisconsin.

MamaJules 03-18-2013 01:12 PM

I grew up in Wisconsin, so of course I prefer going there :) Are you wanting to camp? Or are you preferring hotels? There are some nice state parks that we used to go to pretty frequently. Door County is nice, too.

CntryMama 03-18-2013 01:14 PM

You can rent homes for a week at the Dells - that is cheaper then Door County or Manitowa Island (though I would LOVE to go there!).

We have family get togethers in the dells all the time, it is really cheap when you rent a home or cabin for a week - cheaper then one family in a hotel!

sunlightmlp 03-18-2013 02:44 PM

The Traverse City area is very nice. Lots of lakes (including Lake Michigan), the Leelenau peninsula, Sleeping Bear sand dunes, etc. Mackinac Island is nice, too.

poohbear1208 03-18-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sizzlemom
Looking for some good family vacation spots in the Michigan or Wisconsin area. We have gone to the Wisconsin Dells for years and now that the ENTIRE extended family wants to go, I just cannot imagine spending that much money on rooms there for 17 people!!

I am looking for someplace where there is plenty to do. There are 7 kids, all boys, raning in age from 1 - 11.

Any suggestions?

You could check out Craigslist for cheap timeshare rentals. We rented a 2 bedroom in the Dells that slept 6 last August for a week- entire stay only cost $475. Door County is also beautiful. We stayed in the Green Bay Area as well before- short drive to Chicago Six Flags, and Green Bay itself had lots to do

jbug_4 03-18-2013 03:47 PM

This place is great http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...6545--,00.html . But it has 3 bedrooms and a loft to the lodge. 1 bed room has a queen bed, 1 has a queen with twin bunk on top, 1 has double bed and a twin bed. The loft has a futon. If anyone likes camping I believe they allow camping in the yard of the lodge. The lodge is fully equipped even has cleaning supplies. when we were there we brought sugar and salt and stuff like that since we stayed a week, but all they was already there. The other cabins they have are rustic. http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandt...d=93&type=SPCG no bathrooms but they are very close. but the cabins are quite a ways from the lodge.

The park has beaches, volley ball, horse shoes, basket ball, a nice playground and walking trails. there is a tv but no service, you can hook your internet to it if you like but must have your own cords. We really liked it there. Unfortunately there is not a whole lot around there. So unless your into state park type stuff there isn't anything to do.

I probably wouldn't go to Mackinaw city is nice but I don't know what kind of rentals there are. And everything there will cost you. But you can ferry over to Mackinaw Island.

kelly_jeanie 03-18-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaJules (Post 16408301)
I grew up in Wisconsin, so of course I prefer going there :) Are you wanting to camp? Or are you preferring hotels? There are some nice state parks that we used to go to pretty frequently. Door County is nice, too.

Yes, if you're wanting to camp Door County has a GORGEOUS state park. It's expensive otherwise, though. Resort towns in northern Wisconsin, you should be able to find something for a large group, cabin or rental? Eagle River is popular but kind of reminds me of the Dells without the fun water parks, lol.

dressagemom 03-18-2013 08:04 PM

The Holland area is lovely! We have a great state park, beautiful beach, and great biking. I think that pretty much all the state parks on the west side of MI are great. We love to camp at Holland State Park, Orchard Beach State Park, Wilderness State Park, and Petoskey State Park (and Magnus City Park in Petoskey). Mackinaw City is fun; the fort is really neat for a wide variety of ages. We enjoy Mackinac Island, but it is kinda pricey for us. Another place to go is Hartwick Pines, which is a former logging camp.

I would say that there are plenty of state parks, places to get on the rivers and go tubing/rafting, lots of places to fish, hike, bike, etc.

aries416 03-19-2013 03:19 AM

I would say somewhere near Petoskey or Mackinaw City. There's so much to do! My mom grew up in the area and we have a house there. We're never bored!